Prepping everything from pumpkin pies to party platters.
By Dadja
The weather here in Belgium is so wet and windy, you'd think it's Halloween already. It did make me make my first bowl of pumpkin soup this year.

What I wanted to ask was: a few years ago I tried to make pumpkin pie. I thought it tasted horrible. Now I don't know, perhaps I just don't like it in general or maybe it just wasn't a proper recipy. Does anyone have a recipe for a good pumpkin pie? If it's like a family secret, I'm willing to trade for a great pumpkin pancakes recipe : :roll:
By Aylortay
I can't take credit for this one (found it online), but I make it every year to rave reviews. It's not your typical "dense" pumpkin pie, it's more of a chiffon, but it's VERY good. Especially with the cinnamon streusel topping!!! I use graham cracker for the premade crust. Oh and also, I try to use fresh pumpkins and make my own puree, but I'm a giant cooking dork so there you go.

1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 egg whites
1 (9 inch) unbaked pie shell

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter, chilled
1 cup chopped walnuts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
In a large bowl, mix together the pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, and egg yolks. Stir in 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. In a large glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold into pumpkin mixture. Pour filling into pie shell.
Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven. While the pie is baking, prepare the streusel topping: In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Blend in the cold butter with a fork or pastry blender until the mixture is crumbly. Mix in the chopped nuts. Sprinkle the topping over the pie.
Reduce the heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bake an additional 40 minutes, or until set.
By Wedge
okay Dadja how do you make pumpkin soup? might be something I have to try this year
By Kittie
Yeah I want to know too!! I have made Pumpkin ice cream before. . oh is it good!
By Dadja
Wedge wrote:okay Dadja how do you make pumpkin soup? might be something I have to try this year
Pumpkin soup is really easy actually.

Just take about one kg of pumpkin (after removing skin and seeds), and cut it into pieces. Chop 2 onions. Do everything into a stewing pot or sumething and warm it for about 2 or 3 minutes, add about 2l of hot water ( more or less until everything's covered), add two or three Vegetable Bouillon Cubes (depends on how much water you've used) and bring it all to a boil.

After about 45 minutes all the pumpkin will be cooked and soft, (to check: you should be able to mash it with fork). Mix everything, and a teaspoon of curry powder and some cream. Add salt and ground pepper to own taste. Let simmer for another 15 minutes and it's done...

One thing: it's best not to use to much water right away, after mixing it, if it's too thick, you can always add some more water, if you added too much in the beginning, you can't remove it :lol:

Ooh, if you can use these pumpkins:
They're ratehr small, but one should be sufficient for onw bowl of soup, they're quite dark orange, but taste amazing... I think they're a japanese variaty or something...

It's really easy, I learnt it in the first grade or something :P
By Wedge
That is something I am going to have to try this year
By Wedge
Made the soup tonight and the roommates and myself loved it. Thanks