Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By Joey
So, I was carving with a friend yesterday, and she was saying that if you cut a pumpkin open from the bottom, it'll last longer because it keeps the stem attatched. I'm a traditional top cutter, and I haven't actually seen anything about the top VS bottom thing. So, anyone have any input?
By Nikki
I have no idea but it sounds like this could be a pumpkin experiemt 8)
By GeologySage
"it'll last longer because it keeps the stem attatched."

I don't trust that... I would think that while there might still be some nutrients etc. in the stem, it wouldn't make that much of a difference because the stem is dried out etc.

I would think that cutting out the bottom would be worse because the bottom is open to the ground where little beasties (both bugs and microspcopic) can get into the base etc. Plus I would think from cutting out the base you would be limiting the support of the pumpkin and it would 'sink'/'smoosh' into the ground quicker because of the lack of proper support.

We should all research this and find outt he details etc.

I myself always cut in the top because my jack-o-lanterns always have a slightly crooked top sitting up on top. I dunno, I just think it looks more classic...
By Jack
cutting out the bottom of the pumpkin to keep it fresh longer could be right,cause they say never pick a pumpkin up by the stem if you break the stem off it won't last as long but I don't know for sure
By Dragon
The only thing I heard about is that it is easier to light a candle and set a pumpkin over it than to reach inside and try to light it from the top. But I haven't heard anything about it lasting longer...

I also cut the top myself.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I can't see why cutting the bottom would make it last longer. To me, I see more drawbacks to bottom cuts, compared to cutting a top lid (for the reasons GeologySage mentioned).

I think the main benefits to a bottom hole would be... it's easier to place a pumpkin over an already lit candle... and it just looks "cleaner" to have the top of your pumpkin untouched and natural.

But I'm used to jack-o-lanterns with lids. That's the tradition, and that's my preference at least. :)

As for lighting candles deep inside a pumpkin, those "long lighter thingies" are certainly the way to go. I have a few Scripto multi-purpose utility lighters.

If you can find one, go with their Wind Resistant Outdoor Utility Lighter. Its "jet flame" is like a mini blow torch flame that won't blow out. This item is hot, so to speak.
By Dragon
Yup. That's what I use. I just slide it through a hole anywhere in the carving to reach the candle and light it up. I love it.
By Niceworkbonedaddy
i do both versions and they all rott in the same amount of time and depending on if you cut a chimney in the top you can have a burnt in side pumpkin pretty quick so either way you gotta cut part of the top....
By GeologySage
I do chimneys too. I think that they're cool lol. A little pumpkin with a chimney...

Some day I'll design a self cutting/mounting device that looks like a mini gnarly brick chimney that can go on top of your pumpkin and I'll make millions hehehe...
By Niceworkbonedaddy
god idea geologysage........i think they are cool and ill buy your first chimney :wink:
By Dragon
I also cut chimneys as well! I light a candle, put the lid on, wait a few minutes, and then where a blackened spot is, I cut that part out so that the heat can escape.
By haloween enthusiast
i do cut the top as well however i do not cut a chimeny for the fact that a lot of lgiht escapes thro the top hole haveing a chimenly liek that and all the heat can escape thro the front alsot if u want a very cool effect that rlayl scares ppel u cas set up a table and have one jackolantern witha roundmoutha nd a small hole in the back where u sit as logn as u are unseen and spray it it with a flamably gas (wd 40 works well) causeing the jackolantern to spit fire so to speak it is a very cool effect.
By Hollow
if u want a very cool effect that rlayl scares ppel u cas set up a table and have one jackolantern witha roundmoutha nd a small hole in the back where u sit as logn as u are unseen and spray it it with a flamably gas (wd 40 works well) causeing the jackolantern to spit fire so to speak
Just a friendly reminder

P ull the safety pin at the top of the extinguisher.
A im the nozzle, horn, or hose at the base of the flames.
S queeze or press the handle.
S weep from side to side at the base of the fire until it goes out.
By haloween enthusiast
lol thanks and i know. however if you try it, it is a very cool effect that really gives them a scare