Any creepy topic that doesn't fit the categories below.
By Dredge
I'm not typically one to say anything or call anyone out, but this kind of rubs me the wrong way. That's a direct competitor (in my opinion) of Ryan's. Driving traffic to their site by using Ryan's forums if nothing else is inconsiderate.

As I stated, I very rarely call anyone out for these types of things, but I feel like Ryan puts too much work into the site for the users to link competitors.
Dredge wrote:I'm not typically one to say anything or call anyone out, but this kind of rubs me the wrong way. That's a direct competitor (in my opinion) of Ryan's. Driving traffic to their site by using Ryan's forums if nothing else is inconsiderate.

As I stated, I very rarely call anyone out for these types of things, but I feel like Ryan puts too much work into the site for the users to link competitors.
Completely agree.
By heeljeff
Dredge wrote:I'm not typically one to say anything or call anyone out, but this kind of rubs me the wrong way. That's a direct competitor (in my opinion) of Ryan's. Driving traffic to their site by using Ryan's forums if nothing else is inconsiderate.

You're taking this way to seriously. I don't see anything wrong with mentioning another site on a discussion forum. The fact is that we know ryan makes great patterns but can't possibly get to everyone's request. Some people will beg him to no end for patterns when they could drop a few bucks and get it elsewhere. Yay Capitalism!
Are we not to discuss JP's site either? We all know about it. He makes great patterns too. Ryan-feel free to weigh in and delete this post if you feel necessary.
zombombie wrote:

Completely agree.
Same here. Zombie Pumpkins! all the way!
Had to remove the original post in this thread, which was a bit too blatant of a plug for another site. Never mind that it was a "competitor site," it's bad form to post a website addresses as the title of the topic, especially with little content added to the accompanying post, because it makes it unclear if it's shameless promotion or an innocent suggestion.

But I'll leave these responses because it brings up an interesting point. Clearly there are several pumpkin pattern sites out there. And many of you might be members of some or all of them. As long as you're a member here, that's all that matters to me. :lol:

However, since this is the website I've created, and the community I've cultivated for years, and the web servers I pay for... do you think a "competing" site should be able to flagrantly promote here? Or should the pumpkin talk on this forum be for more general interest or ZP-centric topics (with other sites promoting their designs on their respective forums, etc)?

I suppose I'm sort of leading you with the wording of my question. ;) But still, I'm curious of your overall opinions, either way. I always want to promote freedom of discussion, but understandably also have to protect my best interests as well.
By Dredge
heeljeff wrote:

You're taking this way to seriously. I don't see anything wrong with mentioning another site on a discussion forum. The fact is that we know ryan makes great patterns but can't possibly get to everyone's request. Some people will beg him to no end for patterns when they could drop a few bucks and get it elsewhere. Yay Capitalism!
Are we not to discuss JP's site either? We all know about it. He makes great patterns too. Ryan-feel free to weigh in and delete this post if you feel necessary.
This is fuzzy logic. The ONLY people that are going to see that link are members of this site (or visitors) so how could you possible use the defense that he cant get to everyone, so that's the reason you posted it?

If they are simply a visitor to the site, but not yet a member, and happen to prefer the other website, then guess what....Ryan just lost a potential member, and for the price of 2 of the other guys patterns they could have unlimited patterns here AND helped out Ryan's great charity for this year.
The guys that run those other site also post here, I don't think Ryan has a problem with people posting pictures of carves from other sites. I mostly just do ZP patterns but I do a few from other sites each year. But I'm not sure how Ryan feels about posting links to other peoples sites.
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:Had to remove the original post in this thread, which was a bit too blatant of a plug for another site. Never mind that it was a "competitor site," it's bad form to post website addresses as the title of the topic, especially with little content added to the accompanying post. Makes it unclear if it's shameless promotion or an innocent suggestion.

But I'll leave these responses because it brings up an interesting point. Clearly there are several pumpkin pattern sites out there. And many of you might be members of some or all of them. As long as you're a member here, that's all that matters to me. :lol:

However, since this is the website I've created, and the community I've cultivated for years, and the web servers I pay for... do you think a "competing" site should be able to flagrantly promote here? Or should the pumpkin talk on this forum be for more general interest or ZP-centric topics (with other sites promoting their designs on their respective forums, etc)?

I suppose I'm sort of leading you with the wording of my question. ;) But still, I'm curious of your overall opinions, either. I always want to promote freedom of discussion, but understandly also have to protect my best interests as well.
I hate to bring St0ney up, but he comes to mind as someone who runs another site. However, we all know that he is a HUGE contributor to this site, and I don't think I have ever seem him flat out say, "Hey check out my site". I think under certain circumstances its ok to mention other sites, but to simply say "Hey have you seen this site" with no real reason to post it. It just seems like you are shamelessly plugging it.

I have seen (on occasion) if it is close to the holiday and someone wants a particular pattern and we know Ryan can't get to it, the minions will help the other out to find the pattern that they want on another website, but we never do that sort of thing this early in the season. I hope this makes sense and that I'm not just rambling.
heeljeff wrote:Apologies to all... I misunderstood the forums as a community of carvers, not a community of ZP carvers. I've PM'd back and forth with Ryan, and cleared it up. Everyone can relax.
I didn't mean for it to come across as a scolding or anything. I'm sorry if I made it sound that way. I think we are all pacifists here for the most part. I just saw an opportunity to bring up a good talking point on this.

I don't think anyone was upset by it.
It's a little tricky really. While I don't really like posting links to other sites or say, sending a private message to a member telling them to go to their site instead of ZP, I've seen plenty of carving pictures of patterns from other sites. I've posted them myself, although I kinda feel like I have some dirty little secret I don't want Ryan to know about. That however is more like showing off our hard work and carving skills, which may promote another site, but more indirectly than say posting a link to another site. You will see JP's and Stoney's name pop up in the forum's, but not a whole discussion on their site and patterns.

I don't belong to any other carving site forums and sometimes I want to talk about another site or patterns. I use Facebook for that now where I have other 'kin carvers and even a whole group that isn't specific to one site in particular.

I think of it like this. If you stood outside Target with a sign advertising Walmart, or went inside and started telling their customers Walmart had the same stuff only cheaper, someone from Target would probably ask you to stop. They probably wouldn't allow it and they certainly don't advertise other stores specials in their store. While you may be curious if Walmart has a better price on something or better selection, you're going have to go to Walmart to find out.
I think Dredge is right in that its inappropriate and just a bit tactless.

I don't know of any brand that would allow plugs for rival products. Those that generally do, don't remain in business for long. Ultimately, Ryan has invested financially and creatively into his brand Zombie Pumpkins!, he needs to protect his interests not only for his sake but also for ours.

Whilst most people who use the forum on a regular basis are loyal ZP! diehards, there will be those who have differing priorities. In general, we are here for the full package, the patterns, the tees, the forum, the interaction with the owner, etc Even the most exclusive membership package that gives us bonus stencils doesn't cost very much at all. We need to protect that because I don't know about you but I'm very much looking forward to the next decade of ZP!

That's why as forum members if we spot copyright infringement or other abuses we report them because it matters to us. So whilst, we may appear to be over protective, we consider ourselves to be protecting a friends property.
I was asked to post the name of pattern makers when I post my photos to give them credit for the pattern they created. I think this is a fair thing to do. Is that appropriate to do on ZP. I carve any and all patterns as long as I think they are cool.
Well this is a Tough Topic to post on.

For I'm A competitor and a Fan/Member of Zombie Pumpkins! I haven't re-newed my membership yet, for ALL I have carved to date is ALL Custom Orders.
And I'm not doing the farm thing this year, so I wont be carving as much as I have in the past.

Now besides the pattern site and custom Pats & Carves, I also have a web forum, Where folks post ANY and ALL carvings made from many different Sources.
There's Many Carvings that are posted from Zombie Pumpkins Patterns on my forum.
And I want the Carver to post where the Pattern came from, If these post can bring Zombie pumpkins More or New business it's a good thing.
Another reason, is I don't want folks to think that pattern is sitting on my site, I'm out to sell my patterns, not Trick folks into buying credits and find that pattern is on another site. Like this site 90% of the carvings are from my own Loyal members carving from my own patterns.

When I post on here, I pretty much walk on egg shells, always trying to be careful, not to make it look like I have a Alternative MOTIVE to Plug my site or steal members etc... For that's not the case at all, I simply just Love everything about carving pumpkins, new ways to do it, easier ways to do it, etc...

I Hardly ever even comment on someone's carving if it was my pattern that was used. In Fact I hardly mention my sites name.
I will only chime in if someone has a question about the carve, and the Poster/Carver did not reply.

What you guys Don't See, Is the MANY PM's I send to Ryan about his patterns found on other websites.
and there's been Many over the years. How many Other Pattern sites, that will get an opportunity to be interviewed by a newspaper, And then Plug / mention Zombie Pumpkins in the same interview??? In the Past I handed out cards at the Farm directing People to Zombie Pumpkins, Each year I would pick one day, and carve nothing but ZP Patterns, and Promote this Site.

So It's all Good !

Like Ryan I work my A$$ off on my site, I spend a lot of time and Money on it.

Last year I hired a programmer to make downloading easier for my customers. A customer can add say (for the number is countless)
But for example sake: they can add 100 patterns to the shopping cart, when they check out, there's ONE zip file to download.
inside the zip is the 100 patterns they picked and 300x300 MOCKS of those Patterns.

This Cost me $750.00 Bucks - Just so my customers have an Easier Download experience.
i know of a number of pattern sites that have patterns that people request and i dont say anything it just seems disrespectful to me. but if i carve them and post them ill put the artist's name under the photo. but i look and the people on here like StOny (I'm sorry you seem to be on every ones short list today :wink: ) who dont shamelessly plug their own site or use ryan's site against him but subtly put it as their tag and website WAIL promoting and supporting other yeah i am more likely to go to them too. its called sportsmanship we were supposed to learn it in gym class.