Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By keithk83
Does everyone pay full price for their pumpkins or get some kind of discount for buying in bulk? It has to be expensive to buy so many pumpkins unless you know someone or they fell off a truck.... Not literally ofcourse because then they would be useless. I am just wondering because I'm going to need to get a bunch this year and want to spend as little as possible. :lol:
By gregh3196
I get a lot of mine from local growers and they are usually pretty easy going people. The guy i get mine from usually gives me a good deal when i buy 10 or more.
By vaderknightrider
I almost always get my pumpkins at the local wal mart. I think the prices are reasonable.
By Tkaraoke
vaderknightrider wrote:I almost always get my pumpkins at the local wal mart. I think the prices are reasonable.
I get a few of them from Wallyworld as well since normally they usually sell for about $3.88 a piece. It's getting so much more costly to go any place else.
By Joey
I usually buy from my local college, so their prices are a tad high I think, anywhere from $6 to $20. But the money goes right back into the school, so I don't mind that much. Sadly they don't discount for bulk though.
By Kittie
Wow. . I buy at our local farmers market. Usually pay $1 to $2 each for them. .

This year I am working with the Besser Museum again, and helping out for some of their fall harvest events, so I might even get a truckload donated to me of whatever is left from their fall Harvest Days. .
By CanadianCarver
I too have a local guy that puts them out on a trailer in his front yard. I usually pay $1-$2 a piece. I bought 35 last year.
By keithk83
Good to know. I am looking for a place around here to get cheaper pumpkins. last year i carved around 7 or 8 and spent a lot to get them.
By Pumpkin Head
Wow . . . I wish I could find a place that sold them for $1-2 a piece. All the pumpkin patches in my area are pricey. Last year, I bought 2 or 3 from the patch, and picked up the rest from Long's. I believe they were around $5 a piece. I'll probably just go there again for my pumpkins. As I carve more each year, it's get more expensive. :(
By Tkaraoke
I'm on a real strict budget this year for Halloween and I'm going to limit myself to about 5 pumpkins. I have three uncarved Funkins so I guess that can make up for it.
By belli
Tkaraoke wrote:I'm on a real strict budget this year for Halloween and I'm going to limit myself to about 5 pumpkins. I have three uncarved Funkins so I guess that can make up for it.
I know what you mean. With the economy the way it is, my boyfriend's job is going through layoffs. Chances are his hours and or job will be cut. I told him he better eat as much as he can this next month because in October I'm buying my regular 10-15 pumpkins. So, we'll be on some type of Ramen noodle diet just so that I can still do the thing I love most in October :D Luckily, I also have several funkins and foamkins carved and uncarved just in case the purse strings are tighter than I anticipate. I'm still determined to keep up my tradition.
By Italian Pulli
Every year i go up the the catskills and get about 10 pumpkins for probably around 100 bucks they are all big and there is no correlation in price to size really. Once those are all carved on the days leading up to halloween i usually snag a few leftovers from Stew Leonard's as cheap as i can get them.
By CanadianCarver
Pumpkin Head wrote:Wow . . . I wish I could find a place that sold them for $1-2 a piece. All the pumpkin patches in my area are pricey. . :(

The pumpkin patches in my area are pricey too. They usually have all kinds of activites for kids to lure the people in. The pumpkin prices are too high because of this. Instead I try to find a local farmer who doesn't have a full blown pumpkin patch, and I find they are much cheaper that way. Good luck finding some cheaper sources.