Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By mesmark
not much new to report, but a few small things here and there from here on out.

I made some more swords and some daggers

and here's the armory, 13 in all (final shot. I'm not making any more swords)

I added treasure to my treasure chest

I added some rope to my pier pillars:

I tried to make the sand paper beach, but it didn't work out. I think I'm just going to buy some fabric and try that. It won't look great, but at least it won't look terrible.

I'm working on a "Pirates Ye Be Warned" sign and the sails for my ship. I might have a couple more pictures after this weekend.
By amandap80
I am incredibly jealous of your work area and talent. Your work is superb.
HOLY S&$%!!!! Mesmark you are incredible!

Your handiwork is nothing short of amazing. Your craftsmanship is so precise and creative. I love what you have done so far! :pirate: It is amazing what you can do with styrofoam. I want to come to your Pirate Cove!!!
My mouth waters for the final shot when everything is together. I like the mix of sword styles. Makes me think of At Worlds End when the Bretheren Court gathers. So many different styles and cultures.

Keep it up! The final countdown has begun! :thumbsup:
By mesmark
I
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:Quite an armory. I like how your props look realistic and yet... sort of exaggerated in a cartoony way. You can't buy props like this. Making your own is the way to go!
Thanks! I think, in general, I like the cartoon-y/exaggerated look for my props. That's also what drew me to ZP, the spooky-cartoonish style.
Making your own is certainly the way to go. If you make it all yourself, you get the image you want and everything goes together.
SCAREcrow wrote:The more I have been looking around for decor the more I realize how much better homemade is!
I agree with you. I have wasted so much time looking around for something good, that I've realized it's quicker and often cheaper to just make something myself instead. It also ends up being unique and you don't get people say things like, "I saw that in Party America ..."
CorpseBride wrote:HOLY S&$%!!!! Mesmark you are incredible!

Your handiwork is nothing short of amazing. Your craftsmanship is so precise and creative. I love what you have done so far! :pirate: It is amazing what you can do with styrofoam. I want to come to your Pirate Cove!!!
You're too kind. I've seen your stuff and I'm just trying to keep up. :)
It would be great to have you over. I could use a CB touch to the party!

The pirate ship is complete. I added the sails, flags, and painted some glowing windows. It might be too big and the sails are sort of translucent, but it should work.

The lighting in the room is making the sails seem purple-ish, but in person they match the ship.

Here is my 'Pirates Ye Be Warned' sign

I'm going to have one skeleton pirate hanging on one side and an empty noose on the other. The sign will be hung with the same rope.

The costumes are pretty much finished. Here is one of the scalawags from our crew:

We might have a full dress rehearsal soon.
By mesmark
Zombombie - Thanks! We're going to keep her. She good for swabbing a deck or two :pirate:

here's the outcome of dress rehearsal. On the day, we'll get a little dirty. I might do some Jack Sparrow-type dark/goth eyes and maybe a cheap looking scar.

And I always judge the success of a costume by what happens when the kids put them on.

So far, so good.