Talking about spooky store scores and online oddity offerings.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
There are 3 Spirit stores opening in my general area. Of course I'll check them all out, likely multiple times. I've only stopped by one so far.

They were still setting up, so not all the props were on display yet. There were a lot of half-emptied boxes to step over. But I got a good idea of the offerings, and even rooted through a couple boxes to find the treasures I was seeking.

Unlike other stores where I took photos of a couple Halloween shelves, that's not really possible here because the whole store is Halloween. Just about any product you can imagine for Halloween, they'll have it. So I just took photos of a few notable items I liked.

Spirit sure loves their zombie babies. Admittedly very creepy. Would you want to change his diaper?

If this prop isn't named "ankle biter" it sure should be...

Looks like Frankenstein's monster, the Wolf Man and Dracula had kids, and of course they all attend the same daycare...

What I like about Spirit stores is that they aren't limited to just the bagged Halloween costumes that your average department store might carry (although, they have plenty of those too). But Spirit is one of the only places you can go to find crazy life-size props, like this electrifying personality...

If it's these life-size animated props you like... well take your pick! Here are the boxes for just a few...

It was cool to see some well known properties given the prop treatment, even something as recent as The Walking Dead. Who joins another famous creepy kid...

Spirit stores also try to get a-head of their competition with props like these...

The hanging heads, zombie babies and similar items are seemingly made with a latex outside, and a lightweight foam fill. Here's a particular nasty torso. Limb-less and hung by tongue. Ouch...

All sort of creeps hanging out in here...

Life-size skeletons? Oh, the project possibilities are endless...

There's no lack of skulls in here, but I liked this one in particular. It was labeled as a "mummy skull" but to me it looks like burnt skull, with muscle tissue exposed. I'm sure many of you would be crafty enough to create this effect on a blank skull. Or just skip the work and buy this bonehead for 13 bucks...

These are pretty neat. They had other similar products too, but here we have a pumpkin and an urn. They appear blank at first, but then their eerie faces light up when triggered. Animated while they talk, too...

I loved this zed, and I might go back for him. A "Tabletop Zombie" who is around 1/2 a foot from waist to head. He plays a creepy tune while swaying side to side like an uncoordinated zombie might...

These tall ceramic mugs were also quite viscous looking. I'd gladly drink my poisons from any of these...

Several black vessels for your blood and brew...

Ok, now let me show you what I actually bought. First, I picked up this weathered metal lantern. This is exactly what I was looking for, to use on a prop I have in mind for Halloween...

And finally... when you see this picture, you'll know why I had to have this. A hanging pumpkin head, that can only be assumed to be a zombie pumpkin. Look at this rotten guy, with his warts and all. Too ugly to be chosen in the pumpkin patch, he had to tear open his own mouth. Love this beast...

By nosferatu
All that stuff is fantastic. Sadly, we will have the same standard of tat in our shops. Useless. I love the monster babies and that pumpkin is wicked.
By monstermash
Im positively green with envy. I would give my right arm to have a life sized skeleton that didn't cost the earth. Did you by any chance see how much that one cost? Your picks are great to Ryan, luckily I have a few real old storm lanterns but you can never have too many. Don't know what the big deal is with zombie babies though, I find them a tiny bit tasteless. Each to their own though.

I can tell you right now what crap we'll get in UK stores, even though theres nothing much to be found yet. Tiny plastic gravestones that aren't at all realistic, few rubber bats, bag of cobwebs. Done. :cry:
Indeed, a lot of the items in Spirit could be considered tasteless. Or simply just gross and nasty. It's all fun to look at, but not all of it is my taste, which is why I only brought home a couple select items. Also, much of it is just mass produced plastic and rubber, which might lack the attention to detail that you get with something you make yourself.

All that said... they do have a huge selection to cater to almost any Halloween fan. Many other stores sell costumes, and certain shops aim for a "classier" selection of harvest themed products. But when it comes to the freaky products for the home haunter, it's really hard to beat what Spirit offers.
By SuperSonic
I REALLY like the Pumpkin Head. Why not turn him into a pattern?
I think I actually saw the Face Changing Pumpkin somewhere else, but it was cheaper. I think it may have been Halloween City, but I am not sure.
The sundries are very creepy. It is funny, here in german you can´t buy such creepy stuff. If I decorate with creepy stuff, the children don´t come for trick or treat because the have to much fear :lol:
By nosferatu
I have just emailed their customer service pleading for a UK franchise or at least UK shipping. Doesn't harm to ask.......
By monstermash
nosferatu wrote:I have just emailed their customer service pleading for a UK franchise or at least UK shipping. Doesn't harm to ask.......
I'm sure there would be a decent market here for decent props. I think if people knew what great stuff is out there, you'd see more and more people getting into halloween. They'd make enough money of us Brits on this forum alone!