Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
Superb costumes as usual! Your family makes a great team... not only as a cast of characters, but also taking on different roles like prop builder or costume seamstress. As a group you can do just about anything, it seems (or seams).

I think the costumes are well suited to your theme and props. Classic piracy, with a bit of whimsical exaggeration. I love the vibrancy. All the costumes go together obviously, but each of you have slightly different details and your own color.

Do the children always like the family theme you pick each year? Do you ever find that one of the kids wants to mutiny from the group and do their own thing? It would look strange to see a gang of pirates standing next to... a robot.
All I've been doing in this thread is re-using superlatives. I've quite simply run out.

WOW! Sugoi!!! (The same thing in Japanese for those who higlight this)! I just want to be there. It looks like a TON of fun. The family is in nice vibrant colors, fitting for a Captain and his crew of your caliber!! I can't wait to see the party in full swing now. Keep it up! :frank: :pirate:
By mesmark
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:Do the children always like the family theme you pick each year? Do you ever find that one of the kids wants to mutiny from the group and do their own thing? It would look strange to see a gang of pirates standing next to... a robot.
We try to have a family meeting and pick a topic together, but I like to do this in March or so. I need to get an idea of what we're thinking and start thinking about what I need to do.

This year, toward the beginning of Sept. some of the younger ones started to request different costumes or themes, but we had to put the breaks on that :pirate:

I think that since we've been doing it like this for so long, they just assume all families wear the same costumes. :thumbsup:

on the costumes:
My wife went around some used clothes stores and found shirts. She made the corsets for the girls, the sashes and head pieces. She also threaded the strings for ties on the shirts.

I had suggested that we use the head pieces and sashes to unify the whole operation, maybe the same mark or something. I'm not sure who came up with the idea of each having our own color, but I think it will look good in a family picture with all of the different colors. Hopefully we'll have time to take some different shots.
By amandap80
Mesmark, those costumes are amazing! Everything looks so great together, and the pirate ship is super impressive! Those kids in the pirate costumes are so cute they almost made me consider having children! :lol:
Arrgh, ye be looking a motley bunch of scallywags indeed! I'd sail to the Locker and back to have such a crew, yaaargh...

Right, enough pirate speak, it's getting silly now. :pirate:

Love it all. Incredible, that's all I can say. How you manage to do all of this and have a job and carve a load of pumpkins every year always amazes me.
By mesmark
monstermash wrote:Love it all. Incredible, that's all I can say. How you manage to do all of this and have a job and carve a load of pumpkins every year always amazes me.
Yeah, it can be overwhelming and at one point I thought I might put "the last" Halloween party! instead of the 2013 Halloween party on the invitation. But, I've had quite a few people come up recently and tell me how much they are looking forward to the party. Some friends have really gone out of their way to offer help on the day and for set up. So, while I work alone in Sept., it all comes together in late Oct.

I'm getting really excited and I can't wait to see it all together. :pirate:

Here is one last progress shot. I have been working on pumpkin carving for the past week and a half and haven't done much of anything for the decorations. I've had to cut fabric, make pirate ship cup cake flags, pick up keys, order food for the after party (volunteers come back to our place for drinks and dinner) and that kind of behind-the-scenes boring stuff. But I recently made a flag, some bottles, shark fins for a plank-walking game, and a key to place near my open treasure chest.

I plan to place the bottles in the photo scene on the floor. I think they'll fill a little space. The flag will just be tied to a rope in the photo scene as well.

Tomorrow night we'll begin set up. Wish me luck!
Its just too good Mes :D . I'm just looking into commandeering a vessel and sailing some of the seven seas to get to your party. If the wind is right I just might make it. :pirate: Your pumpkins look great in amongst the props. Each one compliments the other. I really like the subtle red on the horizon, how have you done that? I'd guess red lights behind the backdrop. I hope, no I know the party will be a blast and remember to enjoy it yourself. It's easy to forget to do that when your the host.
:pirate: :pirate: :pirate:
Just spectacular! I really love how much work and effort you put into this. I would love to be able to do the same thing, but alas, this house has no room for such things.

Be sure to let us know how the party goes! :thumbsup:
I don't know what else to day that hasn't already been stated. The work you and your family do for one night is simply amazing. Your kids will have the greatest Halloween memories!

This has probably been asked before (maybe even by me) but is there traditional type trick or treating there where kids go door to door?