Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
Well, I show these to my friends on my journal, but I think you guys will appreciate em much more!

1st I'll show you the inside-

This is our Halloween tree. It's just a fake tree we have there year round but with seasonal lights in it lol. Typical pumpkins, skulls, and those pink skeletons that flicker. The white pumpkin is a gift to my GF with a ZP Zero design for her to carve and the Peanuts one is a gift I made that you can see up close in another thread on the pumpkin photos board.

This is my haunted gingerbread house. Hey man, I may be a lowly 20yr old college student but I can still have fun and make stuff like this! I like the blood... see, the house is possessed by a.... house monster... so it's bloody!

Now here's the outside-

Here be two spooky spiders and a skeleton. I usually hang him in a tree, but this year I had this idea involving the roof and lots of ducttape... so he ended up here. He's survived 3 very severe thunderstorms so I'm sure my tape work will hold. If you look carefully right under the light you'll see a black strobelight sitting there which flashes up onto the skeleton and the face of the house.

This is our ghost, stack-o-pumpkins, and our large 'showoff to the neighbors' pumpkin. You can see him and our other 'neat' pumpkin in a thread on the pumpkin photos board.

Here's our raven candelabra. We made this ourselves. We took the plastic candle looking lights and stuck em on there along with the raven in the middle.

These are bones. For some reason I love em.

We live in a 'Patio Home' so this is half of our front yard lol. We put a graveyard in it this year. Now then, in the tree you'll see a cauldron... This has a strobelight in it that flashes up into the tree shrouding the whole thing in strobey goodness. Looks great at night!

Close-up of the carcass guy in one of the graves. We accidentally bought potting soil instead of straight dirt to make the graves cuz it was cheaper... So we had a manuer smell hanging around for a while lol.

Now the night shots!

Yeah, all the bushes have orange and purple lights in em. The strobe shows up here but ya can't really get the effect, though you can get the idea. The ghost is blue... He was originally white, but I replaced the bulb last year with a blacklight... which was creepily cool... until it blew up (literally) which then I put in the blue bulb. You can see those flickering flame bulbs in the lamp there... all lamps should have those during October lol.

Here you see the raven candelabra. The house looks like it's in this pinkish/orange glow but it's just the camera really... The bones flicker and they're cool!

Last but not least a close-up of Marcuss the Carcass (so the box calls him) in all his lightup glory. He slowly pulses on and off etc.

That's it. Tell me what you think! My goal is to get Halloween decorations just as popular as Christmas decorations around here. I've already got some of the neighbors puttin up stuff so it's working!
Last edited by GeologySage on Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
By sodajazz
O.M.G

halloween spirit

i want to live in america. england is so stiff
i carve loads of pumpkins over halloween and decorate my house
some of my neighbours think im a freak....... but each year more and more ppl join in.... one day :twisted:
By Dans banana Loafcake
I'm a england freak aswell. Wish Halloween wasn't just a kids thing over here! No one takes anyone who takes halloween serious well.....Serious over here!

DAn
By FlyTags
Good lord. You really go all-out, eh? How long does it take you to set all of that up? A couple weeks? You definitely get an "A" for creativity and effort. Nice job!
By Dragon
That is awesome! I love the gingerbread house. Did you make your own or did it come as a kit?
By taber
Wow, awesome!! That must have taken a ton of time. Nice house, too.

Edit: And by house I mean your actual house not the gingerbread one. Haha. But that's cool too.
Last edited by taber on Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
By GeologySage
The house is a kit.

Most of the stuff is all bought... I figure why make stuff when you can buy it all when time is a factor...

To put up all the stuff only took half a day. I keep it all in a box ala Xmas lights and put it all out on October 1st.
By tone
That's fantastic! It really puts a smile on my face. :D

I especially like how there's different areas of interest all throughout your yard and inside the house (and the bones are very funny!).

Not far from where I live, there's a big house that always has an enormous display of decorations on their lawn for various holidays, including Halloween. It's always impressive... but at the same time, it's always contained to their front lawn, rather than integrated into the landscape and architecture the way you did it. I like your approach better!

-Tone (whose current halloween decor is comprised of two small gourds sitting in the livingroom... :? ... but hey, that's two more decorations than I had last year!)
By GeologySage
The biggest part of putting it all up is actually the electric stuff. Figuring out where to put extension cords and where things plug in is quite a task lol. I created a diagram this year so that I wont have to figure it out again next year.
By StyleTee
i'm impressed! i particularly like the spiders, they look great!
By GeologySage
It poured here a few days back. I mean REALLY poured (by SoCal standards). All my decorations survived.

Posting here just to mention that my 'Marcus the Carcass' got his hair slicked back from the rain and looks really odd right now lol.
By Lil-Biggie
where can i get a marcuss the carcuss in england or if not on the net.
By sodajazz
stupid atlantic ocean :!: halloween sells...... we need someone to start a decent halloween range in england :)
By mesmark
I will 16ththe fantastic on that. I put out pumpkins but can't be bothered to do the house. However, looking at that makes me want to hit the stores.

Unfortunately, there's no trick-or-treat in Japan, so we won't be getting any visitors.

I have 14 Jacks sitting on my door steps and we have had one person come to look. :cry:

Oh well, they're all for my Halloween party tomorrow anyway. Unfortunately in the bright daytime so the whole effect will be lost.

Maybe that one person will tell a hundred and I'll have more visitor and do my house up nice like GeologySage.