Request a pumpkin pattern or critique the current collection.

How late in October is too late to post new patterns?

No new patterns for the last week of October, so we have time to plan our display.
14%
Keep 'em coming until Halloween day, we can always use them next year.
86%
When I release new patterns a day or two before Halloween, people sometimes express frustration. Either they already had their designs picked out, or maybe they've already carved their pumpkins for the year.

But then again, based on my website statistics, October 30th is typically the most popular day for pumpkin carving. So new patterns on October 30th might be welcomed by this audience.

So what do you think... how late in October is too late to post new patterns? (you can vote above)

Should I stop a week before Halloween and announce, "This is it for this year, what you see now is what you'll have through October." Or just keep going, as long as my time and inspiration will allow?
I reluctantly voted up until the 31st only because I fear we would get less patterns if there was less time. I would like a hard date where no more patterns come out but maybe like the 28th. At this point I would actually be mad if the pattern I was waiting for came out the very last day as I'm now out of pumpkins. I always keep one left over in case something comes out I want to carve. But I had that mentality last year and ended up having several uncarved pumpkins.
Keep 'em coming, Patch Master! :thumbsup: Because I live in area where summer extends all the way into late October :cry: , I can never carve my pumpkins any more than a day or two in advance of the big day. Therefore, I'm always carving the day before and the day of (I'm one of those crazies that always takes the day off from work if Halloween falls on a weekday :lol: ).
shaft28, Bravo020 liked this
Sloaner, I understand the concern about getting fewer patterns, if I stopped production sooner. But if that was the planned schedule, I think I'd compensate for that by releasing more patterns earlier, with a target number in mind to match expectations.

The consensus seems to be... people don't mind late October patterns, as long as I don't post their biggest desire on October 31 or something. When that happens, you could always use that pattern the next year. But I get the impression that people want to use patterns when they're new. A pattern from last year, even if its your favorite character, somehow isn't as exciting?

Anyway, I can tell you that Lydia Deetz (posted this morning) will be the last pattern before this Halloween. So don't feel like you need to save a pumpkin for October 31. Make your final choices!

In the future, I think I'm going to aim for a more structured pattern release schedule. Rather than posting whatever I have, whenever they're ready. I think people would appreciate knowing which days to check the site, and how many more patterns can be expected.
Up the edge for me too. I take 3 days off for Halloween (2 days prior + Halloween), the first 2 days are spent 100% carving, Halloween itself is spent finishing decorations (interior/exterior) and getting everything ready for our annual Halloween house party.

I've typically planned 80% of what I will carve the moment I've started buying pumpkins at the start of October and just refine the list a little as I see the new designs released.

This year there was a bit of a Harry Potter theme to a section of the display, and next year I'm leaning towards something with the classics, I just have a thought of Bauhaus Bela Lugosi's Dead playing in the background....but still early days, plenty of time to figure out what to do for 2020.