Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By mesmark
monstermash wrote:I really like the subtle red on the horizon, how have you done that? I'd guess red lights behind the backdrop. I hope, no I know the party will be a blast and remember to enjoy it yourself. It's easy to forget to do that when your the host.
The red horizon was done with some orange pumpkin lights and since that wasn't enough, orange rope lights. And since that wasn't enough, we balled up the rope lights and just threw them behind the ship ... which still wasn't really enough. I was hoping for a little bit more color, but we had to move on.

I did my best to enjoy the party. I probably could have done a little better. BUT, I enjoyed the pumpkin out of myself at the after party :pirate:

Not too much changed with the stage scene on the day. We centered the pier, brought the islands a bit more center, pulled the palm trees in and forward a bit, and closed the curtains about a foot or so on each side. Like I said, not much change but certainly for the better.

In the photo spot, I dressed my little skeleton in some pirate garb, angled the crate a bit more, added some rope and a pirate flag, and also covered the tree's vase with a burlap sack.

Here are the final shots and our costumes:

We be taking takin' the beach, says I!

I was happy with the whole deal, particularly the photo spot. This might be the best photo corner I've put together so far.

As always thanks ZP members for the nice comments, advice and feedback. It's always great to share the preparation with you guys! It's become a big part of my Halloween :pirate:
As usual, its just all fantastic, something you have created out of nothing that is truly inspiring and looks amazing. I love it all and wish I had the patience and skill to accomplish something half as good. I can't wait to see what you dream up for next year.
Mesmark - Just.... stunning. What can I say. It really is impressive, how much you accomplish. You talk about being just about done or running out of time... but then, "Oh, and I made a flag, key, bottles, shark fins, etc...." I can attest to the fact that we're never really done until we have to be... which is... which Halloween arrives.

I want to pick a favorite prop in your scenery, but I can't. It's all great, and all cohesive. As I probably mentioned, I love the style of your crew's skull and crossbones (which I plundered for my own use, in one of the V.I.P. patterns, which further integrated into your display). Nice choice to make your jolly roger flag black and orange. Perhaps not a typical pirate color scheme, but totally fitting for Halloween.

The family group shots alone make all the work worth it, I say. So so cool.

Thank you for sharing the photos with us... the process through to completion. I know editing, uploading and writing commentary for the photos also eats up some of your time. I'm sure you enjoy making these displays, and I know your party guests appreciate it. But knowing you have an audience here to also view and appreciate your work... I hope that makes it even more worth it. Think about it... this topic has been viewed 1375 times. And received 114 comments! You'll always have an audience for your work here. :pirate:
Thanks again everybody. It was a fun year and turned out better than I expected. The props filled the stage and didn't seem too big. Surprisingly, they don't seem out of proportion to each other as well. That goes to show that sometimes no plan is a good plan. :pirate:
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote: Nice choice to make your jolly roger flag black and orange. Perhaps not a typical pirate color scheme, but totally fitting for Halloween.
Thanks! I decided to make it black and orange just to be a bit more Halloween-y. It turned out OK, but I had to use a stiffener to be able to cut the pattern out quickly and cleanly. Since I did that, the flag didn't hang as nicely as I would have liked. However, I was very happy with the photo corner this year. I even got to include a ghost pirate :pirate:
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:The family group shots alone make all the work worth it, I say. So so cool.
The family photo might be my favorite part and I'm sure in years to come it definitely will be. I've been thinking about blowing up some of the photos from years past, framing them and putting them up in our living room. The only thing stopping me is time, but I'm hoping to get that done this month.

I have fully cleaned up and gotten a few of the things I put off completed. I cleaned up a little the first day after the party, but then went back for more a few days later. At the party, people had just thrown stuff in tubs and boxes to bring them back to my house. So, I had to reorganize:

Everyone asks what I do with all of this stuff. Here is one of three closets. This one has the coffin lid and East India Trading company box as well, but they sit in front of all of the stuff.

Anyway, they all sort of look like that, packed to the edges.

I also posted the pictures to my website with a full write up of the party,
http://www.marks-english-school.com/news/2013halloween/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and here's a look at our pirate ship cakes we made for this year.

We had less people than last year, but it feels like people are putting more and more effort into their costumes. It's encouraging to think so at least. :phantom:

take your eyes off the loot for a minute and you'll be had. Bloody pirates!

:pirate: