Chronicle your costume creation and share photos of your disguise.
By monstermash
If you have Coulrophobia turn back now, or don't...

Ok, so I decided to have a go at making a mask and a clown was the first thing that came to mind.
He is not finished and I've still to make a costume for him but here are a few pics of Creepy the Clown that i thought i'd share. Let me know what you think as ive never tried making a mask before. :)

***click the pics to make em bigger***

:twisted:
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Gah!!!!!! :shock: That's horrifying and excellent. Those teeth, oh my, those teeth.

And you've never made a mask before? Impressive. Can you tell us a little bit about how you constructed this? Did you take any pictures of the progress?
By monstermash
Hahaha I know, the teeth are horrific!!
I suppose I cheated in a way because I used an old mask as a base for my paper mache.
Here are some of the things I used including the old mask:

first I covered the mask in a layer or two of tin foil and then a layer of masking tape. Then I put plenty of layers of paper mache on using watered down glue and toilet paper. when I had enough layers on and it was bone dry I CAREFULLY cut down the center and took it off the old mask. Then seal it back up.

I used cotton wool to add the sores and the big lips. Styrofoam for the teeth and his rotten nose. I roughly drew out what I wanted before painting.

The hair was an old wig that I back combed and stuck on with hot glue. Painted with ordinary kids paint.

By GUS
nice mask, ..so who is dressing up as the sumo?
By monstermash
GUS wrote:nice mask, ..so who is dressing up as the sumo?
Well so far nobody will be using either mask. Weve had some laughs with that old sumo mask though. The size of it makes you look really bizarre.
I might use the clown mask if any kids come round. You know, scar them for life :twisted: :lol: Just kidding.
By CorpseBride
That is awesome!! Well done. Those are teeth are perfect...scary...and able to rip flesh off the bone with ease. I love paper mache! I have some projects in the works, and I think you have just inspired me to make a mask!
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Seeing the process makes me appreciate this all the more. Don't worry about cheating, you're just being practical. You could have just repainted the old mask and you'd still have my respect. But with your method, you still have 2 masks to work with. Both rather scary, in their own ways.

I've always wanted to make more masks myself. I like the idea of a half-mask, just for the face, because then I can hang them on my wall as art.
By monstermash
Its pretty tough finding storage places for these masks as they're big and semi breakable. Half masks would be easier to work with.

Update: My brother brought me a big pair of overalls from his work that i intend to pad out and distress for Creepy's outfit. I will of course take some pics when I get him assembled. Getting or making some big nasty looking clown shoes is my next task.
By monstermash
Noted. Thanks gus, they look perfect. Ive got the big overalls and ive padded and partly decorated them to look more clowny.
I will don the suit and take some pics as soon as the family with three small kids leave the holiday flat. It would be too mean to frighten them on their summer holiday.
By OrangeOrb
Great creepy clown mask!!! I can't wait to see the whole outfit. They make
LED lights for balloons now-a bunch of blinking balloons would complete the costume.
By monstermash
OrangeOrb wrote:Great creepy clown mask!!! I can't wait to see the whole outfit. They make
LED lights for balloons now-a bunch of blinking balloons would complete the costume.
Ive got those ballons already. Clean forgot about them. What a great idea Orb. Ive got the white ones. Black would be creepy, maybe I could spray some.