Chronicle your costume creation and share photos of your disguise.
Right then people I need some help,

I throw a Hallowen part once a year. Its not too fancy on the scale of you guys in the US but it is the only Halloween party round these shores so quite a few come.

Over the years I've gone as many a character, Jack Sparrow, BeetleJuice and Mr Incredible. This year I have my heart set on going as Mumm Ra from the classic 80's TV cartoon Thundercats. Now I'm not just talking the old mummy type mumm ra in the red cloak, Nooooo!!! That wouldn't nearly have the impact, no I'm talking about the big blue/grey guy he turns into, you know, crown, muscles big scary red eyes? Heck I'm even going down the gym to get buff for it, thats how serious I am.

Anyway I need some advice on how to go about this costume, 'cos to be honest I havent seen a single image of anyone who has gone to a party as this character. The crown/ helmet is the toughest one for me, I tried doing a prototype out of card and it ended up looking flat and well.... like a paper hat. If you need a reminder of what he looks like:

Yeah he's one scary dude and I would love to make the costume work, so any advice would be a bonus.

Dan
By Zombie Pumpkins!
No replies to this topic yet? I think you've stumped everyone, Dan. What's the weather like over there in October? Because... it looks like you won't have much for clothing to keep your newly muscle-bound body covered.

For the headpiece, I'd surf around the web looking for theatrical or replica helmets that look similar. I'd especially scour eBay. You won't find an exact match, but you might find something that looks close enough, which you can then modify. You could sew or glue strips of red and black fabric to it, and glue some toy or sculpted snakes on top.

I'm trying to give advice like I know what I'm doing, but I your costume concept is a bit ambitious, even for this Patch Master. Good luck!
By Dans banana Loafcake
Hey,

Ironically the helmet part of the costume is going really well. I'm using polypropylene sheets as opposed to card as its thick enough to hold its shape but doesn't fray like card. Plus its better for superglue use as well, I've sprayed it bronze and gold and it looks the business. I was going to post my progress but thought I'd hold back for the final result.

The rest of the costume is a mixed bag. The lenses and teeth are fine. I've got red lenses and dental distortion gremlin teeth. However, supprisingly I'm having trouble with the shin pads, I tried doing them out of polypropylene again but it proved too tricky. Hmmm, any other thoughts, I've already thought of modifying football (soccer) shin pads but not sure if this is the best way to go.

As for the gym, My arms are bigger and I'm getting a bit of definition in my shoulders and chest but the beer belly isn't going away! :( Mumm ra must like his grog. Hehe. Most of the brit parties for Halloween are indoors so the temperature out side shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Dan
By Pumpkingrower
This is going to sound freaky... but my wife rented this movie via Netflix called "Kinky Boots" about this guy from North Hampton, EN who has to save his 4th generation shoe factory by making boots for transvestites... I know.. *shaking head*

What if you found a cheap pair of oversized boots of the like that you cut down ro form the pointy top and stiffen with starch or lining the inside with some reinforcement cover with faux fur and the like. Or maybe a second hand pair of waders but I am not sure the rubber would be condusive to altering. I am considering going as Nickelodeon's Avatar but have problems sewing the costume myself.. nothing like the challenges you are having Good Luck. :)
By Dans banana Loafcake
Well here,
I've changed my mind and thought I'd show the helmet as it is at the moment cos without sounding too cocky, i think it isn't half bad.

Yes thats me trying to look half scarry, so I've got to work on that as well :D :lol: But the basic shape is there as regards to the helmet and all I have to do is buy a couple of plastic snakes at the toy store and a bit of material on the top and back.

Dan
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Dan, that Mumm-ra helmet looks awesome. You are devoted, that's for sure. I predict that you'll be the coolest looking Third Earth mutant in all of Staffordshire. Keep it up.
By Dans banana Loafcake
Hey just a bit of an update on where I am with the mumm ra costume, Ive pretty much finished the helmet now and I've got my mom working on the lyon cloth thingy. heres a photot of me trying to look mummraish, is that a word? It is now! I've got my teeth in and the red contacts but no blue face/body paint as yet.

Dan
By finklemyer
The helmet looks great . . . And I must know did it feel weird to ask your mother to make you a loin cloth?
By Wile E. Coyote
I thought I would chime in with a thought for the shin part and feet. Could you find a pair of boots or shoes and attach the hard plastic (like they use to make wall stencils with) to them. Paint them to suit and then attach (is it fur?) at the foot part, covering the top of the shoe? Once you have done that, slice the shoe at the toe about 1/2 way back and attach toes coming out of the end of the shoes to disguise the rest. My son was a werewolf last year and I did this to his VANS, I cut them where the sole meets the leather and attached claws to the soles themselves so it looked like his claws had burst out of the ends of the shoes. Just a suggestion, but it might work. The helmet is great!
By Dans banana Loafcake
finklemyer wrote:The helmet looks great . . . And I must know did it feel weird to ask your mother to make you a loin cloth?

Haha Yeah it did abit, but she was cool about it. It looks great now she's done it.

Yeah Coyote That sounds like a plan, I really cant do anything until the weekend but I shall keep everyone posted.

Dan
By Mister_JP
Keep going, Dan that is looking cool!

Side note: I suppose cosplayers mention this all the time, but it's obviously WAY easier for an artist to draw a charicter with strange costume then it is for someone to recreate said costume.
By Liderc
As a weight lifting freak myself, I was wondering how the body shaping was going for your kick ass costume?
By Dans banana Loafcake
Liderc wrote:As a weight lifting freak myself, I was wondering how the body shaping was going for your kick ass costume?
Not as good as I hoped, I've got love handles that just wont budge :cry: . I'm ok, I'm not over weight and I have got some decent definition on my arms, but I'm not tonned as such.

The parties in two weeks and I've been going to the gym twice a week and doing mountain walking so there really isn't much more I can do. Maybe three times but time is always aginst me.

Dan
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Just thought I'd chime in and say that the finished helmet looks amazing. And it even manages to contain that banana loafcake of yours. :lol: