Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By Lala
This is the first year I have had my own home to decorate, but I have to either make everything, or use my parents cast offs! I can do it! I will be posting my projects and photos here!

First up were two new signs - Cemetery and Asylum

Cemetery will of course, go either on the fence or in the yard by the cemetery

Asylum will be going on the porch/veranda (Jason and Freddy will be on the porch, if I can make them in time)

The wood pieces are from JoAnn's (yay for sales)

I used the Fiddum's Family font for the cemetery one, I transfered it with chalk to make a carbon paper like thing - for the color of the paint, I just squirted white, black and two shades of grey into my paint pot and used a foam brush to paint it

IMG_6107 by Lala (Shady Lane Studios), on Flickr

IMG_6109 by Lala (Shady Lane Studios), on Flickr

IMG_6110 by Lala (Shady Lane Studios), on Flickr

Here is the beginning of the Asylum one - the writing is freehand. I used white, grey and green to paint it.

IMG_6112 by Lala (Shady Lane Studios), on Flickr

This is a really bad photo of the front of the house/fence. I will take more tonight at dusk - I just was excited about the orange lights. haha I also need to add more skeletons to the tree. Also shown (but really dark) is the sign on my fence that I made 20 years ago "Welcome Fiends"

IMG_6117 by Lala (Shady Lane Studios), on Flickr
Last edited by Lala on Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 9 times in total.
By monstermash
I really like that glow of the lights wrapping around the tree. Your signs are coming on nicely, it's always good to see the working progress. Great for tips and tricks on how things can be made.
By Lala
More ...

Some pix of the very dilapidated porch (our house is a fixer upper!) with lights and my pre-carved, lit pumpkins (clearance, 2009 - 50 cents each!)

IMG_6130 by Lala (Shady Lane Studios), on Flickr

IMG_6122 by Lala (Shady Lane Studios), on Flickr

The steps to the porch will be where my "asylum" sign will go.

front gate with Welcome Fiends

IMG_6127 by Lala (Shady Lane Studios), on Flickr

Mr.Sparkles says HI!

IMG_6128 by Lala (Shady Lane Studios), on Flickr
By ghostface
Great setup! I really like the gate opening "Welcome Fiends" :twisted:
By Lala
I love my Welcome Fiends sign! My favorite part about it is that a few times every year, some little 8 year old girl will say after they get their candy

"You know, you spelled FRIENDS wrong!!!"

"No, I did not...It says "FIENDS" ...do you know what a FIEND is???" with a creepy smile. hahahahahahhahaaa

It's hysterical.
By staticfurball
I love red lights i put them all over! Great job, hope you get lots of goblins going by.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Oooh, I like your pics, Lala!  Isn't it a thrill to be able to go all out decorating your own place.  You have a nice mix of items cropping up.  Some existing skeletons and pumpkins, and handmade items like your signs.  Great creativity going on here.  Signs can make for a fun way to set the scene.  Even if you did spell it wrong.   :roll:  :wink:

I also like how you are sharing your Flickr photos.  More people might want to consider Flickr as a way to share pictures.  These photos are nicely embedded here in the forum, but you can also click them to see the larger versions and full galleries on Flickr.
By Raven
Very nice! I am hoping some day to move into a house I can decorate and people will actually see. I miss having trick-or-treaters!

Great work on the signs, too!
By Lala
Finished (not not sealed) Asylum sign

IMG_6151 by Lala (Shady Lane Studios), on Flickr

adventures in carving my logo into a foam pumpkin from michael's. omg. a nightmare. I had to use an x-acto knife, and ended up breaking part of the S and part of the A (and I haven't even finished all of the text ....) I need some of that transfer paper stuff. Lesson learned.

IMG_6152 by Lala (Shady Lane Studios), on Flickr

IMG_6154 by Lala (Shady Lane Studios), on Flickr

Costume making tomorrow!
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I haven't used an x-acto, by itself, on a foam pumpkin. I imagine it might be a little tough. You don't have the benefit of the heat from a versa tool heat knife. Nor do you have the help of the teeth of a saw blade. Still, CombichristGirl is right. You can glue that good as new.
By Lala
This one is extremely thin and weak, I can't get the saw to insert without breaking a piece off! so I had to use the x-acto. Oh well. and yes, I have glue to fix my poor broken frankenpumpkin