Show off your pumpkin pics and tells us about the experience.
Hi guys,

I'm relatively new to elaborate pumpkin carving, and this is my first year carving foam. I got into foam, after having to throw away last year's creation, on a real pumpkin.

Anyway, here are my first pumpkins for this year. All are done using Michael's foam pumpkins, carved exclusively with an X-acto knife

First up, Undead Ted

And to show that it's really on a pumpkin, an altered version of the same picture

Next, Frankenstein's Monster

Wolfman

And creature from the black lagoon

Ted, is for a buddy of mine, I'm going for a Universal Monster theme, for myself. I'm just waiting for the pumpkins to go back on sale, so I can do a Lugosi Dracula.

I'm happy to take any constructive criticism, or answer any questions.

Take care.

-Fred
Last edited by Gigatron on Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:06 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Wonderful carves!

If you are going to continue to do foam 'kins I suggest investing in a hot knife. They sell them right near the foam pumpkins at Michaels this time of year but are usually found in the wood working section. They melt right through that foam like butter.
Thank you for the kind words, and welcomes, everyone :D .

I had considered using the versa tool (I used to do woodburning crafts, as a kid, and already have the base unit), but I like to carve while watching tv, and I don't want to get careless and burn down the house. The shavings are enough of a mess; the burning remnants of my house would probably be harder to clean up :lol: .

I look forward to learning a lot from you guys. I'd love to figure out how to do those shaded designs.

-Fred
Very nice job, you have some very clean lines on them. I just did wolfman tonight and not sure mine turned out as nice but maybe I can touch it up. I also planned on doing a universal monsters lineup this year. Great minds think alike.
Thank you very much, guys :D .

I try to convince people that are having parties, to let me do some carving work on the watermelons and such, but so far, no takers - oh well.

On my wolfman, I slipped and broke off one of his nostrils. Thankfully, foam goes back together, quite nicely, with some crazy glue. As far as lines, an X-acto #11 blade, X-acto keyhole saw and a lot of time, goes a long way :lol:

-Fred
Gigatron wrote:Hi guys,

I'm relatively new to elaborate pumpkin carving, and this is my first year carving foam. I got into foam, after having to throw away last year's creation, on a real pumpkin.

-Fred
Great carves, and I got into foam a few years ago for the same reason, killed me to watch my hard work get moldy and gross. Really that Frankenstein is excellent, think he'll be next for me.