Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
I have been using the dot to dot poke method, but when you are doing many pumpkins at once, your hand gets tired quick. It can also be difficult to follow the dots with a detailed pattern. Has anyone found a better way to transfer the stencil quickly? I don't use power tools, only the pumpkin carving saws. I read someone just carves through the paper itself. I may try that but just thought I would throw the question out there.

Thanks!
By cyberdman
Take any washable type glue - it could be a basic Elmer's glue, glue stick or even a spray-on glue adhesive - and apply to the back or your stencil. Stick your stencil to the pumpkin and wait for the glue to dry. Then carve right through the stencil using any carving tool or method. When you are done get the remainder of the paper still on the pumpkin wet and it will peel right off.

This is the only way I do it anymore. I am using the glue stick medium right now and have been wanting to try the craft store spray-on adhesive. I heard that works pretty good.

Good luck and have fun.
By Tkaraoke
cyberdman wrote:...it could be a basic Elmer's glue, glue stick or even a spray-on glue adhesive - and apply to the back or your stencil.
I went to Hobby Lobby today and when I asked the clerk about spray-on adhesives she just looked at me as if I was speaking another language. I was in such a hurry that I didn't have time to question someone else (like a manager) and I didn't see anything like that in the "glue" area/section. Do you think it could possibly be located in another department?
By cyberdman
We don't have a Hobby Lobby anywhere around here, but we have all kinds of JoAnns and Michaels. I just bought some spray adhesive at Michael's yesterday and it was located with the general craft supplies with all the other glue products. In the "aisle of glue." :lol:
By Tkaraoke
cyberdman wrote:bought some spray adhesive at Michael's yesterday and it was located with the general craft supplies with all the other glue products. In the "aisle of glue." :lol:
Is that next to the Halls Of Mentholyptis? ROFLMAO! :lol:

I don't expect an employee to know every single product they carry but she said she had never heard of a product like that. When I explained to her what it was and what I wanted to use it for her eyes lit up and agreed that would be a great way to transfer patterns. I figured if they did carry it I'd find it in the glue section. We have a Michael's down the way a bit so I'll drop in there and see if they have it.
By cyberdman
Good one! :lol: :lol:

Good luck on your hunt.
By Cheef
i was just in Lowes looking for that exact thing, but for a different project. they multiple brands of spray on adhesive. I might have to try that method out this year.
By Tkaraoke
I'm assuming that the spray on glue that cyberdman is talking about is washable as well. I'm going to be out that way tonight and see if I can find this elusive product.
By balsak40
I'm actually kinda afraid trying that on a "artificial" Pumpkin. I'm worried it won't come off. For the real deal, I would definately try it.
By Pumpkin King
I think the glue method is really only for real pumpkins. The funkins skin chips easily and I could see the glue picking it up while washing it off.
By Tkaraoke
Exactly, PK! I normally try to use removable tape when I attach the pattern to my Funkins and I still have problems with the tape removing flakes of paint. Being an artificial surface, you just have to accept that it's more that likely going to happen.
By Drayco
Pumpkin King wrote:I think the glue method is really only for real pumpkins. The funkins skin chips easily and I could see the glue picking it up while washing it off.
Tkaraoke wrote:Exactly, PK! I normally try to use removable tape when I attach the pattern to my Funkins and I still have problems with the tape removing flakes of paint. Being an artificial surface, you just have to accept that it's more that likely going to happen.
Actually your both only half right. The washable glue method can be used on both real or artificial pumpkins.

I wouldn't recommend it on Funkins because of the paint flaking issue but it works great on Michael's pumpkins like the one shown above.
By Liderc
So after reading this post, I've decided to try the paste method, and cutting right through the paper. Anything I should know before I go destroying a pumpkin ?=P

thanks in advance~