Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By lovestrong
Hi all,

I made my first pattern. I have a bit of hard time visualizing it on a pumpkin, so I was wondering, do any of you see something on here that is definitely wrong/something I need to modify because it is just not going to look right?

I am concerned mostly about the nose and ear. The ear baffles me, and I am worried I don't exactly know how to handle carving the nose. Make or break. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Kristen

Last edited by lovestrong on Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Kayo
im not sure about the pattern stuff but if it comes out well you should tweet it to Naya :P
By CombichristGirl
i personally would simplify the ear a little and i wouldnt actually "cut" through any parts. i would just more or less get the skin off for the grey and then go a little deeper for the white. good luck and cant wait to see the finished product :)
By lovestrong
ahh, CombichristGirl, you are a genius! I don't know why I didn't think of that. thanks!

have you tried shading using saral paper transfer?
By CombichristGirl
i havent just yet but would just "color" the pattern a certain way to distinguish
different levels. just examples, ...like the black could be just outlined and the grey be hash marks and may be white be hearts or skulls lol or hash marks made in a different direction :)
By Pumpken
It is much easier to carve if you glue the pattern to the pumpkin. Just coat the entire thing with a thin layer of elmers glue and apply it to the pumpkin. Let it dry overnight. You can carve right through the pattern. When you are done, soak it in hot water for about an hour and rinse the pattern and glue off.
By lovestrong
mesmark wrote:Yeah, with the ear, you'd have floating parts. The two tiered shaving sounds like a decent plan and maybe cut through all the way with the uniform.

You need something to encase it all. An oval seems simple, maybe from the shoulders up to the top of the ponytail.
mesmark - what do you think I should do about her hair? leave it as untouched pumpkin? I wonder if it'd look weird. 3 shaded pumpkin? I wonder if that'd be too difficult for a first time shaver.
By mesmark
Here's what I was thinking:

Or something like that. Another option is to try to connect your floating pieces in the ear. Get rid of anything that's not overly necessary and connect a few others.

It's such a bright section that I don't think it's going to matter. I erased the floating pieces and added a little shadow on the outside in the version above.
By mesmark
Sorry after looking at it more, I think you have some issues with the neck as well. I made the line extend all the way down to the uniform and added a shaded portion at the bottom just above the uniform as well.

Anyway, the main bit was the oval and getting the floating ear pieces in there.

I wouldn't want to do a two level shade pattern, but I'm sure it's just a matter of patience and being careful.