Show off your pumpkin pics and tells us about the experience.
Finnaly got my first foam carve of the season done :) Also my first go at it with the versa tool.....I really like that thing! I picked an easier pattern to get the hang of it...but I think I'm ready to roll now. 1 down 14 more foamies to go in the next couple weeks. I love this time of year :D
Last edited by jonmf77 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nice work, and a classic pattern! The Versatool really makes thing faster, doesn't it?
"Heeeeeeeere's jonmf77"

Glad to hear of your success story with the foam and tool. Great pattern choice too. Pretty striking, but the lines aren't too detailed actually. Can't wait to see what you tackle next.
By jonmf77
#2 is in the books. Had to shrink the pattern down to about 85% to get it to fit on the candy corn (which made it a tad tougher)....Yep you heard right....a candy corn :wink:

It was nice finding out that I can actually make the patterns smaller. Works out much better than trying to fit a full size pattern on a little guy which I was originally going to try.
By sloaner
Very nice carve. I think that is the first candy corn one I have seen carved. I almost bought one of those myself. Also if you plan on carving lots of pumpkins this year you might want to put everything in one thread. That way we can see your whole 2012 collection easier.
By jonmf77
Thanks guys :) Ya the Versa tool makes for a much smoother carve. I used a dremel last year to do a freddy & a Jason both on Michael's pumpkins......yikes......way to many jagged edges. I may try and touch those 2 up once I'm finished with the new ones........Although IMO jagged edges dont look half bad on Freddy. Kinda adds a bit of flavor to that whole burn look he's got going on.

Side note: A dremel does work great on Funkins! I've got a few of thoes too.....but I think I'll finish up all the Michael's I have first. Prob easier to work on one skill at a time I'm thinking :)
By jonmf77
Thanks guys :)

@ Sloaner - One thread prob makes more sense. What's the best way to go about it....Just keep adding on to the first post?
By monstermash
jonmf77 wrote:Thanks guys :)

@ Sloaner - One thread prob makes more sense. What's the best way to go about it....Just keep adding on to the first post?
You can keep adding to your first post or just post a new reply.
That's also the first candy corn I've seen carved. Captain Spaulding is a colorful clown, he seems to be appropriate for the candy corn.
jonmf77 wrote:Thanks guys :)@ Sloaner - One thread prob makes more sense. What's the best way to go about it....Just keep adding on to the first post?
I merged your threads for you. Hope that's cool. Usually we each post all our carvings for one season in one thread. (unless there's some lengthy story or other reason to split something into a separate topic).

Some people like to just keep editing their first post with new pics, so all their photos are bunched together in one post at the top.

But... since I often use the little shortcut icons ( Image) to skip to the latest new post within a thread, I tend to miss the new stuff if it's at the start of the thread. So personally I just keep tacking the updates onto the end.

If you do post new pics onto the end of your thread, what you might also want to do is update the title of the first post in the thread. Such as "jonmf77's 2012 Carves - Updated 10/3/12 - Captain Spaulding" so we know there's new stuff in the thread.

I'm over-explaining things. Post away and enjoy! :lol:
The Captain looks awesome. Now that I think about it. I believe my local Michael's did not even carry those Candy Corn Craft Pumpkins. Other wise I may have got one.