Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By Killed by Death
I met Ray Villafane at the New York Botanical Garden today. If you're not sure who he is, check out his website. You've undoubtedly seen his work. He seems like a really cool down to earth guy. He and his sculptors were working on a big Venus Flytrap carve that was going to have wasps coming out of the giant pumpkin and attacking the plant. Sue Beatrice, who is on this year's Halloween Wars, was also there as part of his team. The pumpkin that the carver is sitting on is the current world record holder at 2,032 lbs.

This was one of the wasps to be used in the display.

Me , my wife, and my daughter with Ray Villafane. It's hard to see but notice my Laboratory of the Zombie Pumpkins shirt in the picture with Ray. Minion worthy!!!
By amandap80
That is so neat!
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Awesome! Ray may not be famous to everyone, but for our crowd he's among the pumpkin royalty. So cool that you got to see him and his team in action, and even meet and take photos! Thanks for wearing your ZP shirt there too! :thumbsup: I'm trying to zoom in and see what shirt Ray is wearing. Presumably a Villafane Studios shirt?
By nosferatu
He truly is an artist and how great that you met him. I wish he would produce small versions of his works as collectors items. I have his pumpkin book which is stunning, something I wish Ryan would do. I know he has been to Europe recently but sadly not here which is a shame because I think his artistry would garner a lot of media attention.

Great pic of you and the family with him. I expect you to be posting stunning pictures now that you have been in the presence of such a prodigious talent.
By Killed by Death
Yeah Ryan, he was wearing a Villafane studios shirt. He had them for sale and they were great but at $25 I couldn't justify it after spending my money on so much other Halloween nonsense. However I did notice him eyeing my ZP shirt a couple of times. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words Nos. If one iota of his talent rubbed off on me then I will be blessed. Yes, he was in Germany and Switzerland I believe. I think he also does many of his sand sculptures out in Europe, which are incredible if you haven't seen them.