Talking about spooky store scores and online oddity offerings.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Stopped by my local Michaels store yesterday, and picked up a bunch of things for carving and decorating. Among them, some cool skull items.

First, I couldn't resist this skeleton bust. A charming ghoul, don't you think?

I also found these paper mache skull masks. If you made a skull form to use as a sort of mold, you could probably make something like this yourself, but I skipped the messy step at the cost of a couple bucks each.

Small enough that a child could likely wear them, but I plan to use them as wall decorations. I think they'd look fantastic painted up with voodoo and/or Dia de los Muertos style designs. If I do that, I'll post pictures.

By Tkaraoke
Woah! Now those are some cool skulls. Too bad they aren't "adult" sized then you could make some really creepy constumes with them. Actually, all you would need is a a hoodie...like the one you can find in the store here on ZP! LOL
By paddy_babe
If doing a zombie thingy (ground breaker I think it was called in the forums) I'd put them on the ground with tufts of grass poking out of the cheeks and eyes (or fake worms) I'm going to try and make some of them this year (I'll hang them on the wall next to the front door to look like a crypt type place, ya'no the sort with skulls and stuff falling out of the walls where they were buried.) :D
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Indeed, blank skulls like this could have many uses. A good base for a costume or a zombie prop, with nice texture and color added.
By paddy_babe
you could even go mad with colour (rather than the tradition look or grim shading) and different patterns. (would also be great to get kids to paint as a party activity). :)
By nosferatu
I have just been admiring your bust....so to speak. :shock:
Has a statesman like quality and rather bizarely reminds me of Niles from Frazier
By paddy_babe
nosferatu wrote:I have just been admiring your bust....so to speak. :shock:
Has a statesman like quality and rather bizarely reminds me of Niles from Frazier
:shock: lmao :lol:

It does have that air about it, its a shame you cant find good props like that over hear. It reminds me of the talking head bust thingys in the haunted mansion in disneyland paris :)

Anyhoo I'm going to stop posting for a bit, I have like 70 posts and I've only been a member since yesterday! (I wasnt writing crap, just have a comment on most things :lol: )
By The Captain
I saw those cardboard skulls, I hadn't thought of using them for Dia de los Muertos wall art. Hummm I might have to try my hand at painting.
By SaneInsideInsanity
Mine had tons of great busts ill prob god pick some up in a week or 2 i didn't see the skulls though ill have to look harder i think after cocoon man ill be paper mached out for the year
By Zombie Pumpkins!
They also had a bust of a vampire sort of guy, I believe. But the skull man won me over. About $12, not bad for a solid, 12 inch tall bust.

When I see these sort of decorations, I often think, "Hmm, should I wait until after Halloween and try to get it when it's half-price?" But after Halloween, a lot of the good stuff is gone. So if you see something that really catches your eye, sometimes you have to grab it while you can.
By SaneInsideInsanity
I am aware...jealous as well they had Frankie bride of Frankie , couple of different skeletons, Dracula and gargoyle busts at mine....money is what prevented the purchase lol i had a list i had to stick to in order to finish my cocoons
By nosferatu
But the skull man won me over. About $12, not bad for a solid, 12 inch tall bust.
Not bad? Not bad? Excellent value! Something like that over here made of plastic would be about $15 let alone solid. Halloween gathers momentum year on year over here and it will be interesting to see what the shops put on display this year. If its anything remotely like that I would be happy.....but I ultimately have already prepared myself for the inevitable disppointment that they literally have in store for me.
By matspud
I got one of those bust things in ASDA a couple of years ago. Sat it just behind the toilet and creeped everyone out so much they wouldn't go :D Problem was it really creeped me out too so eventually got rid of it :D
By scully
Oh I love that bust! He looks as if he's about to clear his throat prior to admonishing some young ragamuffin that has just engaged in a social faux pas.

"Now see here, young Frankenstein!" :x

Sadly, I'm not "allowed" to go into Michaels right now, or in the near future. Seems SOMEONE I may or may not be married to would prefer I finish the current Halloween projects I have strewn about the garage before undertaking any more. :roll: Pish Posh!