Trading tips for dark displays and prop production.
By pagemaster1993
I got a free Fog Machine a year or so ago, but never really got around to using. A few weeks ago I decided to test it out and see how it worked and it's okay. I know that it originally came from Wal-Mart so it's nothing special. Like most typical cheap fog machines it pushes out heavy hot fog which rises, but what I want to do is have ground hugging fog. That way my neighbors don't think I started a fire.

So what I need to make is a fog chiller...

I've watched few videos on YouTube:

Also this build project from Halloween-Online:

http://www.halloween-online.com/sfx/hal ... iller.html

But what I really want is your input. Have any of you made one, or attempted to make one? Did it work? I want all the help I can get. I would like to have it done by this Halloween because I believe the fog will add a layer of atmosfear to my trick or treat theme.
By chuckwagon
I think I might actually have the same exact machine that your talking about Page. Bought it a few years ago from wal-mart too. I was wondering about the same thing when I first got mine, and found that there is actually fog machine solution sold that is specifically for the ground hugging effect that you are talking about, so it's not totally necessary to build a bunch of stuff out of trash cans or Styrofoam coolers and dryer vent hoses if you don't want to. It's called 'fog juice'
If you have the spare materials just laying around, and want to do something creative, then go for it, but I would think that finding a place to hide it all while the machine is going would be difficult. I've never made one myself, but it seems really easy. cool idea, anyway
Just in case you wanted to see what the ground fog juice looked like, and priced for, here's a link to amazon where I found some...Kinda pricey, so it might be worth the while to build a chiller, but at least you have options.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... d9vb4jr9_b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By S.A.M
I built that fog chiller in the first video (ultimate fog chiller) and it works fantastically! However if you're intending to use it or any fog chiller outside you really need to have a perfectly still night, very little in the way of wind *parp* otherwise your fog will just dissipate as soon as it exits the chiller. Unfortunately for me we very rarely get a perfect Halloween night so I've only ever used my fog machine and chiller for one Halloween but in testing it out before the big day; the fog did stick the ground and it looked wicked, it does take quite a bit of ice to get it working right :)
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I'm in a similar situation S.A.M. I built a chiller for my fog machine a few years ago. And I'm still waiting for a Halloween with good weather so I can finally try it out. Haha. In the past few years we've had everything from hurricanes to snow! :shock:
By pagemaster1993
I won't have to worry about it for a while. This years Trick-Or-Treat theme and my already planned for 2014 won't really need it either. Though I may just build it to have it when I may need it, because you never know when you need fog that hugs the ground.