Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
Ive decided to take the plunge and give monster mud a go this year and I thought I'd show you how it's coming along. I always liked the look of the grim reaper-esque statues that people have made so thats what I thought i'd try.
Ive used an old table top for the base as its nice and heavy so there's no chance of my new man toppling over. My brother kindly got someone at his work to make that metal thing at the bottom to keep the PVC pipe secure.
Heres the basic skeleton frame with wooden supports:

Next step was to get him covered in chicken wire. I had some old scraps lying around so I used them. During the construction ive realised that there is really no need for chicken wire at the bottom of the reaper as the fabric just hangs down anyway. Seeing as I had put the wire there I decided to leave it but it's not necessary in my opinion. I fixed the wire to the pipes with cable ties (I think thats the name). You cant really see his wire head properly in this pic it was too sunny :shock: .

I put the cloth on for a quick mock up of what he might look like finished. I'm using thick cotton sheets as I think hessian/burlap is too thick and loses detail.

I'm putting the robe on in three seperate sections to make handling easier. Front, back and hood/arms. I put the back on today, I was actually nervous about doing it, stupid eh?!. The piece of material for the back was a bit on the big side so there are too many creases for my liking. The front and hood will hopefully have less. This is a picture of the back. imagine that the cloth is starting mid spine.

Thats all ive done so far. I'm hoping to add lots of detail with paint and moss once his robe is on and dry. Im not sure what im going to do face wise. I can't decide whether or not he should have a face. What do you guys and gals think?
Oh, ive not measured him yet but hes taller than me and i'm 5' 8".
Last edited by monstermash on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By Raven
He looks great! I think he is going to look very creepy. Love the lantern, too. I don't think he should have a face, maybe just two red glowing eyes under the hood?
By sloaner
That is great. I love all the creases in the robe. I was almost thinking of doing this myself but maybe it will be a next year project as I am busy this year. Maybe you could just put 2 red lights inside for eyes but have no face.
By sloaner
RavensDestiny wrote:He looks great! I think he is going to look very creepy. Love the lantern, too. I don't think he should have a face, maybe just two red glowing eyes under the hood?
Crap you beat me to it. Bust still a good idea :)
By mesmark
This looks awesome! It seems so simple in concept but very dramatic effect. I wanted something like this to place outside of my haunted house, and there just might be enough time :)

I'd say no face as well. That makes it all the more creepy. Glowing eyes seem cool but you might need electrical tape around the bulbs, a casing or something to keep them from lighting up the entire inside of the head cavity.

If I try it, I might use a black foam wig stand for the head. That would give the shape, be light and if people are peering into the hood, they'll see something, But it should be hidden enough to let their imaginations run.
By SuperSonic
If your going to go the "red eyes" look, I'd suggest using these.

Just attach them somewhere under the hood and in-line and your good to go.
By nosferatu
That looks fabulous. Genius prop making. I can't wait to see I when its finished.
By MooBoo
Looks great! I agree with the no face idea, i think it make it more creepy :D
By matspud
It looks amazing MM- all it is missing is a Justin Bieber mask ( its the scariest face I can think of ) :lol:
By nosferatu
Thinking about this, I have an old, rotary clothes line that I was going to take to the tip. I'll definitely keep the ground spike but I might just keep the dryer too. Cut off the line and two of the arms, maybe it could be adapted?

You've inspired me to give it a go. It might even blow around in the wind on Halloween due to the fabric.
By monstermash
Thanks everyone. I really like the red eye idea so I'll be tinkering with that for a while. Ive got some red leds from Ikea somewhere that I think might do the trick. Work has stopped on the actual reaper just now beacuse the weather is terrible.
Nos, or any brits for that matter, if you fancy giving it a go I picked up Gyproc easy-fill as my cementy base. It's basically the UK version of drywall compound that you find on all of the Monster Mud recipes. I mixed it with black paint (cheap kids stuff), water and a little bit of builders sand.

Now, where did I leave those LED's...