Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By SuperSonic
The way I did it last year, wasn't quite as big annd fancy, but it did the job.

When I first carved Michael Jackson, I put him infront of a tombstone.

I based all my placements off ot the slope of my lawn. What patterns looked more "dead" and which ones fit more of a scaled placement along the drive way, ect.

Another thing I did last year was pair up "Blood Drive" and "Dracula" together to make a rather nice display.

What I'm really saying is, with a graveyeard scene it takes carefull thought and planning so that it doesnt look to tacky, just right with that feeling of fear and death in the air......or cuteness for the kids.
By monstermash
Pic update. Ive finished making the internal structure for the pumpkin wall.
Its a mix of wood and cardboard carpet rolls. This is a pic of the highest part of the wall which will have five kins on it, well ten, five either side. Ive not photographed the two smaller levels yet but they look just the same.
The one on the left hasn't got its wooden steps on. **Click the pics**

I think ive got plenty of blue insulation board to make the stone effect walls out of, so thats my next job.

Ive also made the two pillars which will hold the cemetery sign. Ive made the sign too. I will try and get them photographed but its been chucking it down for about two weeks so its a bit too soggy outside right now.
By staticfurball
Thats a great idea!! wher did you get the carpet rolls??? Ive been looking around for more milk crates but it seems people hoard them :(
By monstermash
I got the rolls from a carpet shop. They were great about letting me have as many as I wanted.
Yeah ive got one milk crate. I thought about using crates but its storing them afterwards thats a pain. I can burn cardboard and wood or dismantle them into smallish bundles.

Just try any local carpet shops, i'm sure they'll let you have some. If you do, have a good look through them, some are much thicker than others, the thicker the better. Good Luck!

Matspud, its easy, all you need is a saw, a measuring tape and a pencil. Oh and a super glamorous diy outfit, we don't want to be mistaken for a gruff builder!
By nosferatu
Can't wait to see the finished display.

The carpet rolls idea is genius. Absolute genius. I might steal it!

We should all be asking you for display ideas.
By monstermash
It's actually pretty strong. The tubes are quite thick and the cylindrical shape means its hard for them to collapse. In tthe pic you can see that the whole thing is just held up with an old garden fork pushed into the ground. It's surprisingly stable just like that.

When it comes to properly fixing it I will put a wooden post in the shortest tube and slot the tallest step into the cemetery column that has its own post support. I'll do a similar thing with the other two, smaller sets of steps.

Ive been fiddling about with some insulation this evening and I will probably start dremeling tomorrow. I'm happy with the strength of the internal part though.
By sloaner
I'm diggin that display. I'm sure it will get lots of attention come October 31st.
By GUS
My concern,as put across in the original post (scully's NMBC gate thread) whereby I suggested carpet roll inners, was & still is moisture.

Whereas the tubes are strong due to shape, their weakness is time outside in an environment they can absorb moisture, if anyone has ever grabed these from a skip a few days / nights outside can turn them limp.
So sealing & capping is an ongoing concern to maintain it's structural integrity.
By monstermash
GUS wrote:My concern,as put across in the original post (scully's NMBC gate thread) whereby I suggested carpet roll inners, was & still is moisture.

Whereas the tubes are strong due to shape, their weakness is time outside in an environment they can absorb moisture, if anyone has ever grabed these from a skip a few days / nights outside can turn them limp.
So sealing & capping is an ongoing concern to maintain it's structural integrity.
Thats my only concern too. They wont be out for days though. Just the day of the party and the night. Im thinking of different sealers or maybe since the tubes are hidden, plastic bags/bin liners.
I left some cut offs out in the rain which of course finished them off but when it didn't rain they held up ok so maybe bin liners would do.
Ive got some old tins of varnish in the shed, could always slap a few coats of that on.
By nosferatu
How about cling film? Then a bin bag over? If its only for the day, then that should do the job?
By GUS
varnish ends as well, however do it in thin coats or else you are introducing moisture... or possibly keep it inside warm & ventilated whilst varnishing.

Possibly duct tape? we use it for patching up gloves in winter etc.. holds darn well.