Prepping everything from pumpkin pies to party platters.
By Nikki
Has anyone actually done this? I would like to try this but I honestly don't know how :? Instead of going out and buying them I'd like to make them along with the other goodies for the feast...

Help? Recipes?
By Wedge
There are all types of ways to do them. I usually go for the plain. Just clean them off, a little pumpkin guts doesn't hurt it, adds a little flavor. Dry them off and put them on a greased cookie sheet. Cook at 350 for about 15-20 until they golden brown. Keep in longer if you like them a little more crunchy.
You can also salt them before you put them in or I have also heard using chili powder for spicy seeds. You can add just about anything to make your prefect seeds. Hope this helps you out.
Wedge
By bronkula
i was just looking up "myths pumpkin stem" on google, and found this interesting site, that has words to say about picking pumpkins and roasting seeds.

http://www.inmamaskitchen.com/

plus, i just love the name inmamaskitchen
By Nikki
Awesome :) Thanks you guys! I'll be doing over 5 pumpkins so I should have more than enough seeds :twisted:
By Dragon
If I remember correctly, I preheat oven to 350. I spread out the seeds on a baking sheet and I spritz heavily with "I can't believe it's not butter!" spray, use a small wooden spoon to mix the seeds around on the pan, spritz again, and salt it. I pop it in and normally it'll be around 30 minutes before they start turning golden brown. Taste a seed, if it's still juicy, keep them in there for a bit longer.

I bake the seeds as soon as I'm done with the pumpkins. I don't even dry them or let them soak for 8 hours or any other instructions. I just clean them in a strainer and get on with baking them.
By Nikki
Do you generally eat Pumpkin seeds with the shells or are they like sunflower seeds- you crack the shell off?

I've only had store bought pumpkin seeds.....that was YEARS ago :roll:
By Wedge
just like sunflower seeds....crack them open and enjoy the seed on the inside.
By Nikki
Awesome :) Thanks again
By Jack
Eather way the shells won't hurt you.
By Nikki
This is good to know! :twisted:
By Dragon
I did not know they could be cracked open as sunflower seeds... I eat them with shells because I don't see how they could be cracked open. But then again, I don't eat sunflower seeds so I never got the art down of cracking open seeds. :lol:

I never ever eat pumpkin seeds from the store. I have tried but they are ultimately disgusting. For a long time, I dared not eat seeds that came out of the pumpkin until I decided to try it. My personal seeds tasted way different than the store-bought seeds.
By sodajazz
always thought of planting seeds... but its the looking after them that lets me down :cry:

when i was a kid everyone use to say that if you ate apple seeds, when you died an apple tree grew out of your stomach :roll:

never seen apple trees in a cemetry :!:

wonder if the same goes for pumpkin seeds :idea:
By Dragon
I must be the only one I know of that save a few seeds to plant them the next year. I have never ever grown a pumpkin big enough to carve. They're always small so I end up painting a traditional jack-o-lantern face on them and stick them on a railing. This year, I had three growing but only one survived in the end. I think the intense heat during the summer had dried out the pumpkin plant faster than I could water it.

I was told the same thing with cucumber. "Don't eat it... or the seeds will grow. They'll come out your ears and nose!" :lol:
By stormqueen29
My favorite method is to rinse the seeds well in a strainer to remove as much pulp as possible. I soak mine in strong salt water, about 1/2 cup salt to 4 cups water, for 2 hours before I bake them. The salt soaks into the skins, so they taste salty, but it's not too strong like it can be with sprinkling salt on the outside.

I bake them at 350 for about an hour, with them spread thin on a cookie sheet. I spray the cookie sheet with cooking spray so they don't stick, and stir them once or twice during baking. They keep for months in a tightly covered jar.

Gale
By Nikki
Haha one of my friends to this DAY refuses to eat any kind of seed because he's paranoid that they will grow inside him. He's 20... :roll:

I'm deffinitley planning on making some pumpkin seeds! We're planning to party that night so we'll need the grub!

I also want to plant some seeds...I'll have more than enough except I have a LOT of critters on my hill in the backyard: Snakes, Squirells, Cats, Birds....

Let's HOPE they don't all get dug up and eaten! :?