Chatting haunted houses, horror cons and spooky theme parks.
By Euri
Hello ZP friends!

This year a friend has hired me to help her plan, construct, and set up a haunted hollow at a local historical farm. The theme is Grimm's Hollow of Terror. If you read the actuall Grimm's tales they are really pretty ghastly. We have been having so much fun putting twisted versions on the fairy tales; it's been the best job I've ever had.

However, yesterday we found out that the independent group that was doing half of the hollow backed out. We have 2 1/2 weeks before opening and we are trying not to feel the panic that we now have that little time to fill the whole thing. I am coming to you hoping that you can help us fill in gaps, suggest better/more things that might fill in or add to what we've got. At this point my brain is feeling tired and I'm looking for great ideas.

This is what we've got so far:
At the entrance:
Jakob Grimm- he'll be handing out maps telling more details about the stories we've used because we don't expect all of them to be familiar.

We start by going down a covered bridge strung with lanterns. As you approach the end, a warped, slowed down version of Heigh-Ho will be playing. We will have a dwarf chained to a mining cart in zombified makeup. Snow White (either a dummy or a real person) will be bound and gagged to a coffin, like she was going to be buried alive. We'll have a cracked mirror, and the Wicked Witch handing out apples.

Next we have a low limb on a small hill. We will have a fellow in a hidden body harness with a noose. He will look dead, but will suddenly twitch and frantically point in the next direction and slump back down again.

On another branch we will have a dummy Rapunzel hung from a noose made of her own hair. And just down from her we will have a prince dummy skewered through the back by a pitchfork and posted as a trophy on the road.

We have a dillapadated carriage for Cinderella and her prince. The carriage will have crashed and they will be dead inside. The two stepsisters will be real. They will have their feet bloodied and one will be blind from the ravens that have pecked out her eyes. The evil stepmother will be laughing manically and ushering people on to the next area.

We have some wrought iron fences and an archway with a tarnished flickering chandelier that will take you right past Sleeping Beauty. She will be a decomposed corpse that will be oozing body fluid dangerously close to the walking path.

Then you will pass a boy sitting on a crate with an apple in hand his sister is trying to get him to wake up when his head falls off. She screams and the stepmother says that they will chop him up for the stew. This is from the story of the Juniper Tree.

Next is Little Red Riding Hood skipping happily through the trees, she goes around a corner and screams. You will hear two blank shots go off and then you see the woodsman with a bloody axe and little reds torn cloak and a wolf pelt hanging near him while he is roasting marshmallows.

Hansel and Gretel will come walking by looking very cute, but will stop and look at you with an evil face and laugh. On one side is the candy house and then on the other you see the witch with a huge cauldron. Next to the cauldron we will have a large pile of bones (cow bones, but they are real) and piles of bloody torn up kids clothes. She will approach and ask whose next for the pot.

We are looking into doing something with the Goose Girl, and The Princess in the Coffin and the Sentry, The Seven Ravens; but those details are still hazy and I've made this long enough.

At the end we will have Wilhelm Grimm handing out treats wishing everyone a happily ever after.

In just thinking about it I'm hoping it will be scarier than it sounds. Any thoughts???
By SaneInsideInsanity
I WANNA GO!
seriously this sound awesome
what about doing some thing with the wolf and the seven little kids...some sort of blood scarifice alter perhaps
The twelve brothers is another one of my favs i dont know how you could make it creepy though
and the girl without hands
By Euri
Hmm, we could try to work in the girl without hands... I'll see what we can do.

We just got a call from the local paper. They said that our theme wasn't the typical haunted house stuff so they are coming out do an article and take pictures. :shock: It should be fun. I'll see if I can post pics when we are finished with stuff.

Thank you both for your positive vibes! I really feel much better. :D
By GUS
definitely a new slant, sounds like hard work getting it spot on but worthwhile putting to put together.
By Doh
I would help you out Euri but I'm just not artistic/creative in any way. If you think that there is something I could help you with, let me know.
By blueikaos
I wanna go!
This sounds amazing! I really have no other input as my mind isn't that creative.

But wow....I hope everything works out well for you! SOunds like its gonna be GREAT!
By CombichristGirl
even a few teaser pics lol i feel the veins in my arm poppin lmao
By Cranous
Universal Studios did a "Fractured Fairy Tales" house last year, but your ideas sound a lot better. The cinderalla car crash is very original! Wish I could be there! Did you consider something with Rumplestiltskin? Maybe him using a spinning wheel to the queen's hair into gold - while it is still attached to her? Some of the things Universal did last year might help inspire you.

- Goldilocks - They had a giant bear chase you out of his house using a strobe light effect
- Hansel and Gretel's house smelled like burning garbage
- Costume ideas - they did Mother Goose as a pregnant elderly woman and the Pied Piper choking on a rat in his mouth. Red Riding Hood had a bloodied head of a wolf in her basket.

Good luck!
By Euri
Thanks, everyone for the support and the ideas. I LOVE The idea of boiling cabbage in Hansel and Gretel. It would be perfect! Today I am going to be getting the house set up and decorated candy house with black and red striped candy canes; black, yellow, green, purple neccos on the roof, poofy pink frosting... Then I have to make a decomposed Sleeping Beauty, should be a fun day. :lol:

Soon we will start on the props for the Goose Maid. I'm going to be creating a severed horse head that is a puppet so we can make the head 'speak' and condem the handmaiden to be drug in the barrel spiked with nails.

I'm crossing my fingers that I can get everything to look the way I can see it in my mind. D'oh, if I need help I will be sure to let you know. You never know when you might need a lackey. :wink: But I really appreciate it.

Pics... yep when I get some taken I'll post 'em! Huh, you know the best part is that I actually get paid to do this? What more could a Halloween fan ask?