Chronicle your costume creation and share photos of your disguise.
By Batgirl
Here's my situation:

At work, since I'm the manager, I've told the employees that they can dress up every day the week of Halloween. But I won't allow anything scary or too risque (we work with children a lot).

So here's my question:
I'm looking for something that follows my guidelines, won't be too expensive, and will be comfortable to work in all day. What are some suggestions of a few costumes that I can wear for the week?

Thanks in advance!
:D
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I may not be one to offer advice. I've never dressed up for work (unless you count Zombie Pumpkins as my workplace). Most of my costumes are pretty elaborate, scary, and not all that comfortable to be honest. Gotta suffer for the art sometimes.

Anyway, someone else get the ball rolling. :)
By Batgirl
Yeah, these are just for work. I'm used to doing the creepy/scary/disturbing and uncomfortable costume, which is why I need help with these ideas.
By Hottie McNaughty
Well, pretty much any animal is safe. Keep it on the cutsey side and not too scary. Like traditional werewolf would be good but no fake blood or bone showing. I do Raggedy Ann a lot for kids stuff. It can be pretty elaborate still but not too scary or at all risque. I did Tragedy Ann once for a more adult theme.

Frankly I find all clowns to be super scary at all times. 'Poltergeist' really planted the idea and 'It' confirmed it beyond all doubt.

And then you can usually do the 'classic monster' as well because modern kids are rarely scared by them. I do Monster Bride a lot and people (plus kids) love it. Freddy Kruger might scare them. Know what I mean? Frankenstein, ok....Jigsaw, too scary.
By nosferatu
How about a Circus Theme? You could be the ring master.
Clown costumes are cheap - oversized old clothes or bought from a charity shop. Face paints are cheap too. The costumes are easily adaptable too.

It doesn't take much to change from a happy, childrens clown to a dark, sinister, evil clown for the after work Halloween Party when the childrens circus turns into the Circus of Freaks. The Ring Master very genial by day but evil at night? (Your colleagues probably think the reverse)
By paddy_babe
I think a witch/vampire with minimal make up wont be too scary....
or a fallen angel (devil/angel) you can get sets where they have the dress, horns and ragged wings.... wings might get in the way but horns might be better than hats/wigs. The sets arent expensive either.

If not, if you are artys crafty why not have a pretty simple costume and do some spiderwebs or something on your face with face paint (purple looks good, I did my friend's face years back). That way your halloweeny but nothing in the way and your comfy :)
By SuperSonic
a...ghostbuster....lol no thats just my nerd kicking in but i was thinking that if you sell costumes in your store then the employees can buy one of those if not then im lost on ideas
By SaneInsideInsanity
Faeries Angels, anything from disney....period costumes, pippy longstocking...look at children's books cartoons for examples group costumes are good too depending on how many people you work with Harry potter, Grease, Hippies, Flinstones Jetsoons any classic cartoon, A Band...twisted sister comes to mind i dont know why...there's lots :D
By badgers
Pirates are always fun, a Pirate Princess perhaps. Doctor or nurse is easy and usually pretty cheap costume wise.
By mesmark
badgers wrote:Pirates are always fun, a Pirate Princess perhaps. Doctor or nurse is easy and usually pretty cheap costume wise.
Those were going to be my suggestions.

A doctor lab coat can double as a mad scientist as well.

A black cloak (not cheap) can be used for a lot of characters; elf, munk, witch, grim reeper ...