Show off your pumpkin pics and tells us about the experience.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Finally found the time to sort through my 2014 pumpkin photography. On with the show!

Let's begin with the classic looking Scaredy Cat. I imagine this cat has spent his life catching birds, and is now being haunted by the skeletal spirit of one of his formerly feathered victims. Also notice the mouse trying to climb into the lid.

Speaking of scared, the Scared to Death skull looks even more panicked when he has spindly arms outstretched in fear.

This scary teddy was one of my new Halloween purchases this year, and he inspired his own Teddy Fear pattern. I'm happy with this photo, it looks like he's climbing onto the pumpkins.

Here's one in foam, which I spray painted black and speckled with green. Regan and her possessive demon lurking in the background.

An alternate Exorcist shot is next, this time Regan is communing with Captain Howdy via Ouija board.

Next, here's the Witch from Snow White. She's offering two apples here, one carved into the design, and one in reality. Added some lit branches as if she's just arrived through the forest.

I knew some trick-or-treaters would recognize the Witch, but in an effort to really give the kiddies some chills, I knew I had to carve some Frozen pumpkins. So I did both Elsa and Anna on one pumpkin.

For Olaf, I could NOT resist stacking pumpkins. Head and arms on top, his "butt" on the lower pumpkin. C'mon, it just seems natural, right? "Do you wanna build a snowmaaaaan?"

A double-carve and a stacked snowman. Made for a unique Frozen display. The small highlights in the eyes of the princesses was done with a power drill. I also considered adding a layer of "frost" on top with that spray snow that comes in a can. But I canned that idea when I read "flammable, keep away from candle flame" on the warning label. Didn't want to accidentally make some toasted marshmallows.

I carved Slimer in a watermelon this summer, but he just had to be reincarnated for this Halloween's Ghostbuster celebration. I projected a slime splat behind him, as if he just flew through the wall and left his mark.

And then came the epic undertaking of carving all four Ghostbusters onto a single pumpkin. What made it challenging was that the pumpkin was a cumbersome 50 pounds! When I cut it open, I noticed that there wasn't much inside to scoop out. Which seemed convenient at first, until I realized that meant the bulk of the pumpkin's weight was in the pumpkin shell itself.

I staggered the 'busters so the designs sort of interlocked. It ended up looking like a Mount Rushmore of ghost exterminators instead of US Presidents. You can just about see all 4 faces at once, but here's a turn around to give each guy a moment in the spotlight:

The white fabric in the background is meant to be reminiscent of the curtains in the hallway of the Sedgewick Hotel where the guys first encountered Slimer.

And of course, here's Slimer grouped with the guys, threatening to leave his ectoplasmic calling card. I like that you can't see what Slimer is propped on, so he almost looks like he's flying behind them.

Group shot time! 9 pumpkins, but character 12 stencils used.

This next one isn't the best photo (it was starting to rain) but shows how we had them displayed in the yard on Halloween night. My cousins came with Doctor Who and American Horror Story pumpkins to add to the group (they're on the left side of the porch steps).

Notice that I had the Frozen girls raised up to kid height, and placed slightly in front. I knew the kids would spot them right away. And sure enough...

When you're waiting for candy-seeking kids to arrive, usually a doorbell ring lets you know they're outside your door. But this year the cue to answer the door was the sound of each kid shouting "Hey, it's Elsa and Anna! Oh, and they have Olaf!" Boy, if I didn't already know the character names before Halloween, it would surely be drilled into me by the end of this night. Also, one little girl demanded to know, "Where's Kristoff!" She seemed offended that I left out that character. Sorry kid, can't have it all.

The Frozen pumpkins were in danger of taking attention away from my other pumpkins, like the Ghostbusters quartet which was a lot of work. I purposefully placed the Ghostbusters next to and slightly behind the Frozen pumpkins, so that every time a parent took a picture of their daughter dressed as Elsa (and there were a LOT) next to the Frozen pumpkins, they'd also have to get the Ghostbusters in the shot. Haha. The GB boys were lost on the little kids,BUT their parents are just the right age to be nostalgic for 80s comedy. So thankfully the boys in grey got lots of attention from those parents!

Overall, the reaction to the pumpkins was great. Almost every trick-or-treater and their parents were complimenting the carving. Everyone was taking photos. They seemed more interested in the pumpkins than the candy. It's a lot of work, but the reactions make it worth it. Not to mention, I now have these photos that will never rot or mold. It was a good year.

Couldn't have put on this display by myself. Carving credit: I carved Ray, Peter, Egon, Winston, Regan, Exorcist Demon, Elsa, Anna, Teddy Fear, and Scaredy Cat. My mom carved Scared to Death, Olaf, Snow White Witch, and Slimer. My cousin and her friend carved the 11th Doctor and Twisty the Clown.

By monstermash
That Ghostbusters Quartet is just ridiculous Ryan! I've seen houses smaller. It's even got a great curly stem. Always sublime, the carves, the photos, the lighting, the props I really don't know how you find the time. And big thumbs up to mum as well her carves are fabulous. Maybe I'm just a meanie but I never think to carve specifically for the Trick or Treaters so it's really nice that you carved the frozen gang for them. The ones that came to me recognised the Witch too but no one else. Maybe one year i'll force myself to carve a cutesy pattern for the kiddies, maybe. :lol: Congratulations on a wonderful year of carving and patterns making. May the next big holiday be a little quieter for you. *cough although a Scrooge pattern wouldn't go a miss *cough *cough* :wink:
Fantastic carves and displays! I did the exact same thing with the ghostbusters. 47 pound pumpkin, patterns shrunk to 80% and staggered, except mine were in the exact opposite order. Oh, and mine weren't quite as clean looking nor photographed so nicely. Great job Ryan, and great year for patterns! :thumbsup:
By Ajax
I could go on for hours about your lighting, photography and set ups but I think you know there brilliant. 4 Ghostbusters on one kin is really impressive, carved them myself and they were no small feat my guess that took you 2-4 hours maybe more and it looks awesome. I like the scene you set from the movie I wish I had of done something like that. Your frozen carves and set up stand out as well, I love with you did with orlaf so obvious but I didn't think of it and it looks great. Where did you get Teddy Fear I want one you made him come to life with your picture. Also where can I get those vine hands? They really look cool in your photos. Everything you did looks perfect the carves, your tops (it looks like you carve from the bottom because the tops don't show but I'm quite sure you said you don't), you can tell everything was thought out with care and it really shows. Thank you for all the great patterns and another great year. All I can say is Wow!!! :thumbsup:
By Ajax
Speaking of how you were going to put snow on the frozen Kins I was going to melt marshmallows and put it on my ghostbuster Kins but thought it might take away I should have tried it.
By amandap80
Excellent photos, Ryan. I am constantly jealous of your lighting and staging. The GB boys are my absolute favorite.
Thank you for all the nice comments everyone! :D
monstermash wrote:Maybe I'm just a meanie but I never think to carve specifically for the Trick or Treaters so it's really nice that you carved the frozen gang for them.
Yeah, part of the fun of carving is seeing the excited reactions so I do like carving at least something that will be recognizable to the kids that stop by on Halloween. I wonder if it takes attention away from my other carvings though. Especially something like Frozen. Everyone went nuts for those, and I wanted to say, "Yeah but, I have some original designs over here, like this skull I call 'Scared to Death.' Does anyone like that? Anyone? No? Just the Frozen ones? Ok then."
Mayor of Haddonfield wrote:I did the exact same thing with the ghostbusters. 47 pound pumpkin, patterns shrunk to 80% and staggered, except mine were in the exact opposite order.
Oh really? 80% reduced? That sounds like a challenge. I did my Ghostbusters at the regular print size. And I almost had trouble carving all the guys - partly because my pumpkin was juicy and had a thick rind - but also because it's tiring to hold such a heavy pumpkin in my lap while carving 4 patterns consecutively. I carved the first face and thought, "Normally I'd be done with this carving, but I'm only 25% through the process on this one!"
Ajax wrote:Where did you get Teddy Fear I want one. You made him come to life with your picture.
I taped the teddy's hands to the pumpkin for that photo, to make him looked posed and more alive. And he's sitting on a box hidden behind the pumpkin, to raise him up. I bought the bear at a store called Halloween City (a seasonal off-shoot of Party City stores). I don't think he had a tag, so I don't know if he has an official name or manufacturer. He sings a creepy rhyme when you squeeze his hand.
Ajax wrote:Also where can I get those vine hands?
Pumpkin Vine Arms (and legs and stems) are by Villafane Studios. You can order direct from their website, or search online for other sellers. You can also find them in some retail stores around Halloween. I bought some at CVS and (again) Halloween City.
Ajax wrote:(it looks like you carve from the bottom because the tops don't show but I'm quite sure you said you don't)
I didn't even realize it, but it does look like that. In my photos it's hard to see the seam of the lid on the top. Total accident. I didn't do anything special to hide it. I guess I just cut cleanly, and since I make a sharp notch shape in the back of my lids, it's easy to place them on straight.
sloaner wrote:Haha I bought that skeleton bird too.
Skeleton animals were big in 2014. I ended up buying two of those bone birds. I bought the first one because I just thought it was cool, but then I saw them in another store and I liked the design of the second one better (its eyes are more on the side, and it looks a little meaner). I got them at CVS and Target. Can't remember which store had which.