Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By GUS
it's been a good day re-aquainting myself with films again!
..must get my head down.
(just been watching gladiator for the first time in ages, ..wondering how my colleagues ever came to the conclusion that I looked like Russell Crowe, which was my nickname for a good few years..

I hope he's gone to pot too! :lol:
By rytheguy
For those without the budget for a projector, you can experiment with building your own. I have used this method in my haunt before, the quality of the image isn't fantastic, but it's perfectly acceptable for this type of thing.
Basically you will want to find a cardboard box that your monitor will fit snugly inside of and cut off 2 ends. One open end is plugged by the TV and the other is left open for now. Next pick up one of those "magnifying sheets" you can buy them at staples, office depot, etc for uner $10. Cut out another piece of cardboard the same size as the opening that remains in your box. In the center of that square you will want to cut a circle that is the same diameter as the last FULL circle on your magnifying sheet. line up the circle on the magnifying sheet and the circle you cut out and adhere the sheet to the cardboard. Now turn on the TV. aim the thing at a wall and put the cardboard square into the box, push it closer or further from the TV screen until you have a focussed image! I know the directions are kind of confusing... I will try to find a link to the plans I used for mine last year and post it here!
By nosferatu
Thabks for the tip RyTheGuy. I understand what you are getting at perfectly. The one thing that puts me off a projector is the cost of the replacement bulbs
By GUS
..if badly chosen , a replacement bulb can be as annoying as buying a kid trainers that last a fortnight but cost a fortnights wages...

Otherwise check the cost of the bulb pertaining to your list of possible projectore (the net) ..find out the code no & manufacturerer of the bulb, whether it needs an entire casing or merely the bulb unit.. which dictates overall cost & longevity.

invest £30 in a ups power supply & thats about it,other than restraining your use to fri night films rather than let kids watch anything , any time..

Ry is correct a temp box still gets results... it's all about image transferrral which remains a basic projection first & foremost.

In a few years the light boxes will be more commonly led arrays.. which will be cheaper to cobble together & omit things like light ballast.
By SaneInsideInsanity
this is getting way to complex for me :P, though i still wants one
By GUS
SaneInsideInsanity wrote:this is getting way to complex for me :P, though i still wants one
start with the basic lightbox principle..

Add a mirror & a lens

Nowt complex, follows the basic principle of the dvd holgram imagery effect (which i need to review)
By SaneInsideInsanity
:shock: :shock: :shock: :?
my bf is an electricalk type pertson he can figure it out for next year :P
By CombichristGirl
omg i so wanna try this out bad bad sexy. i dont need it super sharp to transferrer i can make it sharper as im transferring it woot ty for the idea. hopefully u can find palns to this :)
By GUS
I made one when i was about nine or ten, though i did have a dinnerplate size magnifying lens to hand, in about 20 minutes you could rig something up.

a proper prismatic lens is handy too
By blueikaos
::jumping up and down::
I want! I want! I want! I want!

oh maaaan do I want!

Might be looking into projectors sometime soon.
At least this way, If I get one, I can use it for movies as well as Halloween!
By S.A.M
nosferatu wrote:Thabks for the tip RyTheGuy. I understand what you are getting at perfectly. The one thing that puts me off a projector is the cost of the replacement bulbs
Aye there is no escaping the cost of the lamp but having said that unless you're using it all day you shouldn't need one for a while.
I bought a Samsung HDTV in March 2007 and I use it for watching TV on a daily basis, movies and gaming sessions, I'd say it's heavily used.
Taking a look in the service menu reveals the TV has been on for a total of 1278 hrs since Mar 07 and it's used daily. The projector I have has a max lamp life of 3000 hrs, I think that helps put the lamp hrs in context.

That said I am of course putting a bit by every so often to buy a spare lamp.

I just think if you're using it for movies and the occasional gaming session you may not need a spare lamp, you might even upgrade the projector before the bulb dies, just a thought ;)
By S.A.M
zombiepumpkins wrote:Could anyone tell me generally what a replacement lamp costs?
For the one I have the price ranged from £130 - £200 whether that would be a conversion of £1=$1 I don't know, could be cheaper or more expensive in the US.

I suppose you could always pick out a couple of models and google the replacement lamp code to get an idea if you want to be sure.
By GUS
I've racked up 15 hours on mine since sunday, basically as it's a new toy, the daughter likes to watch a film after school, me, late at night, & demo-ing it to a neighbour round at his (who is bidding on the unit I linked to)

..a new bulb is £100 (cheapest found so far) ..so I'm echoing what S.A.M. says in terms of putting a bit by & nabbing one.
Currently I'm bunging up a 70 inch image on a dull wall in eco mode with the extra fan running, subsequently it's running VERY cool, extending the life of the light far further (one hopes, based on normal dimming specs) as this is 2500 lumens (which i haven't measured) it's bright enough EASILY in day time with minimal dimming of the room..
Contrast is 2000:1 & is fine for general use,
Compare that to my neighbour whose £1500 (a few years ago) is 300:1 / 400:1 ratio & bulbs cost £200, it's gone wrong ALOT since new & no support ...it's a SONY & it's died way before it's time (the LCD has died)

Do your homework, look at positioning BEFORE you get it, understand LUMENS & contrast... then keep checking ebay (or stores on-line) & take the plunge when what you deem to be a well researched bargain crops up).
I haven't had mine a week yet & already It's booked to do kids cinema (for beer) at a friends house this week-end, ..whilst i'm there with my nipper.
Home cinema isn't a white elephant if you don't need the latest & greatest development (eg HD when up to 1080i will do) ..therefore in context Hallowindow in low light will perform with 1600 lumens & anything else is a bonus.

The more lumens th e better... 2000+ as a "presentation" multimedia cross-over projector, this tends to be a long throw lense (ie move it backward to get a larger picture) & are often overlooked due to their business credentials.
Short throw lenses on the other hand are wider dispersal at shorter display distances & therefore more compklex ((expensive lenses)) ..business projectors often have higher lumens output due to presentations occuring in less than perfect light conditions..
Bag a bargain!
my unit was new & boxed, I simply did my homework & saved around 60% on the rrp.
By GUS
zombiepumpkins wrote:Could anyone tell me generally what a replacement lamp costs?
How long is a piece of string scenario!

..What S.A.M. said!

When looking (too much) for key elements of which model, replacement lamp cost is paramount,
As i mentioned a few posts back..
GUS Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:43 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

..if badly chosen , a replacement bulb can be as annoying as buying a kid trainers that last a fortnight but cost a fortnights wages...

Otherwise check the cost of the bulb pertaining to your list of possible projectore (the net) ..find out the code no & manufacturerer of the bulb, whether it needs an entire casing or merely the bulb unit.. which dictates overall cost & longevity.

invest £30 in a ups power supply & thats about it,other than restraining your use to fri night films rather than let kids watch anything , any time..

Ry is correct a temp box still gets results... it's all about image transferrral which remains a basic projection first & foremost.

In a few years the light boxes will be more commonly led arrays.. which will be cheaper to cobble together & omit things like light ballast.
.....................................................................................................
DLP / LCd? i go for DLP (as i used to work with it) even though i'm prone to rainbow effect, i don't find it annoying.
Back to bulbs though, you have a better chance of claiming a new bulb off the likes of Osram than some no-name generic, in the event of soon after purchase blown bulb, ..but personally I wouldn't pay £175 for a new lightbulb ever, the bulb cost needs to be factored into the purchase, as does cooling (thus extending the lights integrity & useful lifespan).

£100 I can occasionally swallow albeit begrudgingly.