Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By mesmark
So, the title of the thread is a spoiler, but this year's theme is ... Zombies!

I haven't done much other than brainstorm some decorating ideas, but here are the design sketches:

The corner photo spot

the oil drum that I'll use as the zombie virus drum

My idea is the it's a zombie barrier/fence, it's an electric fence and they've broken through. I might add some zombie silhouettes in the background behind the fence, like this:

I'm going to do it the same way as past years. I'll draw all of this on 2.5m strips of gray fabric and hang them. I'm going to make fence posts between the sheets using PVC pipe. That seems like the easiest way to deal with the seams.

The stage will be an attempt to do a concrete wall, steel door and also fencing. This may stretch my abilities, but if it works, it should look cool.

I haven't seen many zombie movies and not a single episode of the walking dead. Sorry!
So, if you guys have any advice for changes, let me know.

I also need to think of better wording for the "power box", the signs on the fence, and the wording for the door. I need to keep it a little clear and simple for the Japanese guests. A lot of the time, they don't understand what things are supposed to be.
By amandap80
Just looking at your drawings make me excited! This is going to be an awesome display. The zombie makeup is always super fun too. :skull:
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Zombie party theme? This is a concept I have some connection too, haha. :man_zombie:

You say you haven't watched many zombie movies, but based on your concept sketches, you definitely have a handle on the iconic tropes of the modern genre. I like the industrial wasteland look. Maybe you'll have an easier time finding real-life props, because your scene is set more in modern day (compared to something like a medieval castle, for example).

The rusted oil drum is great! A nice big prop that instantly adds credibility to the scene. Are you considering using some expanding spray foam to make it look like toxic ooze is spilling out of the barrel? That seems like a pretty common and surprisingly effective way to go.

As for the backdrop - PVC pipes along the seams will be great. With some attached hardware and metallic paint, these can look just like fencing or pipes. A large piece of your old-standby foam insulation board can become a "Zombie containment unit" door, again with some weathering, paint and details to make it look like metal.

I see a lot of chain-link fence in your backdrop. How would you accomplish that? I'm assuming using real fencing isn't practical, so would you draw all those grids of metal links? Seems that might be get quite tedious.

Regarding the signs and labels being understood by your Japanese guests, could you use a lot of symbols like this? Obviously they are meant to convey caution information quickly, but I don't know how universal these symbols are across the globe.

By Pumpkinfreak
Looking at your sketches I can already see this is going to be a great one again this year!
I always enjoy the build up to the end result of your work every year, you're an artist!
By sloaner
"I haven't done much other than brainstorm some decorating ideas, but here are the design sketches"

Haha was that a pun. I'm sure this will turn out great like all your other displays. Keep up with the pictures.
By mesmark
Ryan - Thanks for the ideas and signs. I'll definitely use those symbols and then maybe some simple English warning.

For the drum, I think I'm just going to use some foam around front to make it look like the virus has spilled out. I like the spray foam idea and some of those drums in the image look like the drum has weathered and the virus seeped out. That's a prop for later so, I'll see what I can find.

Yes, I'm drawing all that chain link and yes, it is tedious, but oh well. No more tedious than drawing all those images for the Egypt theme :confounded:

But before I could start I had to make a late night run to get supplies.

And here is a first look at said sheets of fencing...

I hung the sheet to get an idea of how high to draw the horizon. With no real reason behind it, I choose to draw it at about 1.2m and then added some zombies.

I painted the sign and shaded the ground a bit. Seems like that will work.

The sign is a little bold, but it's done now, maybe with metallic fence posts and some other things in the scene, it will look OK.

And here's a look at the 2 sheets that I've done so far. And I added some pumpkin mascots up front. That gives me a better idea of how things will look when I add little props on the day and people are standing in front of the backdrops.

Each sheet takes about 1.5 hours to draw and then another 30 minutes or so to paint. :poop:
I was thinking it was going to be quick and easy this year. Oh well, better get back to it. Only 7 more of these sheets to go.

(I watched Shawn of the Dead for research. Fun movie! I'm not sure I found any ideas that I could steal but it helped fuel the fire. )
Last edited by mesmark on Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
By mesmark
Pumpkinfreak wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:16 am
Looking at your sketches I can already see this is going to be a great one again this year!
I always enjoy the build up to the end result of your work every year, you're an artist!
Thanks for looking and commenting. It's fun for me to share these with you guys.

sloaner wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:35 pm
"I haven't done much other than brainstorm some decorating ideas, but here are the design sketches"

Haha was that a pun. I'm sure this will turn out great like all your other displays. Keep up with the pictures.
I was going to take credit for the well penned pun, but I haven't gotten that into character yet. I need to start thinking more zombie ...

More pictures to come!
By mesmark
So, tonight I'm celebrating (with the remainder of the supplies) the completion of the fence and zombie stenciling of 9 sheets!

I used a piece of cardboard to make the stencil. Then, I stenciled on a thin line and had to go back over it to make it thicker and smoother.

Once the fencing is done, I make a horizon line and then start to add zombies

I fill them in and for this sheet, I tried white eyes on he closest zombie.

It turned out OK, but that was the only white-eyed zombie that I did.

In case you were wondering, ... yes. I did add this one as well.
By sloaner
A guy I work with is currently in Japan on Vacation. I'll forward him the invite :grin:
By staticfurball
I look forward to your set up every year. U never disappoint. I'd love to know how u did those pumpkin carvings....
By mesmark
staticfurball wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:00 pm
I look forward to your set up every year. U never disappoint. I'd love to know how u did those pumpkin carvings....
StaticFB - Thanks for the nice comments. This year is not really shaping up the way I'd like but maybe once it's all done and together it will be OK ....?? :thinking:

I made those Zombie mascots with foam. Probably a very similar process as your monster treats. Here is a thread with some documentation on the process:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11707

That's my Frankenstein theme post but if you scroll down to the bottom of the first page, it has the info on the ZP mascots.

And here is the post with the first 3 that I made:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11302
staticfurball liked this
By mesmark
So, I started work on the concrete wall part of the display. I'm not super happy but not totally disappointed. Put me somewhere in the middle at this point. Here's what I did.

First I drew some break lines at 1.0m and 2.0m and I added the circle things I see on all of the walls. I think they have something to do with setting the rebar. Those filled spots were set every 60cm both horizontally and vertically. Then I attempted to paint and stain the concrete.

Here's my station and tools: paint, PVC pipe to hold the fabric, 2 syringes to squirt paint, a water bottle, a beer bottle filled with water (so I don't have to keep running back and forth to the tap)

I had the table under the pipe set slightly forward so that the fabric would be at a slight angle downward. That way the drips would run down the fabric and not just drop to the floor. I used syringes and slowly squirted diluted black and brown paint along the lines.

Then I sprayed them with water to get the paint to disperse. And, oops, that didn't really work out. I can't tell if I sprayed them too much or not enough. Or maybe I shouldn't have sprayed them at all. But, it's done now.

Here they are, drying on my lawn. I also diluted a little black paint and misted them to make the sheets a bit more textured. It makes little black dots, like pores or small crevices.

Finally here are 2 of the sheets hanging. The one on the left might be the worst of the set of 5. The one on the right looks pretty good.

I will use one sheet for the door, so basically you won't see much of it at all. I will use the one I like the least for that. And on one sheet I was planning to draw a big hole, so maybe I can cover up some mistakes on anothe one. I'm not real sure if the hole in the wall makes any sense, but it might look cool.

The sheets look great in the dark. (Don't we all.) :lol:
Here's a low light photo.

In years to come, these should all work well inside a haunted house.

I was thinking to add blood or bloody hand prints on the wall. That could also cover up a mistake - but it could also draw more attention to a certain area. (I used the bloody hand print above to cover up the misalignment with the sign text. The "Beware" was left aligned :D )
By mesmark
So, kids are funny. My 12 year old daughter tried to poke hole in my whole zombie set.

Daughter: Dad, the wire fence doesn't make sense. Zombies could just use a piece of wood or something and destroy the fence pretty easily.

Me: Are you kidding. That's 20 gauge, nanotech hydrotanium wire with 10,000 volts of electricity running through it. 100 zombies attacking all at once couldn't get within 20 feet of that thing. Think about it.

Daughter: ...

Me: Someone let them in.

Daughter: (jaw drops) Awesome!

:lol:
staticfurball liked this
By mesmark
I'm working on painting the sheets. I might be able to finish everything tomorrow, but here's a look at trying to do something with the concrete wall sheets.

I sort of liked and didn't like my hole in the wall. It didn't have any depth. So, I darkened the to and added crack lines.

I have to place the door in the middle of one of the sheets, esentially covering almost the whole thing. So, I thought that I'd try the hole and if I didn't like it, that would be the "door" sheet. But I can't decide now :D