Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By pagemaster1993
I had some inspiration yesterday. I know what I want to do for Trick-Or-Treat night to our front porch. First I may start by saying I live in an area where Trick-Or-Treat is not on Halloween. :cry: So, after watching a few Halloween Tutorial videos on Youtube (links will be below) and a memory of a guy from my old neighborhood. I began to think of what I could do to my porch to entertain and maybe scare the Trick-Or-Treaters that come to my place.

Here is the link to Part 1 and 2 of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yY_l2fy ... plpp_video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA_4ZEP- ... plpp_video

Now I do not plan on going into the full build, with the motor and stand, but I do want to build a ghost that will glow under black light. My plan is to have it rigged up to the ceiling of my porch with fishing or invisible string, above the entrance, and when the Trick-Or-Treaters are leaving drop it in front of them. Now to some what hide the ghost from side view of the porch, I planned on putting the same fabric that would glow under black light.

I am open to as many suggestions you can throw my way. It is also important that I tell you this is all I really have planned, and my porch is rather long and could use a little more decor.
By pagemaster1993
sloaner wrote:So why do you have a trick or treat night, why don't they have it on the 31st?
I really do not know why we do not have it on Halloween. It has always been that way since I was a kid. Even my mom has no clue why we are different from other states. I guess the only good thing about it is that you can do separate events: Have Trick-Or-Treat, Halloween, and various parties all on different days.

On a side note we did not get many Trick-Or-Treaters last year. I think the reason was a cross between where I live and how cooled it was last year. Where I live I was the only one handing out on my block and even on the next block only one person was handing out. I hope this year will be better.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
pagemaster1993, when does your area do trick or treating? Is it always on a weekend? Maybe that's one of the reasons they separate it from Halloween. So kids won't be out on a school night if October 31 lands on a weekday.

Good luck with your carvings and props. Crank ghosts, hanging ghosts, and blacklight ghosts... all cool concepts. I did one like that in the past.
By ghostface
My town is the same way it is always on a Saturday instead of October 31st every year.

Good luck on your props!
By pagemaster1993
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:pagemaster1993, when does your area do trick or treating? Is it always on a weekend? Maybe that's one of the reasons they separate it from Halloween. So kids won't be out on a school night if October 31 lands on a weekday.

Good luck with your carvings and props. Crank ghosts, hanging ghosts, and blacklight ghosts... all cool concepts. I did one like that in the past.
It is always on the last Thursday of October. So I really do not get why they do that.

Thanks for the encouragement. :D
By pagemaster1993
I think I have a theme for this year. . . Haunted. In order to mask the prop that will jump down at guest as they leave I will make more ghosts that will me static. Also I want to see if I can find "C.S.I." tape that says, "Haunted House Stay Out" or something like that. Do any of you guys have ideas that may help. They would be much appreciated. :D
By NikkiRae
You know, I think the only areas around here that actually do Halloween on Halloween night is the city of Pittsburgh and some closeby neighborhoods.. Most outlying areas do it the week/weekend before. I've never really understood it, but I enjoy it because I get to celebrate Halloween for like a week at my friends' houses!

I hope you plan to post pictures of your decorations! Can't wait to see them!
By pagemaster1993
NikkiRae wrote:You know, I think the only areas around here that actually do Halloween on Halloween night is the city of Pittsburgh and some closeby neighborhoods.. Most outlying areas do it the week/weekend before. I've never really understood it, but I enjoy it because I get to celebrate Halloween for like a week at my friends' houses!

I hope you plan to post pictures of your decorations! Can't wait to see them!
I will be taking pictures of what I put up. Inside and out. It is also nice to hear from a fellow Pennsylvanian.
By pagemaster1993
Today I have got to work putting the ghosts together.

First I took some coat hangers and put the skulls on them.

Then I wanted to add these eyeballs that I bought at my local Dollar Tree, but could not deicide on which color to use.

So which one's do my fellow forum members like better?

The red,

or the blue.

Here is what it will generally look like when finished.

By NikkiRae
Hmm. I think I may like the red eyes better. They seem to stand out more under the cloth. The blue is a bit dark and seems like it gets a little lost.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Spoooky. Since I'm guessing this will be displayed at night, the red eyes might show color better, since the blue is a bit dark. But I sort of like him with two different eye colors too. :wink: