Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By Liderc
This year I've decided to step it up a notch for decorations, I went out and bought a Fog Machine and made my own Fog Chiller(Instructions from www.gotfog.com).

I'm hoping to have a low floating fog(Hence the Fog Chiller) drift around my front porch and down the brick stairs towards the yard. In a few test I've noticed that any shift of wind can throw the fog way off to one side and ruin the look. To prevent this I've purchased these 4 foot black printed fabric with tome stones on them to put on each side of my porch to 'somewhat' control the fog area.

My question is, if anyone else has used a fog machine and or fog chiller before, how have you controlled the fog output and have you used a strobe light/black light to accentuate the fog at night?

Another question is, if you have used the Fog Chiller, do you recommend dry ice or normal ice?

And last but not least, I have a slight problem with the sound the Fog Machine makes when going through the Fog Chiller, the fog out put shooting straight into the pipe is making a pretty loud noise, although it may be easily covered up by some 'halloween music'. I've heard of maybe some pipe insulation to tone down the noise.

The Specs of my system-
Fog Machine- 1000 Watt Heater, 8000 cubic inch coverage.
Fog Chiller - 2in pipe, cooler holds around 1 1/2 bag of ice.
Porch- 20'x6'

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Liderc,
Nosferatu's Paragon
By amandap80
I used regular ice in my cooler. I covered the whole tubing system with a large piece of black woolen fabric, which camoflauged it and helped reduce noise. I also used the Martha Stewart Halloween CD, which is very classy!
We used orange gel paper with floods to light the yard. The fog poured out great, and I thought the 'floating' around looked creepy, so we didn't try to contain it. Here is a picture with my fog effect.
By Liderc
All I can say is WOW, that looks amazing; I can only hope my display comes even close to that.

A few questions if you don't mind:

Do you remember what your wattage was of your fog machine? aka 400/700/900/1000 watt heater.
-Wondering if my 1000 watt will give me similar results as in your photo.

Where did you place your fog machine? in the yard/porch ect. Did you use a (vacuum hose to direct the fog?)

If I was to use a flood light, do you think I'd need the orange gel plastic as well to get the eerie effect or would the lights "brightness" be sufficient?

Last question, Did you let your fog machine come on everytime it reheated or did you give it a little puff when the yard started to lose the effect?(My remote is only an on and off switch, for some reason, so my only option is to let the fog come on every reheat cycle or click it on when I see the fog growing scarce.)

Thanks again for the help.
By texmaster
Dry ice doesn't last very long and I agree with amandap, use regular ice. One thing you might want to think about is distributing the fog over a wide area.

I built my fog chiller with a 35 gallon trash can design with instructions from the website below and it works great!

One thing recommended is taking a box, cutting a slit along the bottom, and let the fog disperse a little better than just the tube exit.

Good Luck!

http://ghostsofhalloween.com/projects/fog_chiller/

Here are some pics of my "spreader" for lack of a better word.

By Liderc
Yeah I wish I would have done the trashcan chiller, seems like it would produce the most chilled fog, but seeing as I spent about 50 bucks on my cooler and piping I guess I'll use the one I've made already. To spread out the fog I actually used a 18 inch attachment for a vacum, so I hooked it right on the front of my pipe exiting the fog chiller and it spreads it nicely, but I do like your box idea looks like a wider opening than I'm using.
By texmaster
Liderc wrote:Yeah I wish I would have done the trashcan chiller, seems like it would produce the most chilled fog, but seeing as I spent about 50 bucks on my cooler and piping I guess I'll use the one I've made already. To spread out the fog I actually used a 18 inch attachment for a vacum, so I hooked it right on the front of my pipe exiting the fog chiller and it spreads it nicely, but I do like your box idea looks like a wider opening than I'm using.
An interesting idea for a spreader!