Any creepy topic that doesn't fit the categories below.
Hey everyone! Some of you may know that a large retailer has put out a petition to move Halloween to the last Saturday of the month. In their petition they clearly state that it will help them make more profit.

I feel outraged that a company should be allowed to put out such a petition. Especially considering that they are ignoring the historical roots of the holiday. You can read what people are saying on this forum thread: http://hauntforum.com/showthread.php?t=18358

HELP OUT by signing the "Keep it 31" petition: http://www.petitiononline.com/KEEPIT31/ ... -sign.html

Spread the word!

Sure Halloween is GREAT when it lands on a Saturday, but have we forgotten that we enjoy this holiday almost year round? We engage in activities throughout the entire month of October. Lets not commercialize Halloween more than it already it.

Thanks for any support you can send our way!

Johnny Love
By Cheef
signed. wouldnt be the same if it wasnt on the 31st to me..
By sodajazz
What a crock, thats got to be some kind of joke.

No-one can change a 'holiday' just to suit retailers pockets.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Thanks for posting this JohnnyL. I heard about this petition to move Halloween to the last Saturday of the month. I don't like it. Just doesn't feel right. What's next, telling us Christmas shouldn't be December 25th? Should we change all our birthdays to the nearest weekend or day with the best weather forecast?

There are certain benefits to having Halloween land on different days of the week. I used to like dressing up and showing off my costume at school or work. These places often hold fun events on the day.

If I wanted to talk profit, I could point out that Zombie Pumpkins probably does better when Halloween is on a Monday (because people can carve pumpkins all weekend).

It doesn't really matter what day Halloween falls on, people will always have "observed" events like costume parties on the closest weekend.

And I have much respect for the history and roots of the holiday. It's All Hallows Eve, of course. The night before All Saints Day.

I like celebrating Halloween for the entire month of October. Why risk cutting the haunting season short if the closest Saturday lands before the October 31.
By JohnnyL
You're welcome! I need everyones help to repost this anywhere you can. I'd like to reach a couple thousand signatures this week.

Facebook it, myspace it, twitter it etc. Ill make some website banners today. Anyone good at graphic design shoot me a PM. I have a logo made up for the campaign already.
By SaneInsideInsanity
I'm not eligible to sign it unfortunately which means if the petition is lmt to residents of the US would it only be the US in which this is applicable like thanksgiving? Either way i don;t like it one bit. Thanks for the link is there a facebook group against it yet?
By SuperSonic
SaneInsideInsanity wrote:I'm not eligible to sign it unfortunately which means if the petition is lmt to residents of the US would it only be the US in which this is applicable like thanksgiving? Either way i don;t like it one bit. Thanks for the link is there a facebook group against it yet?
i just signed it
By GUS
Just imagine me going red in the face, swearing like a trooper & you'll get the gist of how I feel about stripping the proper date of it's worth!

A$$hole! (all he see's are dollars in that statement) ..I've completely lost respect for Spirit Stores, ..that statement, bigger paychecks, 30% more spent, ..lets get America back on it's feet again ..well buddy, asides from the fact that most of your workers are store front salespeople & seasonal, how much of your gear is marked as made in America ..rather than MADE in CHINA??
I understand there are a few all year round halloween stores but imagine it's very marginal based on his business model of short term rental of redundant stores.

farcical.
By CombichristGirl
Should we change all our birthdays to the nearest weekend or day with the best weather forecast?
can u imagine callin ur family and job? yeah i know but this weekend would be better bcause its sunny. but ur birthdays not til march. i know but this just works better lol
By paddy_babe
gaah I cant sign but really want to.... the WHOLE point of halloween is its the day before All Saints Day.... it has been like this since the beginning and now so fecking SHOP wants to change it to make money!! grrrrrr :x

"get America out of the reccession" I'm sorry but thats bull! they are just trying to to make people feel 'un-american' if they dont sign! ughhhhh

any news on a uk petition to stop it or is it just for usa as the change will only be in effect in the usa? (if its passed you all should boycott the new day!)
:x :x
By JohnnyL
Thanks everyone for helping out and showing your support!

I definitely encourage you guys to signup on www.HalloweenForum.com and checkout this thread: http://www.halloweenforum.com/general-h ... rever.html

Then, voice your opinion. Reason I'm pointing you there is because that's one of the most popular Halloween forums that Spirit sponsors, thus I'm sure they're browsing that thread.

Johnny
By carvingjunkie
i just signed it! It Should stay on the 31!!!
Last edited by carvingjunkie on Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By The Captain
I have it set to post on my blog tomorrow. I don't think anyone would change a holiday because some costume company thinks we should. I did find an article about the idea dating back as far as 2005 though, not having anything to do with this company though.