Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By purple1worm
So I decided my witch needed some accessories! She needed a cauldron, so I set about making her one.
1st I made the base by papier macheing half the side of a beach ball which had a cardboard edge . I added a rim with toilette paper rolls cut in half. Then two more coats of papier macher.
Next I added the brew! I got spray foam ( 2x expansion) and sprayed inside making some spill out of the edge and drip out the side!
Two coats of black spray paint!
I put a good thick coat of geso as primer on the "brew" to cover the black paint.
Next I have to find or make a good lime or neon green for the brew.
Last edited by purple1worm on Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By SuperSonic
I can almost hear it bubbling. That gives off a great mental image of a Witch brewing the most devilish of poisons :twisted:

Blub...blub...blub blub...GUURGLE! Bubble.

I agree with SCAREcrow in terms of Green/Lime Green paint. The other one I've seen (and suprisingly looks good), is Neon Yellow.

Keep us posted. I wanna see the final product.
By SuperSonic
Raven wrote:Looks really good! After you paint the brew it might be cool to place a few green glow sticks inside the cauldron to give it a nice eerie glow.
Thats a super idea!
Here's a pic of it with 2 coats of "tropical Green" ! I love the color. Now to find a glow in the dark paint to cover the brew! Then it'll be ready to varnish.
Last edited by purple1worm on Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By SuperSonic
Now THAT is cool! :thumbsup:
By staticfurball
Looking good, cant wait to see it with glow in the dark paint! :thumbsup:
By amandap80
Love that green bubbling brew! I did something similar with mine this year too!
By Zombie Pumpkins!
That spray foam works great for the bubbling cauldron. I'll have to play with that stuff someday. I was thinking of making some witch related props this year, but it wasn't in the cards. Maybe next year.

The green color is great for the foam parts. When you varnish it, will you use something that stays glossy when it dries? A nice clear gloss coat might be a good way to make the overflowing bubbles look wet and slimy.