Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By Nikki
Well, my neighboor has an Automatic Light-Sensor.. You know, someone walks by during the night and a light pops on from their house :( Great for safety purposes but horrible for decorations!

I was thinking of placing some cobwebs in the windows as well as some nifty little window clings.. but my worry is that from the thought I have put in to decorating, it won't be easily seen because of the lighting next door :(

Has anyone encountered this problem as well? And if so, how did you 'go-around' that and make your decorations still work properly?
By Nikki
Dadja wrote:you cause a power black out in your whole street :twisted:
:lol: Oh Dadja... The power strip is located right up my street at the end of the block and might that be a bit too conspicuous? :lol:
By Dadja
Nikki wrote:
Dadja wrote:you cause a power black out in your whole street :twisted:
:lol: Oh Dadja... The power strip is located right up my street at the end of the block and might that be a bit too conspicuous? :lol:
I'm not saying you should carry a sign saying "I'm going to cause a power black out"
By monstermash
You could ask them to turn it off for a few nights or even just for the big night or even until it gets late and all the T o Ters have gone.
Or maybe put some red celofane in front of it for an eerie glow.
By mesmark
Tough situation. They have that light for "security" so asking them to turn it off means asking them to take down their "guard" for the night of mischief ...

First talk to them and be humble. Explain it to them in their terms, that you know it's a little ridiculous, but is there anything you can do? Let them give you ideas for what they're comfortable with. Would they mind a cardboard barrier to block light heading to your side ???

Another idea is to work backwards, instead of hiding things in the dark, make them "appear" with the light. Use a blacklight to make a nice and welcoming scene. Or back-lighting and silhouettes that look happy and inviting, then when the neighbors light comes on the visitors are given a whole new look in the light of day ....

Of course your display won't look so good in the 14 hours of daylight ...
By Chewy
If the "soft and diplomatic" approach doesnt get you anywhere, you could always just give them a heads up that you might do something temporary for a few nights to help your display

Then, get yourself a couple of big green tarps & string them up along your property line to cut the light down. I dont know that I'd do this without talking to them about it first. If it were me, i'd also take a look at my local by-laws to see which ones i'd be breaking so I know what to expect if a complaint rolls in.

If you were really a creative person, this might even work out as a canvas for some additional decorational effects, backlit and all... heck, maybe get orange tarps and paint some ZP patterns on it...

Alternatively, you could just get a pellet gun & take it out quietly in the middle of the night. [i'm just kidding - dont do this!]
By purple1worm
The tarp idea could work if you incorporate it into you're decorating!!