Chronicle your costume creation and share photos of your disguise.
By heeljeff
So Halloween is on a Wed. My wife, daughter of one month and I will be staying home handing out candy. I'm wondering...Is it wrong to ask my wife to dress up like some bloody mess to be scary for when kids come trick-or-treating?
By CorpseBride
Not at all! The kids really like it. I usually party every year but still stay home long enough to hand out candies for the kiddies. And I am always dressed up. The kids around here call me Halloween girl. They love seeing my costumes...one kid last year said this to me...

"Hey...um....my mom sucks at Halloween. Would you make my costume next year?" :lol: it was so adorable.

I think it is a great idea for your wife to dress up. It doesn't have to be anything over the top but a little effort goes a long way.
By GUS
..just do it, adds to the overall fun!
(and EXACTLY what has been stated previously)

..you buy sweeties / candy.
..you dress your house / porch / garden
so going one step further in dressing yourself is logical progression.

My 3 1/2 yr old goes crazy for halloween at about the start of july (and yet she's never been trick or treating properly ..long story) no fear of 12 ft tall grim reapers, the zombie is her dressing up pal (who finds his way into her bed (chris/ christi ..as in Corpus Christi)
..so no fear from the immersed infant ever! (they'd let you know what's scarey anyhow) ..dress up slowly over a few days so the infant knows it's mummy & daddy
I dress up, The wife dresses up, and the kids go wild as its all too lacking elswhere so makes their evening(s)
(and if you do dress up get more candy in as you'll be visited more each year as word spreads amongst l'enfants terrible.

kids like the idea of being spooked... really ...check out you-tube for children & adults responses alike!

..we've got a great big werewolf creature reacher costume to leap out of the dark as the children depart this year, I have no qualms about it, it's all in the origins and pre-amble to halloween!

..the real accolade from a childs mouth is when you hear it from the childrens mums that they save your house till last because all the other houses are a let down by comparison :? ..shame but cool ..as kids gear up for holidays (esp halloween when their minds can run riot) in much the same way we do
By heeljeff
Thanks for the replies! We planned on having my wife answer the door as I struggle to keep our over-protective german shepherd away from the trick-or-treaters (on second thought she should probably be locked in the basement temporarily for everyone's sake). So, my plan was to have her dress up and not me.
Yeah I feel somewhat guilty since she is more of a happy clown type instead of scary monsters, and I would be laughing away in my comfortable jeans and sweatshirt, but it's halloween and scary is the only way to go!
By GUS
Definitely put the G. Shepherd away & locked!
(we have 3 boxers kept in thick galvanised steel pigpen that I picked up at my local agriculteral show ..because they're such a bunch of larikins!

..for a cheap& good costume theres some very good Zombie outfits available for around 20 bucks (we have to pay double In POUNDS!! for the same outfit go look around ebay as they;re better than the average quick fix costume if either of you have to swap at some point (ie she's sick of you laughing) ..consists of a combination wig mask, rotting hands gloves, shirt & trousers with bones protruding with a rotted flesh ribcage sewn into the shirt!

...got one for my little girl it's GOOD! & quick to put on & off.
(perhaps someone knows the outfit i mean & can pop a pic up?
By heeljeff
I've definitely decided to put the crazy dog away for the two hours or so that we'll have kids coming.
Locally we have a Party City, but their costs are high and quality is quite poor. I may stop by for some ideas. Ebay always escapes my mind for some reason. I'm probably the only person in the world who has never shopped there. Definitely worth a shot.
Last year we used Buycostumes.com, and were completely satisfied, though again you pay top dollar.
If worst comes to worst we could go to the local Srubs and Beyond and throw around some red food coloring...Instant horror dr!
By GUS
i THINK the costumes I meant were by a firm called fun-world (but if you browse the zombie costumes on ebay you'll see em!

+ also they're cheap on seasons expressd website out your way!
By badgers
Yeah I feel somewhat guilty since she is more of a happy clown type instead of scary monsters, and I would be laughing away in my comfortable jeans and sweatshirt, but it's halloween and scary is the only way to go!
Even happy clown types can be scary to some kiddies --- especially one with a little blood spatter on the front of his/her costume. Those clowns with really big smiles on their faces can be quite scary, what the heck are they smiling about anyway? Maybe it's because of what they just fed that German Sheppard thats locked in the basement. :lol: :twisted:
By heeljeff
The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
I even tried the old "Of course if you don't want to then that's fine, I just thought it would be fun" last night.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Even happy clown types can be scary to some kiddies
I can see your point...If necessary it'll do. Better something than nothing of course.
also they're cheap on seasons expressd website out your way
Are you referring to www.halloweenexpress.com?
Too bad funworlds website is under construction, though they do show a decent looking skeleton...
By GUS
yes hallowen express in the uk is an empty |(not from sales from lack of stock)
..but input Zombiecostume into search & it comes up in multiples..