Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By SuperSonic
I'd fly over if I could. Trust me :D. Your props are great mesmark! This will be one helluva party
By mesmark
A little update:

I've finished the drawing part of the backdrop. My wife just needs to sew the pieces together. I also made the doorway, so the stage is pretty much finished.

The door way:

I made a wide flat face and then a small board to be added like the lip

You can see it here. The lip is going to give the wall "depth" to the viewers. It will make the wall look less flat. (I'm hoping)

I added some little pieces to the back for support

Here it is put together

Here it is with fabric stretched around it.

Behind the doorway, I'll have a black curtain with the sarcophagus. it may look more like small cubby for the sarcophagus, more so that another room.

I bought some more fabric and since we're pretty much done, I'm going to try and make some pillars to go in the middle of the stage flanks to add to the depth and visually fill the space.

I'm going to make a couple large vases and hopefully all that gets done this weekend. Then we can focus on adding some smaller details and stuff.
By mesmark
also, costumes are done! with 2 weeks to go :D

I'll post all of the costumes after the party but here's a look at mine:

If I have time, I'll try to make a scepter or staff of some sort. Although, the costume sells as is, I think. The scepter would just give me something to hold for pictures. I never really know what to do with my hands :D
By nosferatu
Fabulous!

Personally, I think you should wear it all the time. Taking the kids to school, food shopping etc

8) 8) 8)
By Zombie Pumpkins!
This theme and decor just keeps getting better! With two weeks to go, you still have time to recreate the remaining 2% of ancient Egypt that doesn't yet exist in your home, in the form of foam and fabric.

Is it time to update the topic title from your original posting to something other than "Egyptian theme possibly"? Because if this concept is just a possible idea, and you may change your mind, well... you may have done a lot of work for nothing. :lol:
By mesmark
zombiepumpkins wrote:Is it time to update the topic title from your original posting to something other than "Egyptian theme possibly"? Because if this concept is just a possible idea, and you may change your mind, well... you may have done a lot of work for nothing. :lol:
I was just thinking that earlier today when I posted those pictures :) I guess if I do change my mind I can just ship all this stuff to Dadja ...
Nightwatchman wrote:Mark, everything looks amazing. I don't know how you have the time to do all that you do!
Thanks! I've been working on it for 6 weeks now. A few hours here and there, some good work on a couple weekends. Over time, it all gets done.

I do have a bit of a problem with sitting still. I don't watch TV and lately I'm not that interested in watching movies I've already seen. I feel like I want to, but I'd just rather work on some other project.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough time to get a tan and beef up for the costume :D I might shave my head though. Although, again, I'm pretty white. I might look more like a cancer patient than an Egyptian if I do that.
By monstermash
Your costume is really cool Mes. I love the little details like the cobra. Very convincing. I would tell you to use fake tan if you wanted a darker look but that can be a disaster! :)
By mudd
show me the mummy!

its looking great. better than a museum or any archeological site. if i were an invitee to your party, i would dress up like Dr. Zahi Hawass. cant wait to see the finished set.