Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By GUS
some of the latest on twitter...
Please read this carefully!!!!!!!!!!

@robkandi I don't have an exact release date yet but I'm working hard to get it ready ASAP. Most likely 3rd week in Sept.
8:59 AM Aug 29th from Twitterrific in reply to robkandi

@stevemy Thanks a lot! The 2009 DVD will contain only new animations. The old DVD will still be available for order.1:03 PM Aug 29th from web in reply to stevemy
By GUS
This bit of youtube vid essenially is useing a fogger as part of your screen projection..

By S.A.M
Guess what? My projector arrived today :D :D

Here are some pics;

These projections were in daylight with the curtains closed and with no screen, just a wall for testing. The size was 80 inches corner to corner diagonally.

I've got to tweak the image settings but overall I'm well pleased with it especially seeing as it only cost £130 :D If I have time I'm going to test out a window projection tonight *excited* :D
By GUS
Sam whats the spec? do you have a link to wheres selling it?
& how much is a rep bulb for it?
cheers
By S.A.M
Hi Gus the tech specs can be found here;
Epson Tech Spec
Or Amazon listing
You don't get all that stuff that is listed as in the box on the Epson site BTW, it's the same model but without all those extras (screens, carry bag). You get the scart adapter, filters, lens cover, remote and VGA cable, that stuff.
I'm no expert & I know it's not the best projector out there but for me it's more than good enough, especially at the price I paid.

I've seen the lamps from £140-£200, It would cost more than the unit cost me. It has a claimed lamp life of 3000 using some specific settings, I shouldn't need one for a while at least.

Sorry I don't have a link as I "won" it in an eBay auction,
By nosferatu
One can only watch and dream................ :(
By S.A.M
The Hallowindow II DVD I ordered arrived yesterday and so I set about giving it a window projection test run. What? I couldn't wait until the new dvd came out and besides Hallowindow II was what sold the idea to me.

At first I was having a bit of difficulty in getting the projection to fit the window, turns out I'd left the projector in 16:9 mode so it was stretching the DVD image too wide, the DVD is in native 4:3 perfect for square windows!
Once that was sorted it was real easy to fit the window perfectly, especially using the lens shift and zoom abilities of the Epson projector.

Here is a little video shot with a digital camera;
(Just to note that the projection looks better than in the video)

I need to buy some speaker wire to get two speakers outside for the sound but overall I'm v. happy with the effect.

You can see the projector lamp light in the video so I'm going to try lowering the height a bit seeing as I still have a bit more vertical lens shift to play with.

I would love to know the name of the material Mark Gervais used as a scrim to allow for dusk time projections seen here Clicky ..hmm
Last edited by S.A.M on Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By nosferatu
Awesome!!!

You will be the talk of the town without a shadow of a doubt.

Jealousy is a terrible thing
By GUS
Sam, re the material , cheesecloth / muslin ..so maybe if you have a dunelm branch near you?

I look forward to geekily Q&A ing the hallowindow shortly..

We have an estimated 12 foot bay window to utilise (my chop shop area last year.. will be interesting to see what's do-able.
My neighbour is about to get a new projector so I may just be able to borrow another for a multiple set up (fingers crossed)

Is yours DLP or LCD?
By matspud
WANT A PROJECTOR NOW :x :x :x :x :x

OK so I am behaving like a spoilled child having a tantrum but seeing that I want it to be running this year.
By S.A.M
GUS wrote:Sam, re the material , cheesecloth / muslin ..so maybe if you have a dunelm branch near you?

I look forward to geekily Q&A ing the hallowindow shortly..
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out. There's nowt I like better than getting geeky about tech :lol:
What do you intend to use for the screen Gus? I've used a white bed sheet and it seems to work good.
Gus wrote:We have an estimated 12 foot bay window to utilise (my chop shop area last year.. will be interesting to see what's do-able.
My neighbour is about to get a new projector so I may just be able to borrow another for a multiple set up (fingers crossed)

Is yours DLP or LCD?
That should look great GUS, I look forward to hearing what you've managed to do, good luck with the neighbour :) The projector is LCD.
By GUS
ok, as someone who USED to work with Av equipment (as well as threaten designers for their sometimes muppetry) ..remember!

1. A UPS for about £30 (uninterupted power supply) may save you the cost of a very expensive lamp replacement in the event of a power-cut..

2. no power ups then down ..give it 10+ minutes each & every time or the filaments in the light will degrade faster, in fact up to 50% faster..

3. LCD was prone to scren burn so only use it for around 5 hrs at a time just to be on the safe side..

Things may have changed but this used to be my mantra when setting up £30,000 projectors at hi-fi shows for salivating beardy-weirdies.. small (or big) unwitting fingers can do alot of damage to these precious things
Have you calibrated it yet?

depending on what I can push out of it (size wise) in letterbox format a series of cheap shower curtains (or similar) ..We live in a darkish cul-de-sac with 1 partially obscured street light, so with the lumens the new machine puts out I am hoping not to do too much, might have to take a window out or knock a hole in a wall though!

I really ought to get my big projector unit back from a mate, we used to do 40-60 foot images with that after the pub on a neighbours house.
By GUS
They're nearly done on Hallowindow 3 ..this from twitter..

The new website is getting super close. Fingers crossed it'll go up tomorrow.
7:49 AM Sep 17th from Facebook

Final testing... no whammies!
6 minutes ago from Facebook

Hallowindow Just recorded the voice over for the new Hallowindow III ad. I feel like a pretty big weirdo... but I'm laughing at it so I guess that's good.6 hours ago
Hallowindowhaha. the ad will play on the new website homepage... I'll upload it here and to youTube as well
By S.A.M
It's ALIVE!! Hallowindow III is now available for pre-order.
New video on the site too :D :D :D
http://www.hallowindow.com/

Damn look at that I could have saved some money and bought them both together ... that will teach me to be impatient :lol: