Chronicle your costume creation and share photos of your disguise.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I was at the local Halloween shop yesterday, when I noticed that one of the mannequin props flanking the doorway wasn't a mannequin at all. It was a guy in costume, coming to life and scaring people as they walked by. The costume was all black tattered cloth, with wings and a full skull mask.

But what I thought was really cool was the fact that this monster was on stilts. Enough to make him taller than everyone, and have an unnatural walk that was quite creepy. Very effective. :shock:

So this of course got me thinking of ways I might incorporate these kind of stilts to add that extra touch of bizarre to my Halloween disguise. Has anyone here ever made, bought, or used any small stilts for costume purposes?
Last edited by Zombie Pumpkins! on Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By FatFarley
never used stilts for a costume but I have used stilts for hanging drywall. They work awesome and just strap to your legs. They're completely adjustable for height.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I've seen those drywall stilts, but I think they might be a little too tall for my uses, even at their lowest setting. But aside from that, I think they're kinda expensive, no? If I were to raise myself up, it would likely be a set homemade type stilts.
By StyleTee
yeah, drywall stilts can get pretty expesive. i'd stay away from buying them, especially since you'll be using them only once (though you can probably get away with returning them when you're done, especially if you buy them from lowe's or home depot). you're pretty creative though, so i'm sure you can come up with a homemade concoction.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Ok, well I went back the Halloween store (Spirit, by the way) and directly asked the stilt monster about his creepy leg extensions. Turns out they cost well over $100. So maybe this idea isn't so financially practical.

I ended up chatting with this dude for a good 10 or 15 minutes. Cool guy. Turns out he also works at the local "Trail of Terror" haunt which I mentioned in this thread. So he knows what he's doing. He told me that he once wore this costume to some downtown bars, cleaning up in all the costume contests. When you're over 7 feet tall, you make an impression.

He once fell off his stilts and cracked his head open... and yet he stuck around to wait for the costume judging (all the while, blood running down his neck) before heading to the E.R. for stitches. Now that's devotion.

So at this point, I think I'll hold off on the stilt idea, until I have this little thing called health insurance. Although, when you're winning a lot of cash prizes for your costume, I guess you can afford those hospital trips. :lol:
By taber
Did he win? Cuz that would suck if he lost after waiting there with a head wound.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Oh, he won alright. Like 1000 bucks or something too. Or maybe that was the grand total of all contests. I guess that kind of money is worth letting your head bleed out for a little while.
By taber
Sort of! What wouldn't you do for 1000 bucks!? I wouldn't hanglide into a pile of trees. Unless they were wooden!
By taber
Just don't use them on ice!