Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By gmuffb
Hi. I have an adult halloween/birthday party every year. I certainly go crazy decorating. But I'm stumped on this one. I've got new people coming this year and since I have a toddler and four dogs my living room carpet is far from presentable. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for hiding it(on a budget of course). My only thought is to gate the doorway off and fill the room with balloons, but I know there's got to be a better more halloween-like solution. Any suggestions would be very appreciated.
By GUS
Dry leaves maybe & hire / buy in a low lying fogger for effect?

..have to keep dogs & child away though in case of being near floor & respiratory problems!
By gmuffb
Dry leaves maybe & hire / buy in a low lying fogger for effect?

..have to keep dogs & child away though in case of being near floor & respiratory problems!
Thank you. Leaves sound interesting, but messy. Nothing my Dyson can't hanle though :) And I've learned from experience that the fog machine is best outside! Oh what a mess once the fog gets warm and fills my whole house!!!!!
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Some low lying fog is the first thing that came to mind for me. But that can be tricky to keep it low. Pretty soon your guests might be walking into each other because they can't see. Plus, there's the whole toxicity factor with toddler and dogs maybe?

This topic reminds me of a party I once attended that had a balloon room... with a fog machine... and lasers. Walking around in there was an experience.
By gmuffb
Thank you. The toddler will be gone so no issues there, but I tried fog inside a couple times and it just fills the whole house, stinks and makes it hard to breath. I save the fog for my outdoor graveyard. I usually put a strobe light in said room and the silly boo toob on my big screen. People might go in there to play the wii this year though. I have alot of black fabric I could use. Anyone think some scene setters would stay on the carpet?? Stapled maybe??
By CombichristGirl
may be a plain brickwall setter laid out so it looks like a brick floor?
By GUS
or black lights galore & inexpensive landscaping material all over the floor (stapled / tacked) to add to the gloom of a dungeon like hole?
..if it survices re-roll it & use it in the garden at a later date or to black out windows!
By GUS
reckon £8.00 worth for a roll may sort you unless you live in snooty hall! :lol:
..might want to keep some duct tape to hand though just in case.
By The Captain
Make the room look like a crime scene and incorporate the stains into it. (So it looks like you put them there) Low lighting, tape outline of a body or two, and crime scene tape to keep people out of the space. Could probably do it for under $20 depending how crazy you get with it.

:D
By gmuffb
Great ideas everyone! It's nice to be able to get advice from people with creativity! My husband and friends are lacking in that dept.

Using everyones' advice I think I'll put some bloody(scene setter) foot prints on the floor leading to a "dead body" covered in a sheet or body bag on the floor. Might even cover the whole floor with fabric and splash fake blood everywhere. The stains aren't terrible so the low lighting might be enough. But just in case I'd like to be covered.

Thanks to everyone for all of your help!!! Great ideas for a topic that I've never seen discussed!
By The Captain
No problem. When you do it take some pictures so we all can check out how cool it turns out. :D
By sissy
You can make the bloody footprint scene setter yourself. We made one using a white sheet and red paint we just put red paint on the bottom of our shoes and walked on the sheet. Also you could add bloody hand prints. Or a plastic floor runner might work haven't tried that. Good Luck