Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By mesmark
There is also chicken wire over the shoulders and forearms. I have since added some chicken wire to the back of the head as well. The head is pretty tiny for the 6'8" sentinel. I'm going to add piece of black shear fabric in front of his face as well. So, if you peer under the hood, you should be able to see a face but it won't be so easy to see.
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:One thing that I always worry about when contemplating such a prop is the base. Always paranoid that it won't be sturdy enough. Wouldn't want it to topple over, especially with kids around. Are you confident with your solution? Do you think it could use brackets front to back also?
I skipped a step in the photo part. I actually have the larger wood 1"x1" inside the big PVC pipe. I screwed that in from underneath. So, the brackets go through the PCV pipe and into the wood board inside.

More brackets wouldn't hurt, but I think that will hold pretty good. I'm going to have the staff secured with wire. So, that will make a second point out away from the base for stability. I plan to put to sand bags down on the based to keep it down. I'll be there as well and before my parties I tell everyone not to touch anything. Nothing! Sit on your hands kids! ... but remember to have fun ;)

I usually display how easy it is to knock my stuff down as well. :D

One thing I have found though, is that if you make something sturdy kids will climb on it or monkey around with it. If it's rickety and seems like it could fall over, they leave it alone. Not a rule mind you, but that's been my experience.
By nosferatu
You could make one for December, use red fabric and call him Father Deadmas. I too want to make one but will not have time to do so. Next year though.
By monstermash
Is this going to be a reaper showdown Mes? Are you throwing down the gauntlet? :lol: :wink:
It's great that you've decided to make one so your progress will spur me on. Those machetes are very realistic, are you leaving them the colour they are or will you be painting them?
Also if you aren't monster mudding your cloth i'd suggets a fabric thats quite heavy so you will get a good hang (lots of folds and swag). If you don't feel its falling the way you want it too, adding a few hidden weights at the bottom of the material should help. He's looking amazing already and at 6'8" he'll look very intimidating. :twisted:
By SuperSonic
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:Particle board blades.
Hate to be a perfectionist, but if I'm not mistaken, thats MDF or Medium Density Fibre board.

This Google Image Search should help sort that out.

Particle board, although it can be sanded, wouldn't give that clean polished edge. In the images I provided, you can see that Particle board is quite chip prone, therefore a not-so-good subject for this type of usage.

Unless its a new make of it. Then I'll accept I'm wrong. Enough of my rant.

nosferatu wrote:You could make one for December, use red fabric and call him Father Deadmas. I too want to make one but will not have time to do so. Next year though.
Why not Deathmas, kinda flows off the tongue better :)

Looking great mesmark!!! Liking the machetes, but wouldn't a Scythe be more appropriate? Never the less, I'm alllways impressed with everyone's work on this site with props. Ca't wait to see more progress pics!!!
By mesmark
Thanks for taking a look and the nice comments.

I will paint the machetes, maybe tonight. I'm going to do a darker gray for the blade, then a lighter gray for the cutting edge. I might add some light blue streaks to make it look shiny. The larger one will be bloody and placed in the photo scene.

Sonic - I'm sure you are right. I have no idea what that board really is. A friend of mine said it looked like particle board and I went with it. Good news in the home improvement stores have more of it :D

why not a scythe? - Well, it's not really supposed to be a reaper but just a scary, ominous guard. I was thinking of making a scythe but then it would be a reaper. However, the main problem is that my staff is too short. Adding the blade at the top makes it about shoulder height for my guard and size-wise appropriate length.

MM - I think I'm just going to go with some fabric like you see there. I just want people to get the feel of a guard. It will be in the haunted house scene and so not really a main piece. The back may even be open :oops: , so I'll have to swat off any peepers. I want to re-use all of the fabric in years to come. I also want to be able to disassemble it for storage, so I will be taping down the joints and using some wires to keep everything together. I might glue some pieces together if I absolutely have to.
By mesmark
On to the real deal, the splatter room. I broke down and went at it today.

The set up: sheets laid out

My tools: a paint brush, paint, a syringe. The syringe was for spraying streaks and for making dripping blood places after I had the sheets hung up to dry.

getting to work:

and here are the 2 sides for the photo spot. It will be three sections in all. The middle piece just has splatter marks. People will be standing there in front of it, so I didn't add much detail to that piece.

It took about 3-4 hours with set-up and clean up. I did 8 sheets in all - 5 for inside the haunted house. So, this years backdrop is by far the quickest in years :D

I was going to make the paint a little darker, but I decided the bright red would look fresher. It dried shiny in places and that makes it look wet :)

I always imagine things turning out much better, but I guess that's just the way it goes. These should be OK and do the trick.
By SuperSonic
Great Scott! Looks fabulous! Have you thought about making the words look something like this?

Help Sign

Maybe a more "shaky and scared" look to them. Just a thought. :)

Can't wait to see the finished product!
By monstermash
mesmark wrote: I want to re-use all of the fabric in years to come. I also want to be able to disassemble it for storage, so I will be taping down the joints and using some wires to keep everything together.
I'm a little concerned about where i'm going to store my guy, you've definately gone down the right track. I like your blood splattered sheets, the brightness of the red is great, you could even add a bit more after all, you can never have too much gore! Zombombie is right it gives them a classic horror movie feel. And your hand smears are perfect, i'm planning on having a few on my costume.
By SuperSonic
mesmark wrote:Thanks for the comments. Looking at it now, I think I might need more splotches. I didn't want to go too overboard but there might not be enough for it to really show up well in photos ...

Anyway, here's the mad sushi chef costume ... Irashaimase!
If you want to add some more effects while having a blood spatter room, you could put red paint splotches and drips on the knife. Added effects are great, no? I mean, Irashaimase is a MAD sushi chef is he not? :wink: