Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By mesmark
I'd say get your candle holder and maybe just melt some extra wax down from the top slowly. I don't know if I'd want to mess up the nice shape you got going there. But, I would like to see them slightly melted.

Maybe light them on wax paper and that way you could peal them off and place them on anything, a book, coffin, table, wind sill, ...
By SuperSonic
I don't know about the corpse, but to finish your coffin try Minwax polyurethane. Works for just about everything wood and seals beautifully. Simple to apply too :)
By CorpseBride
Ahhh so you don't make the wax? You just melt it down and reuse! Brilliant!

As for getting a good spooky drip. Its time consuming, but I hold and rotate and move the candle to where I want the drips to go. You can get some really good control and keep your candle still looking like a skull by forcing the drips away from the features.
By monstermash
Yes its cheaper and easier just to buy candles and melt them down.
Ive done the drippy wax thing before on a bottle which turned out great so i will try it on one of the skulls.
By GUS
how about bulking out the drip area with silicone? ie any general purpose silicone in a dispensing gun (home improvement)

Once set the drips can form around the silicone & adhere (presumably) in case you need thick or piled high drip effect / build up.
By monstermash
Here's a few more progress pics. Nothing is finished:

Meet: Lugosi, Lee, Karloff and Price.

One of two and a half coffins:

A few gravestones:

:) :) :)
By monstermash
mesmark wrote:That's some fantastic work! The coffin is awesome. and the tombstones are amazing! I can't wait to see it all put together.

When will you put this all out? Halloween night?
Were having a garden party on the 30th so they will all be out then. Sadly not enough trick or treaters in the area or I might have set it up for the week before aswell. I've no garden in front of my house either so passers by would have no clue any of it was there. Kind of sad really that no a lot of people celebrate Halloween.

I'm planning on making lots more tombstones, i've plenty of ground to fill.
By blueikaos
Your groundbreakers are great!

You make them from scratch? I tried making ones last year and they looked horrible. :(
By monstermash
Cheers blueikaos. Yeah I make em from scratch. My groundbreaker was crap last year too. I just trawled through loads of pics of GBs and figured out how to make thm look better. Garage of Evil has loads of good reference pics.

Also if your having trouble with the rib cage put a shirt on them instead. Quick easy way to cover up a bad job. :)
By blueikaos
Thanks! I'll check out Garage of Evil.

I think I used pumpkin Rot pictures last year as a guide. I used rolled up newspaper wrapped in duct tape, then used brown paper towels and paper mached them, connecting them together.

I have to see if I can find pictures.