Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By Kayo
ok so i was having this idea that i wasnt sure about. what if i carved a pattern on a funkin upside down (as their is already a hole on the bottom of the ones i have found) and used it as the bulb cover for my porch lamp just for halloween night. i was thinking oogie boogie in the moon would be fun. has anyone ever tried this if so how did it work?
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Never tried it myself, but I'm pretty certain I've seen it done before. I don't see why it wouldn't work, if you can secure it on there safely. Just make sure the bulb doesn't make the inside of the pumpkin too hot (especially not touching the inside of 'kin). Wouldn't want it melting to your lamp fixture.
By Kayo
i receantly found LED color changing party bulbs that i think im going to use for halloween. so i'm not to worried that its going to get hot. and i think i can fasten it with some garden wire or heat resistant cord concert lighting cord to the fixture nothing permeant. any one else have any experience trying this lighting idea?
By CorpseBride
I have done something like this...I cannot seem to find my picture though :( It was actually a messed up foam pumpkin project so I had half a pumpkin that was good. I carved a spooky tree and hung it over the porchlight with wire. It had a great look and actually reflected the pattern onto the patio floor.

It didn't get too hot, but that could of been since it was only half of a kin. There was plenty of room for ventilation.

I will try to find that darn picture...
By Kayo
mesmark wrote:If you want to diffuse the light, maybe tape some wax paper inside the pumpkin. Heat build up inside the pumpkin may be an issue though.
im a roadie and have worked in theatre for years heat resistant light defusing/color changing effects not an issue i have that stuff lying around no problem. i'm more concerned with how to attach the damn thing without loosing structural integrity or breaking the outside light. i will be using a led light bulb so heat shouldn't be to big of a problem between the bulb and the cut out pattern offering ventilation