Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By sloaner
Looks like the new hallowindow will be offered as a downloadable file and possibly as a DVD. Here is what Mark posted on his facebook.

Hey fans! Things are moving along here on the production of Hallowindow V and I have a better idea of what is possible at this point in time. As it stands right now I will not be able to release a physical DVD in time for Halloween this year. I will however still be releasing all the new content as downloads and as a download pack. I may still release a short run of DVDs of Hallowindow V at some point in time but I can't guarantee that. Personally, I feel that digital files are much easier to distribute quickly and they can be higher resolution than DVD playback allows. I hope this doesn't come as disappointing news to too many people. I have goal of releasing the animation no later than mid October and I am steadily chipping away at quite a few concepts simultaneously. Thanks a lot for sticking in there with me!

I plan on getting it again this year and displaying it in the opening of my garage.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Thanks for posting the update here, sloaner. My first reaction is to be disappointed that there won't be a physical DVD. But I think that's just because my mind is still stuck on my previous habits of hooking up an old DVD player to my projector.

But when I think about it... most every video I work with these days is HD (digital files or blurays) so there's no need to be stuck on the idea of DVDs. It's just a matter of me figuring out what playback device I have that will work most easily for these files and my projector.

I'm surely interested, the Hallowindow teasers this year have looked awesome. Mark will be smart to encourage people to move to digital files. Easy distribution when you don't have to manufacture and ship a physical product. I happen to know that it works for pumpkin patterns! :D
By S.A.M
The lack of a DVD is rather disappointing :( I do like to own a physical copy of things like this but I can totally understand the reason for going with digital distribution. However from a personal point of view it's gonna be a pain in the bottom getting digital files to work, I used my old 5.1 system in the past it was excellent with the sound and video.
Regardless I am looking forward to a new Hallowindow after it's absence last year; the teasers have been great, I just hope I can get it to work :?
By sloaner
Could life get any better, Today I got my shirts from ZP and now Hallowindow 5 is available for download. I got mine and it looks great. I know the kids are going to love it.

http://www.hallowindow.com/
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Hallowindow 5 looks great, as always. Each year's installment has some really novel animation ideas. I'm sure I'll pick this up, even if I'm not sure how, where or when I'll be projecting it. Hah.
By S.A.M
I've just download Hallowindow V and I like it, the bouncing skulls song is too cute :lol:
You know perhaps going digital download wasn't such a bad thing, I've just copied all the previous files from the Hallowindow DVD's to my HDD and I'm in the process of creating a VLC playlist featuring all my faves in any order I like without having to swap DVD's, I can just leave it playing on the night...wicked eh? :)=

It does mean I'll lose the use of my laptop for a few hours but I've got my iPad, I'll survive :lol: I've set my wallpaper to a ZP one too so ZP gets a nice big projected plug before the show starts, speaking of which where are the Age of The ZP wallpapers?
By shaft28
I know I'm digging up an old thread but any tips on projecting Hallowindow?
I just got a projector (a bada$$ bday present) and picked up several Hallowindow DVDs (and files).
Projector is great so no issues with brightness, should I project through my big front window one set up on my driveway in the back of my SUV onto a sheet hanging at the end (big tree and hedge I can tie to)?
Just curious if others had more success in or outdoors?
Also a sheet works just fine? Any tips? I also have some beef netting I use for webs I could rig up as a screen if you think that might work....may be too many holes and give it a grainy look...

Just wanted advice from you seasoned veterans.

As always appreciate the advice.
By mesmark
shaft - you can't really go wrong either way. Hallowindow has great scenes for just displaying on a screen and for windows or TVs. I'd say try both and see which looks best with your house and other decorations.

The biggest problems with outdoor set ups are rain, wind, and people. People are curious, especially little people. They tamper and sometimes ruin things ... The elements: if this is just for Halloween night, you can make the judgement call on the morning about rain and wind, but if you are displaying for a week or so before Halloween, an indoor setup is less to worry about.

Personally, I like displays in the widows or projections right onto house exterior. It seems to fit more naturally into the framework of you house design and other decorations. But some of the Hallowindow stuff is designed for other purposes. So going back to my original point, the only bad thing you can do is NOT use your Hallowindow videos :D

:frank:
By shaft28
Cool, thanks. I've checked out the indoors version which is awesome. Will try out outdoors in the next week then make the call night of. Yeah the projector will be in the back of my SUV so I'm hoping it will be too high for the rugrats to get to. Thanks for the advice!
By NHammack
I ended up downloading all of them over the years and eventually made myself a DVD that will loop each version individually or play all 4 versions & loop it again. I ended up using Adobe Encore for my previous version which I was able to do with all 4 versions. I've made an iso to burn directly to DVD for buddies, and I've provided a copy for my kid's school for the use in their Haunted House. It's awesome. I will be creating another version to include Hallowindow 5 on it. I'd love to go back & redownload the HD versions for the new DVD. 'm just a little strapped for cash about this time of year with all the other goodies I want to buy for Halloween.

I'm a little disappointed there isn't a version 6 available, but I may just have to be complacent for now as there is always Atmos Fear FX...