Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
These look spectacular!! However, I am perplexed as to your question. What would you be painting black exactly? I think it looks fine the way it is. But if it were me, I would paint the body a slightly deeper shade of brown. Gives it a more Scare-crow vibe.

Love how they/it turned out though!
The husband had said they needed more black on the body. I think that's what he was getting at, that they needed to be a darker color.
amandap80 wrote:I think that's what my husband was getting at, that they needed to be a darker color on the body.
Scarecrows tend to be made of burlap if memory serves, it's a tough material and has a moderate shade of brown to it. When you first buy it, it has a lighter color as you have there, but the idea (correct me if I'm wrong), is to have an aged and weathered look to it (at least for a terrifying Sentinel like that :shock: ).

I would attempt a re-paint of the body in a brown more like this color swatch

Ignore the Burlap color, it's slightly off. What I would go for is a color closer to Autumn Bronze. It has that creepiness factor when applied to these wonderful creatures you have.

My two cents :twisted:
Looks great!

The only thing I can think of is shading with a darker color. The photo you have there is in broad daylight though. At night it should be plenty dark and have nice shadows. The lighter color should catch some light better. If you paint it too dark, it might not be so visible at night. How are you going to light it? Do you have any nighttime photos yet?
Very beautiful, if that's the right word. I think Mes is right, if you go too dark you may lose some of the definition at night. I wouldn't do too much more to them. They're fantastic, I need them!! :D
Ok, second one almost done. They will be lit from inside with a red bulb, and surrounded by orange string lights and a few strategically placed green, blue and yellow spot lights. There will be very little in the way of other lighting, just enough to light pieces but keep the yard freaky looking. I will take an after dark picture tonight.
They are done - lovingly nicknamed Fred and George.
Crappy cell phone shots, but it has been a long productive day and I am too tired to drag out the other camera:
lit with a flicker bulb - needs to be brighter IMO.
Head unlit - spotted with blue light
Closer