Classics or modern, discuss your picks for the sickest flicks.
By ghostface
I went to see this movie last night and I loved it! I highly recommend it. It had the elements of horror and comedy. It had characters that would, in my opinion, be great for patterns. The 2 that popped up for me was Johnny Depp as Barnabas Collins & Helena Bonham Carter as Dr. Julia Hoffman. But I think all the characters would make good patterns! :D
By ghostface
It was utterly fantastic, in my opinion. :D
By pagemaster1993
Saw it yesterday. It was awesome. I cannot wait to get it on DVD. I also hope to someday see the original shows.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
My two-cents on Dark Shadows (borrowing from the comments I tweeted right after seeing the movie):

I went in with low expectations (after reading some iffy reviews) and a Burton bias, so I thought it was at least decent.

I liked the dark humor and gothic visuals, but the story could have used stronger focus, fewer meandering soap opera sub-plots.

Some highlights though: 60s/70s music, couple fun cameos (Alice Cooper is an ugly woman), and monstrous characters.

And the Collins family gets bonus points for having a pumpkin patch in front of their manor. The plot kicks off in October.

By ghostface
I loved the fact that it took place in October. "That's why there's punkins." :) But, I'm hoping to see a few Dark Shadows patterns pop up here and there this year. :)
By Zombie Pumpkins!
ghostface - Yeah, it was great how they specifically mentioned the pumpkins and that it was October. Their pumpkin patch even had a scarecrow. At that moment, I was reminded that this was indeed a Tim Burton film.
By pagemaster1993
I too hope for a Barnabis Collins pattern, maybe a now and then though. One could be the original and the other could be Johnny Depp.
By vibhandaka
Any movie that starts out with "Nights in White Satin" gets an A from me. :D
By ghostface
I thought it put some spookiness to the beginning of the movie. :)
By monstermash
I can't say I was overly impressed with the film. I don't really know what to say about it. 4/10 for me :(
By staticfurball
cant wait to see it. Burton has a very unique interpretation of things. I wonder how it compares to the original series?
By ghostface
staticfurball wrote:cant wait to see it. Burton has a very unique interpretation of things. I wonder how it compares to the original series?
I have actually never seen the original series. I've been seeing it is getting some mixed reviews, I'm a die-hard Burton-Depp-Carter fan so I loved this movie. I actually went to see it twice! :D
By Raven
I'm late to the party here, but I finally saw this today. I thought Johnny Depp was fantastic as always, but I didn't think it was Burton's best film. For some reason it just didn't have that Tim Burton feel to it that I was hoping for. I still enjoyed it and even liked it, I just don't think it lived up to my expectations. I was quite in love with the car Angelique drove, however.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I had just about the same reaction, RavensDestiny. Oh well, we can look forward to Frankenweenie next. How did you manage to see Dark Shadows just now? I would think it's no longer being shown in major theaters, and not yet on on DVD/blu. Maybe one of those cheaper theaters that shows slightly older releases?