Chronicle your costume creation and share photos of your disguise.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Glad you liked my Patch Master costume. That one was quite a hit. This year has been a bit more hectic than usual, so I had to opt for a costume that's a little less... elaborate.

It has a certain cool factor to it, I think. But just don't expect any beastly monster that will make the kids run screaming. Maybe I'll do that sort of costume again next year.
By tone
I'm still a fan of the ole' Jack Sparrow get-up from a few years back... savvy?

-Tone
By Zombie Pumpkins!
In 2005 I was the Patch Master. That costume was a lot of fun, but a bit cumbersome. My hat didn't fit through doorways. The mask prohibited my vision, which lead me to trip over a pumpkin. And my long fingers kept getting caught in doors.

So this year I opted for something a bit more comfortable. The perfect outfit to wear for a night at the pub (just watch out for darts to the head). I was Shaun of the Dead. Okay, so I don't have the face of Simon Pegg. But from the neck down, I think I did pretty well.

Don't let the seemly simple appearance fool you. This costume still took it's fair share of work. I bought a new belt and black dress pants. The white shirt was a thrift store score, and with the help of a fabric dye marker, I've got red on me. The name tag was a former credit card, converted with a "Foree Electric" decal I recreated. And that red tie with diagonal stripes had to be shipped all the way from Hong Kong.

But the most work went into that darn cricket bat. It's apparently not so easy to find a cricket bat here in the U.S. Especially not an old weathered one. I ordered one from a sporting goods store online. But it was a light wood color, with a grey handle and decals all over it.

I scraped off the decals, and sanded off the thick lacquer. Once I was down to the bare wood, I "aged" it with a hammer. Then I stained it a darker color. Then smashed a couple zombies in the head to get some blood on it (okay, okay, so it's red latex paint). Then sealed it with a spray polyurethane. Then wrapped the handle with black grip tape. When Z-Day comes, I'll be ready.

Which one is me? Can you tell!? Hint: I'm the slightly taller one.
Last edited by Zombie Pumpkins! on Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Hollow
"Purple Rain"?
No.
"Sign o' the Times"?
Definitely not.
The "Batman" soundtrack?
Throw it.
By Mister_JP
It's amazing how difficult finding the right accessories can be. I mean how tough is it to find a red striped tie? Apparently pretty tough!

I had to settle on several things for Piper too. He actually wore knee-high blue-striped socks, couldn't find those anywhere except online, but I never thought they would be difficult to get, so I didn't order them in time. Also, cheap blue kneepads... nowhere to be found. Even the kilt was difficult to get without breaking the bank. I drew the Hot Rod logo myself with Illustrator.

Great job on the cricket bat, most people wouldn't have put that much work into it.
By tone
Fantastic work, Ryan! And what a relief, too... finally finding out what your costume was. The tension's been overwhelming this past week! :wink:

I especially enjoy your description of the fabrication process. Your dedication each year has honestly become my favorite part of Halloween!

-Tone
By Tkaraoke
That's a 10 out of 10 for "cool" points, Ryan!
By Dans banana Loafcake
zombiepumpkins wrote: But the most work went into that darn cricket bat. It's apparently not so easy to find a cricket bat here in the U.S. Especially not an old weathered one. I ordered one from a sporting goods store online. But it was a light wood color, with a grey handle and decals all over it.
Dude you should have just asked me I've got a cricket bat that would have been wicked. Zombie blood on it and everything :D . No seriously I've got a couple of bats.

The costume rocks though, as you know I'm a details man when it comes to costumes so I can aprieciate the effort you went to. I think that 2007 is going to be a more practicle costume fro me.

10 out of 10 I love it. But did you not think to colour your hair ginger? :wink:

Dan
By cyberdman
Ryan - you are such a wholesome looking young man. :lol:

Nice costume.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Dans banana Loafcake wrote:But did you not think to colour your hair ginger? :wink:
I seriously considered doing the hair, actually. I even printed out some photos of Simon Pegg, which I was planning to bring to my barber/salon place, to see if they'd do it for me.

But I ultimately backed out. Several years ago I colored my hair red. Which looked great on Halloween, but my family thought it was a little strange when I still had red tips on Thanksgiving.