Chronicle your costume creation and share photos of your disguise.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
loganjw wrote:How did you attach the mask to your head? I see something that looks like elastic straps? Also, how did you hinge it and make it stay?
Right, I used black elastic straps, purchased from the fabric store. One strap that was attached to either side, and one over the top of the head.

I glued velcro to the mask in those 3 spots, as well as on the ends of the elastic straps. So the straps are removable (if I want to hang the mask on the wall by itself, for example) and I could adjust it slightly for fit.

The jaw hinge was more of the same. Smaller pieces of elastic strap, attached to either side of the jaw with the velcro trick. Which means the jaw is removable for eating, drinking, and talking (it still looks pretty creepy without the jaw). When attached, the jaw goes down when I open my mouth, and the elastic straps pulls it back up when I close my mouth. It's a little more "low-tech" than I had originally wanted, but it does the trick.
Last edited by Zombie Pumpkins! on Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
By JenTheStrange
This is exactly something I wanted to make with my Ruminant (original to my own design) costume, the hinged jaw and the works.

I thought it was impossible because I didn't know what sort of material to use for the mask itself, but you've truly inspired me!
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Jen, I love the design of your Ruminant. If you make a mask of that, you'll totally have to share some photos.
By Dans banana Loafcake
Yeah and I second that! That art work was amazing too. :shock: Are you a costume/theatre designer?

Dan
By CanadianCarver
Ryan,
Can you briefly explain how you created the mold of your face using the Paperclay? This is an awesome mask!

Thanks,
Dustin
By JenTheStrange
Jen, I love the design of your Ruminant. If you make a mask of that, you'll totally have to share some photos.
Thanks! I definitely will once I can figure out how to make the design more realistic. I'm running out of time this month, but I really do want to do it for Halloween. I'm still looking for a type of clay or paper that will make it light but durable.
Yeah and I second that! That art work was amazing too. Are you a costume/theatre designer?

Dan
:D Wow! Way to make me blush! No, I'm not, I'm actually just a teenager looking for a design that would mimic a ruthless movie monster maybe seen in a Silent Hill or The Village type movie. I wanted to make something totally original. If you want to see a colored design, check here. That's a prototype of the colors I hope to use on the mask and the horns, also incorporating the glow sticks (more like glow orbs in that drawing) that I wanted to use. I have so many.

I too would like to know how Ryan molded his face. Did you use the face molding plastic things that you can buy at Hobby Lobby? Was the stuff hard to work with? Your design with the straps is ingenious.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
CanadianCarver wrote:Ryan,
Can you briefly explain how you created the mold of your face using the Paperclay?
Oops, sorry. I didn't see this question. Well, what I did was...

I bought a blank mask form at Michael's craft store. Of course, it didn't fit my large noggin, so I had to cut it up a little bit, to make sure the mouth and eye holes were i the right place.

Then I rolled some Paperclay into a flat sheet (with a rolling pin) cut it to about the size of the intended mask, and draped it over the mask form. Then I added more clay to build up some areas, cut some areas away, and shaped it until I was happy with the look.

Paperclay isn't wet and sticky like some clays, so as you work on it, you should be able to hold it up to your face to make sure the shape and eye-holes are lining up correctly.

I rushed this project, but it worked. In the future, I might try to shape it to my face more accurately. I've heard of using Activa Rigid Wrap to first make a cast of your face, which you can then build upon.

If you try mask making, good luck. Share pics!
By Dans banana Loafcake
Jen you have rare tallent. When I was a college studying furniture and product design, the Theatre design lot were only next door and my next door neighbour was one of them so I got to look around. You more that match thoses lot and they had three years of studying and training.

Have you thought what you want to do as a full time carrer, dont worry I'm no carrer's adviser.

Dan
By GUS
..for those in the uk wishing to follow ryans lead for designing your own mask, the most likely substitute here is an AMACO ???item called ..claycrete, instant papier mache.
mix with water for a really malleable papiermache mouldable for around 30 minutes, dries white, one lb bag makes 97.5 cubic inches of solid papier mache (apparantly)
1LB BAG OR 5 LB BAG
ALSO...

plasterform ..for a smoothish finish, cut to desired length wet in a bowl with waterthen shape. dry & decorate like you would any papier mache project.
(wireform works well for a base to apply this lot to if you wish to create a close fit or horns etc.)
all products available in your craftstore or try AMACO website uk /US

ALTERNATELY...

sculptamould (3lb bag) again a 30min papmache type thing.

We havent tried these ourselves BUT for those in the uk wanting some I'm happy to place an order for you as we have an account with the suppliers, (and are interested in it ourselves) leave a message here if you want some & i'll check the prices & availability for you, ..bear in mind post costs though!