Chronicle your costume creation and share photos of your disguise.
oooo I am so excited for this one. My husband and I are having our portrait taken for our 6th anniversary so we are dressing up like a steampunk couple (we're also going to a Halloween party on 10/27)

- It will consist of my red jacket (I wore it with my wedding dress, see photo below)

Announcing..the Mr. and Mrs! by Lala (Shady Lane Studios), on Flickr

White runchy ruffly poofy underskirt (making it out of the satin striped sheet that I made my ghost costume from last year!)

299623_10150351291362507_1648454296_n by Lala (Shady Lane Studios), on Flickr

Peacock blue crushed velvet overskirt/bustle (Photo is of the fabric)

IMG_9797 by Lala (Shady Lane Studios), on Flickr

Corset - I was going to make it, but I am too lazy and busy, so I've been looking on ebay. Right now I'm considering something like this (I didn't win the auction...boooo...)

corset by Lala (Shady Lane Studios), on Flickr

Some kind of belt thing - still working on that

earrings - probably keys

Medals - going to use the tutorial at this link http://www.epbot.com/2012/06/quick-craf ... 28EPBOT%29

Hat - going to emelish it (see photo)

IMG_9791 by Lala (Shady Lane Studios), on Flickr

Gun - going to steampunk it out! I need to get a gun for my hubby as well

IMG_9796 by Lala (Shady Lane Studios), on Flickr

I also got a black lace/satin parasol. kind of an impulse buy. I don't know if I'm going to keep it or not. I forgot to take a pic of it.

Personalizing it:
My necklace (see photo) reminds me of the amulet in "Monster Squad" (pendant from Michael's)

IMG_9795 by Lala (Shady Lane Studios), on Flickr
I will some something with the Flux Capacitor (medal)
and something with either Keymaster or Gatekeeper (Ghostbusters)
Last edited by Lala on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oh, you're going to have fun with this costume. I liked seeing your checklist of parts for this costume. I often do the same when planning a costume. I make a list of elements that I want. Decide which to buy, which to make myself. I'll start hunting down the right pieces on eBay. And it's very smart to be able to recycle parts of old costumes, using them in a totally new way. Finally of course, then there's the fun of seeing how all the different pieces come together as a whole!
By Lala
Thanks Ryan!!! :D I almost always will buy things for costumes that can be re-used to make other costumes or even wore as clothing. One of the main reasons I wanted the red jacket with my wedding dress was that I was going to use it in future costumes - I've already worn it in a pirate costume haha. If I buy a pre-made costume, I try to buy the best quality possible so I can re-use it with something else, or lend it to friends. What's funny is that I have a Nurse uniform that I wore for a Report Presentation (I was Clara Barton) in the 6th grade (lates 80's) The uniform is probably from the 60's - I've worn it a bunch (doesn't fit anymore though) and lended it out for years. and it's still in my closet. haha.

I am having a blast with my costume but difficulty with my husbands. I just can't find clothes (at a reasonable price) that will work. Forget finding a used vest in Boise, ID...hahaha...They are vest hoarders or something. I did find the PERFECT vest, but it was a size small. I made him try it on to even see if I could alter it but it would just take too much time. oh well.

I also got some things to make medals for our costumes - I'm planning on gluing a magnet to the medals, then a attach them to our costumes (my jacket, his vest) with a small piece of medal in the inside (If that makes sense, I used have to wear a magnetic nametag at one of the places I used to work, which is how I came up with this). I do not want to put a pinback on because my jacket is satin (and very special to me, as I wore it in our wedding) and a hole would look awful it in. I just think it will be easier.

Also have a problem with incorporating Star Wars into my husbands costume - I like SW, but I'm not as into it as him, and I am failing to be inspired (and he's not really helping, he'll wear any costume I make, but he doesn't participate in the making or design).

I'm thinking maybe a steampunked lightsaber...I don't know. help? haha

Edited to add: I am in love with this SW Steampunk (see the lightsaber?) but dude. It would take m forever to make!! (plus finding the materials cheaply. meh)

http://www.epbot.com/2012/08/diy-steamp ... saber.html
By zombombie
Love the steampunk lightsabre!

OK, firstly what you need to decide is, what is he going to be? If he's a Jedi then he NEEDS a lightsabre! Light Side or Dark Side?

Personally I'd buy one of the cheaper lightsabres, that has the extending plastic sword section attached:

The fact that it doesn't have any embelishments can work in your favour, because you can add what you like to it, and really personalise it - cogs, maybe an LED light underneath etc . Just remember to sand that plastic down before you paint it!

As far as clothes go, it depends on if he's Jedi or Sith! Jedi, then he needs lighter clothes. Sith, he needs darker clothes. Personally I think Sith will be easier.

Go for dark trousers and shoes/boots, a dark shirt, and a dark hat - not necessarily black, brown would work too. And from there it's ALL about details. For example, I couldn't find a waistcoat/vest for my costume so I went for braces instead, and of course - don't forget goggles! Chains hanging around pockets could work nicely too, from front to back.

Something else you could add would be a patch like this one:

It's the Imperial insignia - just adds a little more distinction to the costume.

And of course - EBAY IS YOUR FRIEND!
By Raven
Love everything you are planning on your costume, but that corset is to die for! I have a small collection of corsets and now I want to add to it!

I can't wait to see everything finished and I hope your husbands costume comes together easier for you. I know how it is, I finally got mine to dress up 2 years ago for the first time since he was a kid. Now he is excited to dress up each year and tells me his plans, but it's usually me looking for things for him. :roll:
I really like the idea of mixing Star Wars and Steampunk together. Who knows maybe some where in that far far away galaxy there is a system that has a planet that is inhabited by people who live the Steampunk life.
By Lala
RavensDestiny wrote:Love everything you are planning on your costume, but that corset is to die for! I have a small collection of corsets and now I want to add to it!

I can't wait to see everything finished and I hope your husbands costume comes together easier for you. I know how it is, I finally got mine to dress up 2 years ago for the first time since he was a kid. Now he is excited to dress up each year and tells me his plans, but it's usually me looking for things for him. :roll:
I know - I NEED that corset. I'm just waiting for payday so I can buy it! I know I'll use it until it doesn't fit (as I'm losing weight, I had weight loss surgery in May)
By Lala
Yes! I have pictures and a whole post saved as draft, I just need to get the motivation to organize and post it all!
By Lala
I've finally had time to work on my GUN! I am way too excited about it.

Here it is painted (it needs some touch ups, I know)

IMG_0282 by Lala (Shady Lane Studios), on Flickr

I was STOKED to find these gear like beads at Hobby Lobby!

IMG_0284 by Lala (Shady Lane Studios), on Flickr

Closer

IMG_0285 by Lala (Shady Lane Studios), on Flickr

IMG_0287 by Lala (Shady Lane Studios), on Flickr

See how they fit perfectly?

Also - I got the stuff together to make our medals/badges (all on CLEARANCE! clearance is my friend)

IMG_0180 by Lala (Shady Lane Studios), on Flickr

I will be putting those together tomorrow night and will post another pic. The black velvet ribbon is for my necklace, choker thingy.

I also ordered my corset and it will be here in a few days - only things left to do are make my skirt, embellish our hats , make belts..er... a lot. haha :lol: