Hey, what's new with you? Tell us about yourself.
By quixotic
Hey everyone, i'm Angela and I live in Scotland, UK, last year was my first year discovering ZP and i'm glad I did or else i'd still be carving generic faces onto our home grown pumpkins! anyway I just wanted to say hello and i'm looking forward to my second year of carving awesome pumpkins :D

(Not looking forward to the hand ache though! After carving the 16th pumpkin I felt like I still had the craft knife in my hand even when I didn't!)
By Dredge
Welcome to the forums! Glad you decided to post. Wow, 16 pumpkins! You will definitely fit in around here. :wink:
By Hottie McNaughty
Hello and welcome! Ah yes, the dreaded 'carving hand'. Is it bad that i sort of look forward to it every year?

Can't wait to see your carves this year!
By quixotic
Hello! hope you both are well, how many pumpkins do you carve per year? I seen that overseas there are such a thing as foam pumpkins, I wish they sold them here as it would be good to have some which were lasting rather than our pumpkins just going into the compost bin the day after! sadly Halloween isn't overly celebrated in the UK so it's pretty hard to get Halloween crafts or any decent decorations in general.
By Hottie McNaughty
I think I did something like 30 last year. I try to do one a day for the whole month of October. I usually bust out about 3 a day in the nights leading up to the big day.
By quixotic
The 16 pumpkins weren't all done in one sitting, just incase you were wondering! I think i'd have passed out if I had done them all one after the other, I done them over a period of 5 or 6 days, the great thing about living in Scotland at Halloween is that it's freezing so they lasted quite a while even after gutting and carving.
By quixotic
Wow 30?! were they all real pumpkins?
By Hottie McNaughty
quixotic wrote:Wow 30?! were they all real pumpkins?
Yep! I live out of the city and we have a TON of pumpkin farms around here so I shop around and generally can find them for about .11 to .16 cents a pound.
By matspud
Welcome to the boards and to the ranks of UK carvers. There are quite a few of us from north of the border now. Where about are you from?
By quixotic
That sounds awesome, wish we had that here! the only place that I know of to get pumpkins is supermarkets and they tend to be tiny but my brother grows pumpkins for us and they end up 5 times bigger than the ones in the shops, take forever to gut but it's worth it. We tried to make a pumpkin gutter last year as it was too late for me to purchase one from ZP, it wouldn't have got here in time so we thought a paint stirrer attached to a drill would do it, bad idea! chopped the pumpkin up in around 30 seconds and there was pumpkin insides everywhere!
By quixotic
Hey matspud, I currently reside in Glasgow, how about yourself? glad to see UK carvers here too!
By matspud
I am in Dundee. Monstermash is nearer you if I remember correctly. We also have "zp family" in Edinburgh and Inverness and a couple of places in between. Great that you can get your kins from family as the supermarket ones are sooooo small but they do last well.

BTW if you can get your hands on a pumpkin gutter from the shocking store it is well worth it........as are the howler lights and the warren pro tools.
By S.A.M
Welcome to the forum quixotic :D More evidence that the zombie pumpkins virus is spreading nicely through Scotland and the UK, soon everyone will be infected :D
Last edited by S.A.M on Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By zombombie
Welcome aboard Angela! I'm sure you'll fit right in :D

We do have a wee UK contingent here now :) And like matspud said, a fair few from Scotland :D

I'm only really able to get my 'kins from supermarkets sadly, so the size is always an issue for me as well :(

And I have to agree with matspud: the warren pro tools are excellent. Got a set last year - superb :)
By quixotic
Yeah I was eyeing up the gutter and the knives last year but I wasn't sure how that would be with customs, so for now I think i'll just have to stick with my trusty craft knife! I bought one of those lights a few days ago actually and it's coming from the US, my pictures didn't turn out overly great last year, was just the usual turn the light off and snap a pic but i'd like to get creative with my pictures this year.