Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By mesmark
This year we're going to be ghosts. Our image is old 1800s type ghosts that might haunt an old house or show up in your pictures or something.

I wasn't sure what I'd do for a photo spot. Here's what I came up with.

The plan:

Here is the test sheet work I did to make the old cracked plaster wall:

Then, I sprayed it with diluted black paint. It sort of looks like a moldy old wall. And, I added some brown and white paint to the bricks and some white on the mortar.

I made 8 sheets so far and might make 4 more just to complete the set for use in larger areas in years to come.

I also added this guy to one of the sheets.

The plan for this year's sign and stage front:

More images and news to come. I need to actually go do some Halloween and pumpkin carving prep work. I have 2 families coming over today to carve.
Last edited by mesmark on Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S.A.M liked this
Mesmark, your props always blow me away! The amount of detail is incredible and it looks great so far!
Wow, that already looks amazing!
I like the sheets you did already, and the guy peeping out of the bricks is great! :D
I always look forward to seeing what you'll come up with again for Halloween,
the detail in your work never seizes to amaze me, great job so far!
By mesmark
MoH and PumpkinFreak, thanks for the nice comments. The sheets turned out well. I had actually imagined a different outcome with the spray part. I was thinking of a finer spray and trying to make dark sections and lighter sections. But it didn't't really mist like I had planned and I got those larger drips. But in the end, that might have been better. I just kept that up and made 8 sheets so far.
Last edited by mesmark on Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Here's the work that I did to make the sign.

Pieces cut

Pieces painted

My kids painted the lettering for me while I worked on the rest

Here it is glued together and after adding the spider webbing

And lastly, I added some black cheese cloth.

I wanted to make a really big sign, and did. It's 2m wide and with the draping fabric, 2m high. It should be great for the party, but I have no idea how I'm going to store it :/
S.A.M liked this
By sloaner
Thanks for sharing the pictures Mark. I always like seeing your new theme for the year. How do you cut the foam? The eyes on the skulls have a nice curve to them.
The sign came out great! And wow that really is big, but it will sure make an impression, great job :thumbsup:
I like the shading on the skulls, really great.
Love all the pumpkins in the background of the picture :D
By mesmark
Sloaner, I use a small, thin box cutter if I need to do curves or small sections. It can usually turn a bit as it slices. I do tend to snap blades a few times a year, though.

PumpkinFreak, thanks! I think the sign will look good at the place. It's going to just be a bit of a problem getting it there and back. And like I said, storing it. But, I might be able to find a space for it, or break it apart and just use the skulls for something else.

I also made two hanging ghost skeletons to go on either side of the sign.

I made 2 more skeleton heads

Then I attached a back piece to give them some depth

I used a piece of black fabric to make a hood and part of the cloak.

Lastly, I added some black cheese-cloth stuff I had to finish the look.

I made 2 of these. They didn't quite turn out like I had imagined, but they should look good next to the sign. We'll see...
S.A.M, j9mcl liked this
Yeah I can imagine that it's not easy storing or transporting a piece that big, but from what I've seen already I'm sure you'll figure something out :wink:
Those new skulls look great! The shading gives them that extra depth, and using a back piece will make them really stand out, and the cheese-cloth finishes them off perfectly. I bet they will look fantastic next to the sign.
I always love seeing these projects coming together, can't wait to see more! :thumbsup:
By amandap80
Your attention to detail and craftsmanship never ceases to amaze me! Fantastic work! :thumbsup:
By mesmark
Thanks everybody for the nice comments. It's always fun to share these projects with you guys, but now we're so close to Halloween, I'm running out of time to get on here. This year was a little light on props but at least I got to make these.

The party is this Sunday and this year I've spent some time and energy on making the party set-up easier and smoother. We'll see if that really happens.

My wife spent a lot of time making costumes this year. I hope we can pull off the look.

Anyway, I should have some final pictures and news soon.