Talking about spooky store scores and online oddity offerings.
By zombombie
Recently I've been getting into board games more and more, and if that board game is horror themed, then of course I'm going to be even more intrigued. So I thought I'd share with you some of the games I've been playing and maybe pique your interest in finding out more!

Arkham Horror is a co-operative board game in which each player takes a role of an investigator in the small town of Arkham. It's based on HP Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos which had me hooked from the start! The aim is to gather elder signs to close and lock gates to the other-worlds - through these gates pass monsters which you need to fight if you confront them. While you play, the Great Old One (you shuffle the cards to decide which Great Old One is in play, it could be Cthulhu, Shub Niggurath or another Lovecraftian deity) begins to wake up and if it does the investigators must fight to defeat it and save the world!

This game can last a few hours but once it gets going and the gates are open and the monsters are moving around the board, it can be a lot of fun, but it can be pretty difficult to win and to keep track of all the effects that are in play at once. One nice thing (apart from the price of them...) is that there are expansions available making the board bigger and the monsters different.

Betrayal at House on the Hill is absolutely one of my favourite recent board games (and it's a good bit quicker than Arkham Horror). You play as a group of people searching a haunted house, the twist is that the house builds around you in the form of tiles.

So every time you play, the house is different, so you never know what room you'll step into next...

The second twist is that some time during the game the 'Haunt' will begin. This means that something will be out to kill you and your team of friends, and one of your friends will turn traitor to try and help complete that goal. There are FIFTY haunts that can be chosen from meaning that every time you play the game it's almost impossible that you'll play it the same way twice.

These are the 2 horror themed board games that I've played the most recently, but I've also played some horror dice and card games as well that have been lots of fun and quite quick. Is anyone else into gaming? Has anyone else played either of these?

Sorry for the massive post but I thought that these 2 games especially would be up this community's alley :twisted:
By Raven
Years ago me and some friends spent many nights playing Atmosfear The Harbingers. It came with an interactive VHS tape. I'm not sure if they have an updated version with DVD. I remember it being a pretty involved game and we must have had fun because it became a weekend ritual for a while. I still have the game in storage and just looked at it this past weekend. I almost brought it home and maybe I should go back and get it.

By pagemaster1993
I'm not big on board games, being that I don't have people to play with. I am personally like Heroscape, but that's not very horror related.

I do know of some: Monster Madness, which I learned about from Board James

http://cinemassacre.com/2011/09/23/boar ... r-madness/

and then theres all the Goosebumps board games I know off

Terror In The Graveyard

Shrieks And Spiders

One Day At Horrorland

A Night In Terror Tower

No good picture

and finally Welcome To Horrorland

I actually own the Welcome To Horrorland, but only played it once. I got it mainly because its Goosebumps.

I know the Goosebumps games is probably more entitled for kids, but it's all I really know about board games. That is besides the originals(Monopoly, Sorry, and et cetera).
By monstermash
There was a board game we had as children that I always loved playing. I think it might have been called Haunted House but i'm not sure. It was my uncles when he was a child so it was from the 60's and a bit tatty looking. The set up was a flat board that had a kind of pop-up house in the middle with a chimney that you did something with. There were witches that I think you used as counters and thats about all I remember. I don't even know if we rolled dice or answered questions or anything. All I remember is how cool I thought it was and that it was a bit spooky looking. I might do some trawling of images online and try and find it. I'd love to see it again, bet it looks rubbish now!
By monstermash
Yeah thats the one. The older version at the bottom. I think it's 70's rather than 60's. Its all coming back to me know. You played as one of the little plastic boys or girls and the witches were on cards. I'm sure the witch in the painting on the wall had a huge nose which always made me chuckle. Ah memories. :) I wish I still had it.
By purple1worm
Cool board games. Haven't played one in years. I do remember one that came with a vhs,it had a character called the gatekeeper in it. Don't remember the name of it though. :D
By Raven
purple1worm wrote:Cool board games. Haven't played one in years. I do remember one that came with a vhs,it had a character called the gatekeeper in it. Don't remember the name of it though. :D
I think that is the Atmosfear game I posted above.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I remember seeing TV commercials for the game that had the Gatekeeper on VHS presiding over the proceedings. Apparently Atmosfear put out several installments in that series, with different characters/actors playing the hosts on the TV screen. I remember thinking it was such a cool concept at the time. Although, I've never played it. In fact, I haven't played any of the games you've all mentioned here. But if we all hung out, I'd be glad to play any of these games with any of you. :)
By pagemaster1993
purple1worm wrote:Cool board games. Haven't played one in years. I do remember one that came with a vhs,it had a character called the gatekeeper in it. Don't remember the name of it though. :D
Do you think it may be this game(in video)?:

http://cinemassacre.com/2009/05/27/boar ... gonstrike/

On another note I think I just came up with the best board game idea ever! Zombie Pumpkins!: The Board Game. You play as a human who is forced to carve pumpkins for Halloween if you don't you will be attacked by the Zombie Pumpkins! You would have to have 2 or more players. One person playing as the human/humans and one playing the Zombie Pumpkins! hoard. You could go around collecting pumpkins and then have to find a knife/carving tool to turn that pumpkin into a Jack-O'-Lantern. The more Jack-O'-Lanterns you carve the less damage you take from the Zombie Pumpkins! attacks.

Now all we have to do is convince our great Patch Master Ryan to help develop it, and sell it in the Shocking Shop.
By sloaner
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:I remember seeing TV commercials for the game that had the Gatekeeper on VHS presiding over the proceedings. Apparently Atmosfear put out several installments in that series, with different characters/actors playing the hosts on the TV screen. I remember thinking it was such a cool concept at the time. Although, I've never played it. In fact, I haven't played any of the games you've all mentioned here. But if we all hung out, I'd be glad to play any of these games with any of you. :)
I am surprised that you never played that Ryan. I only played it a few times, but also played the first one call Nightmare. I should look for one of the DVD's.
By purple1worm
RavensDestiny wrote:
I think that is the Atmosfear game I posted above.

I think you be right it probably was but I didn't recognize the name. Cool game I played it many times!
By zombombie
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:I remember seeing TV commercials for the game that had the Gatekeeper on VHS presiding over the proceedings. Apparently Atmosfear put out several installments in that series, with different characters/actors playing the hosts on the TV screen. I remember thinking it was such a cool concept at the time. Although, I've never played it. In fact, I haven't played any of the games you've all mentioned here. But if we all hung out, I'd be glad to play any of these games with any of you. :)
Should you ever somehow find yourself in my neck of the woods you'll always have a spot at the board boss :)